Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peg_in_oregon

Best yellow mini?

peg_in_oregon
18 years ago

I'm very very new to miniature roses - although not to roses in general. I would like to plant 3 yellow mini's around the base of my Hot Cocoa Tree Rose & am looking for suggestions. Lots of bloom & no disease. : )

Comments (21)

• Joluvs311
    18 years ago

I currently have 8 Cal Poly Mini planted in my garden. So far with one of my Hybrid Tea's sprouting Powdery Mildew and BS like heck, they've been resistant to it all. Nice small bright yellow blooms. Mine are forming buds right now. I don't know if they're the best but I'm sure they'll be okay for your zone. Here's the link for Uncommon Rose's site. They have some general information about the Cal Poly's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Uncommon Rose-Miniatures

• cuyahogakid
    18 years ago

I think 'Candleflame' is a yellow that could heat up your 'Hot Cocoa'. It is new to me this year, however; it has not had any diseases yet and seems to be a good bloomer.

This summer I have been misting the roses (only once) in the early afternoon after the roses go into the shade. That washing seems to keep the leaves free of blackspot and mildew.
    Plus they look refreshed afterward.

I to really like 'Cal Poly'. You could also look at 'Jackpot'(good color), 'Sequoia Gold'(long lasting bloom), 'Sequoia Twist'(very unique), 'Ring of Fire'(I just got it.).

• Joluvs311
    18 years ago

Wow hey thanks for giving me some new ideas. My CP's are all budding right now and I'm just getting absolutely tickled to see them in action. I'm cheesy though... real reason why I even considered CP's over all the other options for yellow mini's is that Cal Poly is my alma mater. Extra Cheese!

Peg hope we helped a little.

• hemnancy
    18 years ago

I don't know where these are available, I got them at Justice before they quit business, but Sequoia Gold, Baby Eclipse, and Pacific Serenade are great bloomers for me. PS gets tall and loaded with blooms, SG has very long-lasting blooms with great form.

• sharky49
    18 years ago

Has anyone seen or been lucky enough to purchase the new robbie tucker rose "Ty". It is supposed to be a really great yellow exhibiton rose. Please let us know if you have seen it and give us the scoop. Thanks

• smurphy405
    18 years ago

I second Pacific Serenade. Great little rose. Heavy bloomer, long lasting and good form. No disease in my area. I want Ty also. How nice to name it after a child to honor his graduation. My daughters don't need to be looking for their own rose--LOL.

• User
    18 years ago

I'll have to look into Ty also. There aren't a whole lot of good EXHIBIION yellows. Fairhope is listed as a light yellow but it looks like off white or cream to my eyes.

• lacytv
    18 years ago

Luis Desamero is a good exhibition yellow, but it's a lot paler in color that I would like.

I think a Ring of Fire would look fabulous with Hot Cocoa, but mine's not a particularly abundant bloomer.

• lacytv
    18 years ago

Woah, now that I finally tracked downa pic of Ty, I have got to have one!

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    18 years ago

Buttermint has nice form...

• the_morden_man
    18 years ago

I'm partial to Sunhit and June Laver and as a mini climber, Laura Ford.

• vissara
    18 years ago

I got a yellow/red blend from Heirloom that I love that might go well there it's called Ring of Fire. Thier mini site is http://www.johnsminiatureroses.com

• User
    18 years ago

That yellow mini climber Laura Ford (aka King Tut) is hard to find. I went to helpmefind.com and I couldn't find an American source for this rose. :-[

• vissara
    18 years ago

I'm sure I've seen that one at Heirloom's gardens, it's not in the catalog but you might try calling them, sometimes they have stock they don't list becuase they only have one or two.

• User
    18 years ago

Cal Poly is my best deep yellow Mini of all. Superior performer and great color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cal Poly

• marisag
    18 years ago

I love, love Breath of Spring. Purchased two because of a garden webbers recommendation. Pretty exhibition blooms, nice repeat.

• ginni77
    18 years ago

It may be a bit late since you first posted this in July, but here's a thread DiggerDave started about Rise 'n' Shine. He has some photos here and they are gorgeous!

Ginni

Here is a link that might be useful: Rise 'n' Shine thread

• peter_rabbit
    18 years ago

The best varieties I currently grow are Behold, Breath of Spring and Erin Alonso. Erin is my favorite!

• gdionelli
    18 years ago

I got Sweet Diana from Bridges in June. It has bloomed continuously all summer, but never so profusely as right now, in mid-October with the temperatures in the 40s at night and 60s to 70s in the daytime. The dark green foliage seems impervious to disease, even though several nearby roses have been hit with blackspot. I'm really impressed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Diana at Bridges

• purpleroses
    18 years ago

Cal Poly.

always in bloom

Named after the college I graduated from ... Yeah!

• susan82
    18 years ago

Sequoia Gold
    Rainbow's End
    Rise 'n Shine

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting