Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

Seedlings!!

hartwood
16 years ago

I posted a photo of my new seedlings over in the Rose Gallery. This prompted some questions, so I have decided to take the discussion over here to keep the Gallery thread on topic.

The seedlings, photo taken Dec. 18.

I had never thought about starting roses from seed until I read a thread somewhere here about growing seedlings through the winter. After a few quick instructions (which are simple, BTW), it looks like things are successful.

What I did to get to this point:

1. All of my seeds have come from open-pollinated hips. Some hips I left to ripen on my own roses, some I pocketed from roses I saw this fall.

2. I cut open the hips, cleaned the pulp off the seeds, and I placed them on folded wet paper towels in zipper sandwich bags, and I popped them into the crisper of my basement fridge. I marked each bag with the name of the seed parent and the date.

3. After the seeds had spent two months in the fridge (or a little longer in the case of a few of the bags), I figured it was time to plant the seeds and see what would happen. I used sterile seed-starting commercial mix in a greenhouse-type flat (the one you can buy that comes with the clear fitted lid). I poked holes throughout the bottom of the flat to allow for drainage. Seeds are planted fairly close together, since I'll be repotting them after they get their first set of leaves, in rows marked with the name of the seed parent.

The seeds were planted last week, on Monday the 10th I believe, and I'm completely shocked to have seedlings this soon. From now on, I plan to handle them just like I would any other type of seeds that I start for the garden. After I pot them into cells, they will spend the winter in my basement (about 60 degrees down there) under grow lights on a timer programmed to provide 14 hours of light per day.

Since this is the first time I have tried rose seeds, I am really excited each day to see what's happening. I doubt I have the next New Dawn or Gemini down there, but it's a good thing to do to feed the need to garden when it's winter.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Gallery discussion

Comments (15)

• object16
    16 years ago

Henry Kuska grows his seedlings with the lights on 24/7. I've used his method for germination (a lot more involved than what you managed to accomplish - congratulations!) and grew out 220
    Rugosa seedlings some years ago. I kept my lights on 24/7, and currently I'm growing about 60 rooted rose cuttings, with the lights on 24/7. You'll get much more growth, more roots, more stems and more leaves that way, just a much bigger plant to put out in the spring! Cheers, Paul Mozarowski.

• erasmus_gw
    16 years ago

Hi, congratulations, Connie. So you planted your seeds before they had sprouted? I am trying seeds this year also and have them in my fridge right now. I was thinking they'd need to sprout in the paper towel before planting. Have you used peroxide in your water for the paper towels? If not, did you get any mold? I got mold on ones I tried last year and threw them out. I think I read recently that mold won't hurt them.

That's interesting about the 24/7 light recommendation, Object. I went to Henry Kuska's site but didn't see that part I guess.
    Linda

• mary1nys
    16 years ago

Connie that is really neat great! I am trying this this year as well. Some seeds are in the fridge in a paper towel
    inside a zip lock bag. It's going on about 9 weeks now. I have my basement lights ready. I think I will try the 24/7 idea too!

• hartwood
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I figure the whole point of starting seeds indoors is to mimic natural conditions earlier so we have plants when the weather outside is warmer. That's why we put the seeds in the fridge -- so they think that it's been winter. When they warm up afterward, they'll know it's time to sprout and grow. My temperature and light arrangement in the basement is meant to mimic springtime growth conditions -- cooler temperatures and amount of daylight.

The most important thing I have found about growing seedlings under lights is to make sure the light is close enough to your plants. As close as possible -- a few inches away at most. These lights are good, but they're not as bright as sunshine. You don't want your plants to be stretching to reach the light. Unless you're at the Arctic Circle in summer, we don't have 24/7 natural daylight. Many things about plants are day-length dependent, so I give my seedlings (and my cuttings) some night time.

I just finished reading some of the articles on Henry Kuzka's web page. All of his methods are WAY too involved for a lazy-type gardener like me -- I don't even think most of it is anywhere near necessary to get satisfactory results. I don't have a degree in chemistry like he does (though I do have a certificate in horticultural studies), I just know what's been working for me so far. I think it's cool to hear about all the other ways people are achieving the same results.

Based on all of my reading about roses, I was expecting to have to wait quite a while for sprouts. I have four now (another one appeared yesterday) after less than two weeks. There are more than 100 other seeds in that flat (and a few more still in baggies in the fridge), and I can't wait to see what happens.

Connie

• hartwood
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We now have the beginnings of real rose leaves. They're so cute. :)

Jeanne LaJoie seedling.
    {{gwi:246188}}

Connie

• judith5bmontreal
    16 years ago

Hi Connie;
    It is really exciting to see pics of your new seedlings! A great way to get through the winter doldrums. I stuck a few seeds in the fridge the beginning of November, so I hope to be able to plant them next week. I read somewhere that they will bloom when quite young - is that your experience? Keep us posted on the progress of your babies!
    Judith

• erasmus_gw
    16 years ago

Connie, your seedlings look good. I checked my seeds in the fridge today but nothing has sprouted. I'm with you about finding simple methods that work. I hope you'll post pictures of the blooms when you get them.
    Linda

• hartwood
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"I hope you'll post pictures of the blooms when you get them."

Absolutely! I feel so much like a new parent right now, I'm having trouble resisting the urge to post photos on a daily basis. Two more seeds sprouted yesterday -- another from Dr. Van Fleet and one from Souvenir du Dr. Jamain.

It's about time to start pricking out the little guys with true leaves and transplanting them into plug trays. That's going to mean rearranging my 'dungeon garden' (as my mother calls it) since I don't have the space as it is to add another light for them.

• debbysunshine
    16 years ago

Connie, you've done well with your seedlings and as I read your link about leaving the seeds in the fridge at 60' that why cin seedling soil could these not propigate outside here in San Diego where it has actually been on the cooler side. I love Moon Shadow and the actual plants I see are not as pretty as mine.
    When a pod makes the colorful seeds comming over the outside of the older pod which is still all green but very large is this a good thing. Some of all of my seeds are pointed and twice as large and thicker than the rest.
    If you want to try a few you should because I have no more room for roses and I still haven't purchased my one or two for this year.debbysunshine@hotmail;.com

• rosatimo
    16 years ago

I have put 13 seedlings on the south side window of my appartment and they do well. I'll make photo's soon.

8x [pink cloud x golden celebration]
    4x [Rugosa Frau dagmar hastrup OP]
    1x [UNK27 OP]

regards,

Timo

• triple_b
    16 years ago

I picked a couple hips from a rose bush I saw while out walking. If memory serves me correctly it was a neglected yet still incredible Memorial Day. I remember it from last year. I am thinking that since we are into our third month of winter, I can hopefully just put them in starter mix now. I mean who knows what it cross-pollenated with, but it gives me something to do while the snow flies.

• garden_chicken
    16 years ago

triple_b, I had the same thought just this morning. We have some beautiful rugosas in our local park that just bloom and bloom, and the hips are huge. I was thinking of snagging a couple hips next time I wander by. With it being mid-February I think they've had their cold spell.

Nothing to lose except a little time, I think I'll give this a try!

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Man Henry Kuzka was right about wearing latex gloves. Yeeowch.

• hartwood
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jump over to the Rose Gallery to see the latest photos.

Connie

• carla17
    16 years ago

Connie, which instructions from Henry did you use?
    It is exciting for you!

Carla