Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
Incredible Edibles All Bean Fall Swap!!!!! Just Beans!!!!

Posted by bonechickchris 7A/6B NJ 08731 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 14:21

Hello!

This swap is hosted on behalf of the Incredible Edibles and Incredible Heirlooms, by me. This will be a swap just for BEANS!!!! All and anyone are welcome to join this swap!!!! Anything that is considered in the bean family will be accepted!

This will be a mass swap. All beans will be sent in to me, along with a wish list. After I receive everyone's beans, I will redistribute them all back out to everyone, hopefully forfilling people's requests from their wish list.

You will receive the same number of packs that you send in, maybe more. This is a fair 1 for 1 swap.

Please include enough beans for a person to try a certain variety per pack. I am thinking 15-20 beans each. Smaller numbers are ok for very large sized beans, or rare/hard to find varieties.

You are welcome to send multiple packs. But please do not get carried away, like sending in 12 packs of a basic same variety bean. In that case, I may have to send multiples back to you. I am thinking 4-5 packs of one variety is acceptable, maybe more if it is a special bean. Just try to keep common beans to a minimum. This will ensure that everyone gets a good variety back.

There is no limit, you can send in one pack or 50 packs.

Please feel free to send in extras!!!! It helps me to give back more of a variety to everyone. I will also be rolling in beans myself as extras too.

I know this probably should go without being said, but please DO NOT send beans from the grocery store or beans that were grown for eating from the bean isle!!!! Only send in beans that were grown for re-planting!!!! I know that sounds dumb, but I have received seeds once that someone took from their cubboard out of the Goya bag!!!! That is horrible! Please send in seeds that you would find of a quality that you would like to receive back yourself.
There is a place called Purcell Moutain Farms that sells exotic beans for eating, but their beans are also promised to sprout and to be true. So for hard to find, unusual beans, beans from their are ok! I am really just against the sending in beans from the Goya isle! You know what I mean!

Feel free to send in commecial beans and/or beans harvested from your own garden. Just please indicate if they are commecial or garden harvested on your packet!

Please send beans that are no older than 2 years!!!! No bean mixes either!

Inclose enough postage for the return of your package please! Beans are HEAVY! Since beans are heavy, you may want to ship them in one of those small Priority Flat Rate mailers that cost about $5 postage, no matter what the weight is and you will know exactly how much postage to send in. I would then return your beans in the same box. That is just a suggestion for people who plan on sending in a lot of beans.
If you are sending them in an bubble envelope, please make sure that the envelope is strong enough to protect the beans coming in and going out. I will reuse the same box/envelope that you sent your beans in to save you.

I will hold sign ups for a while, in order to give people time who are still harvesting for a fall crop. I will be accepting beans sent in up and until October 15th. I am hoping to have everyone's beans back to them by Halloween.

PLEASE include a Wish List, so I can try to give you back beans that you want or need. Please also include a list of what you SEND IN, so I do not send you back what you gave in!!!!

Sorry for all the reading! I just want this to be a fair and fun swap for everyone!!!! If you have ANY questions, PLEASE ASK!!!!

Thank you!!!! It will be great to get all of us bean lovers together out there!!!!

Christy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Incredible Edibles All Bean Fall Swap!!!!! Just Beans!!!!

Oh YAY!!! Count me in!!!!

I can do this one cause I'll be ALL done with my shows WOOHOO :)

o

Wow were you fast to sign up, Toni! I'm in!

o

Hi Everybody! :) I wish I knew how to collect them and store them too... I would be so much in this swap! Barb watching from the sidelines and learning...:)

o
I'm not addicted..........

Yeah I know hehe....I'm supposed to be busy now...but I have trading withdrawls lol :D

I'm not addicted! No Really..I'm not!! I can quit ANYTIME I want to :D Yeah right!

o
It's super easy....

Oh Barb, just let them go past harvesting. We usually keep a few plants just to let them go to seed. They usually will dry on the vine, but if not, pick them and lay them in a cool place on newspaper. They will dry over a few weeks and then you take the shells off and store in a cool dry place.

o

Hi barb! Toni is right! It is easy! You know, this does not just include beans that you harvest. YOu can send in commecial seeds too! Maybe you have some left over that you have extras of?> You can join us with anything you know!

So far we have (and so quickly!)

bonechickchris~Christy
dirtdiggin~Toni
booberry85~Becky

and a Lurking watcher rosepetal/Barb!

o

Yes thank you Toni and Christy for teaching me.. I have left overs.. :) And will try harvesting too.. Thanks for teaching..

o

• Posted by sunnyk Z6 SW Coastal CT (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 22:20

I want in too....I dont think I will be sending in all that many....but hey I like trading too LOL!

Donna
SunnyK :)

o

Hey, no fair, I was trying to hold off on swaps this month, since I'll have company in my seed ... uh, I mean guest room, LOL! But hey, I don't have to mail until October, so count me in.

Barb, most of mine will be commercial seeds too. The grasshoppers ate almost my entire crop this year, so there won't any seeds to harvest.

Do beans usually come true from seed if they are open pollinated?

Bonnie

o

op heirloom beans will be true to their parent plant as long as there aren't others near by.

o

I would like to join. I have been shelling beans I grew out from trades last spring/winter and am excited to increase my collection . I was up last night until late b/c I had to finish shelling my dragon's tongue beans. I have 4 more varieties to go and have 5 done. Plus my extra's from last year.

I might even order a couple packs if I can find some so we have those, too. We will see.

Nichol

o

OK! In so far is:

bonechickchris~Christy
dirtdiggin~Toni
booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol

Beans will usually be true if not too close to another variety. You may get a varation from a bean or 2 at times if planted next to others. But it is not as likely to cross as other op veggies.
That is why if you are self collecting, please indicate that on the packet, this way someone can be aware that there could be a slight chance of a variation to occur if you planted them near other beans.

Actually, most that I am putting into the swap will be commecial. And I will probably order some other beans for the swap too!

o

Count me in on this swap. I'm going to have to till up more of my backyard at this rate.

Bruce

o

Welcome Bruce! I know what you mean! I am always making more and more room for the garden every year! LOL! Well, atleast beans can be planted twice a year!

Well guys, I already see a place that I will probably get some beans to put into the swap! I am going to try and get some neat varieties that I think you guys will like!

So far~
bonechickchris~Christy
dirtdiggin~Toni
booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
grymntl~Bruce

o

Am I wrong???? I read on here and on other site's that beans are self pollinating and already pollinated by the time the flower opens so you could plant diff. varieties next to each other. I would be really upset if that is not true. Please help so I do it right next year.

Thanks. Nichol

(I know that squash, and other things have to be seperated and / or hand pollinated but was sure that tomatoe's and beans were safe to be near each other???)

o

According to SeedSave.org...beans should be separated. Though they will rarely cross...

Bean - Phaseolus vulgaris

PLANT: Although, ideally, different varieties should be separated by 150 feet or another crop flowering at the same time, we rarely observe cross-pollination even when two varieties are grown next to each other.

o

Thanks dirtdiggin. I appreciate your help. So confusing. Every time I think I get it figured out, I find out not. LOL

Thanks for helping.

o

You are so welcome :) It sure can be confusing. Glad I could help.

This year, we used corn to plant the pole beans with. They serve as a trellis for the beans to climb. My only complaint with it is that the beans get so lush with leaves, they hide the ears of corn lol.

Toni

o

AS far as I know, I have heard that beans are like tomatoes and are self pollinating. The seeds are usually true, but every once in a while, there is a chance of a cross in a seed or 2. But that is usually unlikely.

Christy

o

Christy, that is how I understood it, too. Thanks

o

I'm home monitoring our puppy dog...he had to undergo emergency surgery yesterday after being attacked by 2 pit bulls.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be at show setup, but DH took over while I keep an eye on our puppy dog. Bless his heart.

Just wanted to note on the question with the bean isolation...if you plant a blooming crop...like peas, corn or something that blossoms around the same time, between bean varieties, this helps to avoid any possibility of cross pollination regardless of how rare it is. So, we plant beans, corn, peas, beans, corn, peas - well until this year, so all the pole beans were mixed with the corn and the peas were between.

o

Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 19:23

I hope your pup is going to be alright :(
Keep us updated!! And I am keeping a good thought for him.

o

thank you Donna, he's an old pup, but puppy at heart. He's a rescue dog, golden retriever, so it's even more heart wrenching for me. He tried so hard to protect us.

I'm just so thankful it was a vet bill and not a hospital bill. I couldn't even imagine it being my son. And I watched the attack and there was nothing I could do...I'm a basket case! I felt so helpless.

o

Awww. Poor baby. How horrible. I hope he will be ok. I do appreciate all the info for planting and isolating. I will plant more in between them next year. I did have a few that were isolated like that but others that were planted side by side. I learn so much from everyone here. It is wonderful.

Thanks. NIchol

o

Toni, that's so disheartening. I would be crushed if it happened to my doggies.

Buca & Bear are sending doggie treat thoughts to your Goldie.

o

Thank you so much for your kind regards for Luke. He's gaining his appetite back and moving around much better tonight. Poor guy has an E-collar on so he's getting stuck on everything he walks by. But he's doing much better.

o

We took Luke into the vet today for after surgery removal (nuf said :x) He's doing MUCH better. He's not enjoying his cone, but he licks his stitches if we don't keep it on. Poor guy hates it and tries to rub it off on the ground when we let him out. But he's been a trooper to say the least. I'm still on mature puppy care, until after the 23rd for his last vet appt.

But on the way home, we had a wonderful experience.

As some may know, we live on an island in Puget Sound and some news channels have mentioned there are migrating Orcas going down the coast from Canada. As we were moving across the bay, on the barge, our captain yelled out....LOOK AT THE KILLER WHALES!!!!!!!! We were blessed enough to watch an entire pod play and breach in front of us. We were able to watch 15-20 Orcas, maybe more, swim all around us. There were moms, babies, and daddy whales. I suppose that's Cows, Calves and Bulls lol. It was an amazing sight! Of course, the one day I don't take my camera along...lol.

Ohh what a blessing...or a happy note from a sad or tragic situation.

o

Hi everyone! Just a little reminder. There is still plenty of time to sign up for the swap. Everyone is welcome to join! This is a great opportunity to try some beans you've been wanting to try and build up your stash! Don't want to participate, but are trying to weed out your stash? We'll happily take donations and disperse them among the participants. Hope you'll join the fun!

Christy has been getting hit with a nor-easter (a major storm off the east coast.) The storm knocked out her internet for the last week. She's hoping to get her internet back on today. Hopefully after today things will be back to normal!

Toni, I'm glad to hear Luke is doing much better. Bear had mange as a puppy when we first got him and had to wear one of those collars. The DH being ever-so-sympathetic used to call him funnel head. Now he wonders why the dog won't come to him!

What an amazing sight you caught! I went on a whale watch in Boston a number of years ago, but no way did we see 15-20 whales. All we have around here are bird migrations. They should be splitting town and heading south soon.

o

What are some of the beans you're hoping to get? As for me, I have an affinity for snap beans - doesn't matter if they are bush or pole beans. Specifically, I love Derby, Purple Queen and Kinghorn wax bush beans and any shrimp (de Trento?) beans. Sure there's others I'd like to have. I love the name of "Lazy Housewife" for a bean! I've also read good things about Bountiful bush beans. I have lots more listed on my wants on my trade page.

So what are you hoping to get?

o

Tue, Sep 15, 09 at 19:55

I love almost any Pole Snap Bean or Asparagus bean.
I dont do Bush beans anymore as my back is bad and my garden kinda small so up , up and away with the pole types for me....I used to plant the bush types in pots and they always did really splendidly :)
I have one of the shrimps on my wish list...have you ever grown them Becky...what are they like?
I am hoping to get some purple podded pole beans, is Lazy Housewife a pole or a bush? I love the name of it LOL!

C'mon folks chime in ....I love hearing what people like...it gives me more to put on my wish list LOL!

o

I am obviously lurking and hoping to join. I am just trying to make sure I have enough to share.

What a great idea to list our wishlist.

Lazy Housewife = Pole Habit

Nancy

o

mmmmmmmmmm snap beans steamed with a touch of lemon pepper...

Or a wonderful dish with fresh snap beans....

1 lb ground beef - season with lemon pepper, garlic and favorite (non sweet) spices
Onion
Garlic
1-2 cubes bullion
1 can stewed tomatoes
1/2 lb snapped beans
1 tbsp chili powder
cooked noodles - shell, spiral or what ever you enjoy

Add other veggies if you desire like...
sliced squash
corn
carrots-these work great shredded

Saute onion and garlic, add beef and brown. Add all the other ingredients and spices and simmer until flavors blend...usually about 20-30 minutes.

This is an awesome easy recipe.

Snap beans, shell beans, pole beans I love them all! And if I already have a few seeds of any variety, I can always increase the bean patch next year to share with others.

Anything unusual would be nice, but I love the basics too.

I really wish I had seed from them, but my father used to plant and keep seed for a stringless bush bean. It was one that was handed down from another family and he was fortunate enough to gain some seed. He called them Johnny Beans. I know they were from the old country (not quite sure which old country...but not from the US lol) but they were AMAZING!!! Never did they get woody or stringy. Even large, they were just as tender and nice as ever.

Unfortunately, when dad passed away, there was no care taken for what he had established. I don't know if there are any seeds left of this heirloom...and I don't know any other name for them.

Toni

o

Donna, I grew Green Annelino(shrimp) beans from Pinetree seeds this year. They really do curl. They're very cute. They are not as productive as Cherokee Trail of Tears or Kentucky Wonders but worth growing. They're taste is comparable to Kentucky Wonders.

Toni, I think I'm having that tomorrow night for dinner! Yum!

Nancy, I hope you decide to join! I don't have a huge amount, but I think I have a few fun ones people will enjoy.

o

Tue, Sep 15, 09 at 22:57

Oooo that recipe sounds divine!! I have about a half pound of beans or more and a stray zuke waiting for me to do something with in the fridge....and that meal sounds just like the ticket!!!

And now I have to go add Lazy Housewife to my wish list LOL!

o

I love throwing things together in the pan lol. It's never the same...only similar. But always yummy :)

LOL I have a friend who bought her husband a book called, "A Man, A Pan, A Plan" LOL it's so funny. It's one pan meals for the hunter, batchelor, weekend batchelor...or what ever lol. It's such a kick. But he cooks all his meals in ONE PAN roflmao!

Kentucky Wonder is one of my favorites for staple green beans. I have some amazing vines going now that are just loaded! The beans are always so tender and yummy. And SOOOO prolific!!!

o

Wed, Sep 16, 09 at 11:57

I love Kentucky Wonder too!! I planted a row of them this season...and the bugs of course totally destroyed the seedlings. But lo and behold about 5 of them decided to fight for survival and came back beautifully. And for about the past month and a half I have had enough snap beans from those plants for a family of 4 to have at least one nice green bean dish a week. Talk about troopers :)

o

This thread has so much stuff in it, fun to read.

I do have a question, as I'm new to the bean growing thing, I have a couple of different kinds of beans I've been looking at a couple of seed suppliers and it seems that some of the beans are actually peas, and some of the peas are beans, how closely are they related? Is it likely that there will be people sharing peas on this exchange?

Confused minds want to know. B)

I plan on getting my packet in the mail this week, barring an early frost, and provided I can find bonechickchris' address... should I have that?

Bruce

o

Hi Bruce,

Christy (bonechickchris) has been having internet problems. Her town was hit hard by a storm a week ago and hasn't had stable internet access since. I think she was waiting to get more people signed up before emailing people with her address.

I think she intended the swap to just be for beans (bush beans, pole beans, half runners, snap beans, dry beans or shellie beans, lima or soy are all good.) I don't think she intended to include things like garden peas, snow peas, cow peas or lentils. Hopefully Christy will be back online again soon to verify (they were suppose to have her internet corrected yesterday.)

Beans & peas are all considered legumes. As it turns out, there are a lot of internet sites about prepping and eating beans but not on the differences between beans, peas and other legumes. I have a site below with some info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beans, Beans, the magical fruit...

o

Wed, Sep 16, 09 at 15:09

Bruce...Bonechickchris hasn't sent out her address yet as I think she is still taking sign-ups....plus she is having some internet troubles.
And I am wondering if the peas you are referring to are the cowpeas and asparagus beans(Vigna unguiculata) types which are in no way similar to the green pea and pod pea(Pisum sativum) types... but I am not the bean expert here tho LOL.

o
RE: :) Incredible Edibles All Bean Fall Swap!!!!! Just Beans!!!!

Wed, Sep 16, 09 at 15:10

LOL... I was writing while Becky was posting :)

o

Sign me up. I guess it's time to overload the rest of you with lots of varieties. :)

Gary

o

Glad to have you join us Gary!

People joining in the fun so far:
bonechickchris~Christy
dirtdiggin~Toni
booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary

and our Lurkers
rosepetal/Barb
luvgardening2/Nancy

o

sign me up, grew some great pole beans this year and have quite a few to trade.

thanks..........Jim

o

Welcome Jim!

People joining in the fun so far:
bonechickchris~Christy
dirtdiggin~Toni
booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim

and our Lurkers
rosepetal/Barb
luvgardening2/Nancy

It was a little sad yesterday. I did some garden cleanout. My bush beans are done for the season but the pole beans are still trying. So the pole beans are still standing. The bush beans got mowed over yesterday.

o

Hi everyone! It's been a lil while since I've joined an Incredible Edibles swap, but this is one I can't resist!!!

Hi Toni! *hugs* :)

*gonna go work on my wish list..lol

Hugs!
~Wendy / sassyb....

o

Sign me up. I've been lurking hoping we didn't have an early frost. I have lot's of beans hoping they dry in the next two weeks. I did pick some dry lazy housewife beans today. I hope I have some for everybody. I gathered some cranberry and calypso bush beans. I have some new (to me) pole beans that need a week or two to dry on the vine.

Don (dem_pa)

o

woohoo! Way to go Don! :)

Can ya tell I'm excited about those beans? lol

Hugs all,
Wendy / sassyb...

o

Sun, Sep 20, 09 at 17:54

Oooo...Lazy Housewife...very exciting(and on my wish list too LOL)!! :-)

o

Don, I thought this swap might catch your eye! We had our first frost warning last night, but I don't think we had a frost. I still have some pole beans outside waiting to dry.

Wendy, so glad you're back & decided to join us.

Christy (bonechickchris), was hoping to have her internet back up this week. It got knocked out in a bad storm a couple of weeks ago. They ran into wiring problems, so her internet is still out! In the meantime, I've been trying to keep everybody up to speed.

Here's who's in so far:
bonechickchris~Christy
dirtdiggin~Toni
booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim
sassybutterfly 2008~Wendy
dem pa~Don

and our Lurkers
rosepetal/Barb
luvgardening2/Nancy

o

Sun, Sep 20, 09 at 18:22

Tell Christy I say: 'Hi, and hope she gets back soon', the next time you talk to her...I sure do miss her :(

Donna

o

Hello everyone! I am back and still alive! LOL!

I am SO SORRY for the non-communication for the last week or 2. I have never had that happen to me before, without internet for so long! Boy was this so frustrating! I am not going to even say how many HOURS I spent on the phone with the internet company trying to get this fixed.
The reason why it took so long, from I can make of it, is that I am in a low person area I guess?> Not many people live ON the lake like I do, and the ones that do, are all older people who have lived here since these homes were built in the 1940's. I found out that I am the only one around who has internet service.
So, my area was never really updated because of the low customer interest. In other words, my internet was pretty much rigged up this whole time and never properly installed. So they had to replace everything outside, wires and all. Well, hopefully I will have better service now. They did give me some free months of service, but I am still very upset at how long it took to get it going again.
I just wanted to first of all, Thank BECKY for taking over as well as she did! She is so awesome! You really saved me Becky! I really do appreciate it!
While on the subject, I should let you know, since Kathy resigned, I have asked Becky to be my side-kick with my moderating the IE IH groups. So please know that she is now a moderator like me!

I have so much to catch up on! So I am going to go finish reading the threads. Thank you SO much for hanging in there! I missed you all!
Christy

o

Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 23:47

Welcome Back Christy ...we missed you :)

o

Whew! I have 27 packets of beans I'll be sending in! It's a good variety of bush, pole, snap and dry (but concentration on snap!) I think overall people will be happy!

o

It's good to see you back on line Christy. I've been away as well. Not by choice, but I left town for a show and took my laptop....but forgot my air card grrrrrr. It's good to be home!!!

I have a couple of items that I'm awaiting their arrival, so I'll send my package when they arrive. I hope everyone is happy with the selection I'm sending :) Shouldn't be a problem with the deadline.

Toni

o

How is your doggie Toni? I was going to email you tonight and catch up with you!

So if I got this correctly, this is the current list? Please let me know if I am missing anyone.

bonechickchris~Christy
dirtdiggin~Toni
booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim
dem pa~Don

and our Lurkers
rosepetal/Barb
luvgardening2/Nancy

If any of you would like my address now, feel free to send me an email and I will send my addy to you!

I have heard that some who are sharing beans from their gardens, that they still harvest until the end of October. If the send in date of mid October is too soon, I do not mind extending it until the end of October. Which would have your seeds out back to you within 2 weeks after that. What do you guys think?
Christy

o

Luke is doing well. He has gained his energy back and goes to his checkup in a few days. He hates his cone, but he's coping lol. His wounds are all healing, but he likes to scratch them and tear them. At least they are shallow now so it's only healing itching he's scratching at.

As for the deadline, I have no problem with later. After all, we can't plant until Spring anyway. I'm also awaiting seed to mature. I just figured I'd put in what I had for now, but if you extend the date, I'll have more to send in.

Toni

o

I'm good with later as well, will give me more time to get more to send!

~Wendy / sassyb....

o

Tue, Sep 22, 09 at 22:33

I don't mind it being extended til the end of the month. I am only waiting on one more seed type to dry up....but like Toni said, I wont be planting again til May, so whether it goes out the middle of the month or the end doesn't hold up my planting LOL!

o

Extending the deadline is fine with me too!

o

I generally don't get involved with group seed exchanges as there isnt a cosesus of who practices isolation distances and what not, but this really doesn't matter with beans. I would like to join. I have an extensive bean collection. Does this also include "Butterbeans"?

o

If nobody minds, Daniel would also like to participate. He has a few nice types of bean seeds he's been collecting and would like to share.

o
beans

Sure Zebraman! Welcome! And yes, you can send in butterbeans. They are one of my favorites! Anything considered to be a bean of any type is acceptable. I was even going to share some Italian Garbanzos in this swap.

And I totally understand your concern, even though beans rarely cross. But just in case, I have asked everyone to write on their packs if their beans are commercial or self-collected, this way you will know if there is a chance of even the slightest variation, even though unlikely.

Of course Daniel can join! I was wondering if he was going to join! He did so well in the Black Seed Swap!

IN so far!

bonechickchris~Christy
dirtdiggin~Toni
booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim
dem pa~Don
zebraman
Daniel aka dirtdiggin Jr.

and our Lurkers
rosepetal/Barb
luvgardening2/Nancy

o

Hi everyone, just checkin' in on the swap! :)
Fall has finally arrived here in GA and man does it feel wonderful outside. After all the crazy rain and flooding, some sunshine and cooler weather is much appreciated!

Hugs,
Wendy / sassyb...

o

Daniel and I have a nice selection of staples and uniques to send in. With delays on a roofing job (OMG DON'T ASK...Things get done here at a slower than slow snails pace), things didn't get in the ground at a reasonable time, so I ordered some nice things to share. I'm awaiting an order of seeds through SSE before I send our package.

Looking forward to next year to grow out all those seeds I wasn't able to sow. I'll have LOTS to share!!

Toni

o

Yes, fall hit us here too this week! I love the fall! It is my favorite season. My birthday is in October, so that could also be why I loved fall so much as a kid. Plus, it is so beautiful outside with all of the leaves changing over the lake!
No rush TOni! We are extending the deadline till the end of October for send in time.

BTW< anybody who needs my address who wants it, just email me!
Christy

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 30, 09 at 21:30

Hi Christy,
I'm interested in joining. I've got beans drying on the vines so I should be able to make the deadline.
Remy

o

Christy, the seeds are in the mail!

Remy, glad to have another (upstate)New Yorker in the swap!
:)

o

Toni ~ We've been workin' on our roof too.. so far we have a nice big BRIGHT blue tarp laying across it... lol How's that for DIY?!? :P

I am diggin' the fall too, it's still mid 70's here during the day but we've been down in the 50's at night and that's our hint that Fall's on the way...

hugs!
Wendy / sassyb...

o

Well my orders have all arrived...pkgd them up and HOLY COW!! Well Christy, you'll know what I mean when you open them up lol. Found a great sale on beans...and sale means more lol...so quite a few multiple unique ones are included. Some had very little in pkgs but I included at least one pkg of them. Have a few in Daniel's pack, out of the garden. Anyway, I'll get them mailed out tomorrow. I'm pooped from pkging lol.

Wendy - Blue Tarp LOL! Yeah we had plastic on ours for nearly 8 months after it leaked on my GM's leather sofa. They had to board it down cause we are in the valley and path of the extreme winds. But it still caught the wind and sounded like the whole house would lift up and blow away lol. We actually had a tornado just a few miles north of us a few weeks ago. I WAS SO THANKFUL it didn't hit here YIKES!!! We might have needed another new roof lol.

Toni

o

Didn't mail my box yet cause I have to pick up a mailer from the PO. I'll get it on the way on Monday. It's ready though lol has been for a few days ;)

o

Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 1:02

Just waiting on a few more pods to dry. I am hoping to get my bubbly in by this weekend :)

o

oops! I almost forgot to welcome you remy! I hope you will enjoy our swap!!!!

I already received Becky's beans! thank you!

Everyone has till the end of October, so no rush now, but feel free to send them whenever you want to!

***bonechickchris~Christy
dirtdiggin~Toni
***booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim
dem pa~Don
zebraman
Daniel aka dirtdiggin Jr.
luvgardening2/Nancy
remy

and our Lurkers
rosepetal/Barb

(*** seeds received)

o

Seeds are on their way!!!!!!! Woohoo!!!

Toni

o

Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 17:02

Hi Christy,
I'm sure I will enjoy the swap. I love beans! I sent you an email asking for your address if you didn't get it, email me.
Thanks,
Remy

o

Hi Remy!

No, I did not get an email from you. Sorry! Sometimes GW mails do not seem to go through for some reason. I did email you my address just now, so please let me know if you did not get it!

IF anyone else emailed me and I did not email you back, PLEASE let me know on this thread because I have sent an address to everyone who has emailed me so far. I want to make sure that no other emails got lost.

Thanks! Christy

o

Happy Birthday To YOU!
Happy Birthday TO YOU!
Happy BIRTHDAY DEAR CHRISTY!!!
Happy Birthday To You!

Hope you're feeling better. Donnie too!

birthday Pictures, Images and Photos

I know, I'm way off topic!

o

HAPPY B-DAY CHRISTY!!!!!!!!!! Hope it's a GREAT one!!!!!!!

Toni

o

happy birthday Pictures, Images and Photos

Hope you have a great day, Christy!

Bonnie

o

Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 15:04

Happy Birthday Chickie!!
Photobucket

Hope it is Fantastic!!
Donna :)

o

HI Guys!

Thank you sooo much for the birthday wishes!

I am so sorry I did not stop by sooner. I am so sick. I have no voice and have an ear ache starting. UGG!
I was sick on my last birthday too. I think it may be because the allergies start it then it turns into a sickness from the allergies. YUCK!
Anyway, thanks so much guys! Sorry I have been slow posting.
Christy

o

Happy Birthday Christy !! I do hope you feel better soon!

Is the send-in date still this week or did it for sure change to the end of Oct?

hugs!
Wendy

o

It's probably a good thing you changed the date. I just checked the DC on the HUGE pkg of beans Daniel and I sent and it still doesn't say it's a legit shipment. Not even that the PO has been notified...just "There is no record of this item." Our local PO supposedly laid off a bunch of people...well that's the excuse...and I have no clue if they've even received the package, much less where it is. So Christy, when it gets there, let me know...I'm sweatin...:)

Toni

o
Hope you're feeling better

Christy - I sure hope you and Donnie are feeling better. There's some nasty stuff going around. Get some rest and take care of yourself. We'll all still be here when you feel better.

Get better soon,

Toni

o

I am hoping to get my package out the first part of next week. I worked on it last night but I have so much more to do. I really hope my selections are enjoyed.

Nancy

o

Hi everyone!

Christy I do hope you're all feeling better!

ok everyone.. I need some guidance. I need some educating! lol and where better to come to for a lesson on beans than to the bean swap thread! :)

I'm only 1-year 'new' to growing beans. I built a fantastic tee-pee last year. It worked great til the labs decided it was their new favorite chew-toy. arghh! This next year there will be several tee-pees. (the dog pen is finished! woohoo!) I'm definitely going larger scale, I intend by gosh to have an amazing harvest and beans to last us for a good long time. I want to stick with several varieties of pole beans. I want to dabble in some bush beans as well. I've so far only grown your typical green beans (snap variety). I don't know a thing about shelling beans. But I'm very willing to learn!!

According to the seed catalogs that showcase all these amazing varieties of beans.. EVERY single one is absolutely the best! the most prolific! the most hardy! it's enough to make one's head spin at all the selections!!

Limas are not a house fave here, so I plan to just have 2 or 3 vines for my own personal lima harvst.

Pole beans - love the Royal Burgundy. kids wow'ed by the color-change. (heck it wows me too! lol) What other varieties are good? I'd love to hear personal opinions of those that are in the know!

Bush beans - don't really know much about any bush types. Any opinions there?

Beans for shelling/drying.. do you just leave the pods on the plant til they dry out? or I've read that you can pick and let them dry on your own. Does anyone here do that? Any good suggestions on types? We eat great northerns, pintos, kidneys, etc...

Fava beans - what do they taste like? :) Never ever tried them.

I'm sure someone out here has some good ideas that will help me decide and narrow down my list! :) I would be much appreciative of any input!!

Thanks!
Wendy / sassyb...

o

*starts pokin' at the bushes... come out come out wherever ya'll areeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :P

~W

o

Sat, Oct 10, 09 at 17:19

Sorry Wendy ...wish I could help, but even though I have been growing beans for a long time, I only have ever grown Kentucky Wonder and a couple of Yardlongs . SO I am virtually a newbie at this bean stuff...plus I only grow the pole types for green beans. But I bet someone will be along soon who can really help :)

Donna

o

For Wendy,
I'm not a "bean genius" by any stretch of the imagination. I generally grow snap beans. Snap beans can be either bush or pole. Pod & seed are both eaten.

The only Royal Burgundy beans I've grown have been snap bush beans. I did grow purple podded poles this year, but did not find them very prolific. Royal(ty) Burgundys or Royal(ty) Purple put out a good crop. I like Purple Queen best so far for a purple snap bush bean.

I like limas but have never grown them here. I think they may need a warmer longer season than zone 5.

I have a few favorite bush beans. These have all been prolific; met with cooler summer conditions the past 2 years; have held their own when it comes to disease & pests and are readily available at most big box stores or garden centers. Here they are:

Green snap bush beans: Derby, Burpee Stringless, Blue Lake
Yellow wax snap bush beans: Cherokee Wax, Kinghorn Wax
Purple snap bush beans: Purple Queen, Royalty Burgundy/Purple (technically Royal(ty) Burgundy & Royal(ty) Purple started off as two separate strains. However that boundary has been blurred)

Shelly/shelling beans are meant to be eaten when the seeds are mature but not dried.

Dried beans are meant to be eaten when the seeds are matures and reconstituted. You can leave them on the vine to dry or dry them inside. I don't grow many shellies or dry. One all purpose pole bean is Cherokee trail of tears. It can be eaten as a snap, shelly or dried.

Fava Bean - all I can think of is the quote from Silence of the Lambs, "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." Sorry! I probably turned you off to them completely!

Hope this helps.

o

LOL! I am so with you on the fava bean comment!! LOL I picture Hannibal EVERY time!!!

Can you explain a lil bit more about the wax beans? Aren't they greasy or something? Do they TASTE at all greasy? I have to say the name doesn't appeal to me much..lol but if they're good I'll definitely try them out!

thanks so much for the comments, both of you!

~Wendy

o

Sat, Oct 10, 09 at 18:41

Hey,
I found this bit of information about Wax Beans:

Geography/History
The original version of this particular bean grew in the tropical climate of Central and South America. "Wax" has become a common term and is used in referring to any yellow bean whether it is waxy or not. True wax bean types actually do have a waxy texture and feel. Yellow wax beans are steadily gaining culinary popularity. Growing in both tropical and temperate areas, wax beans prefer at least a fifty-day frost-free growing time. Warm soil is required for the proper seed germination of bean plants. Produced commercially in many states, wax beans are an especially important crop in the Atlantic Ocean region due to the major processing industry in that area.

o

I started to post, but GW ate it or something lol.

The greasy/wax has to do with the surface of the pod. No they don't taste greasy. I thought the same thing too about them, but that's not the case at all.

Regular snap type beans have tiny hairs on them, where wax/greasy beans are slick.

I like to grow pole beans...simply because instead of square footage, I get cubic footage in the garden for the same effort. Most of the pole beans I've grown are much more prolific than bush beans so the back breaking method of harvest is so not worth it to me over the bush beans. LOL I let Daniel harvest the bush beans...if I find it necessary to plant them for a unique type.

Purple Pole beans are pretty awesome, but so are the yard longs. And of course my all time favorite pole is Kentucky Wonder. It's tasty, prolific and just keep producing beans.

Toni

o

Sat, Oct 10, 09 at 22:00

Alright Toni!! My Kentucky Wonder Sister WOOHOO!!I thought I was the only big fan LOL!

o

LOL hey kentucky wonder sis!!! I love KW beans. You always know they will be prolific regardless of what your season is like. They just keep pumpin those beans out lol.

Toni

o

Wonderful responses and information.. I feel so educated now! lol

Seriously I really appreciate your comments everyone! Now I have some research to do so I can update my bean wishlist :) I am really loving those yardlongs.. they are so cool!

Happy almost Monday!

so.. when is the send by date now?

hugs!
Wendy

~Wendy

o

Oh next year I'll have some different Thai yardlongs and mosaic yardlongs. I'm so excited to try them!!! Beans are so kewl!!!!!!!

Toni

o

I believe the send in date is Halloween.

o

Halloweenie Beanie!

ugh I seriously need coffee. or somethin' to turn my brain on and stop spouting nonsense...lol

~W

o

OK! I am finally starting to get out of the fog from being sick. Boy, was I on my butt for a while!

I got beans in from TOni, Daniel and Remy!

Oh, yes, the send in date is Halloween. I would like to have them all in to me here but then please!

***dirtdiggin~Toni
***booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim
dem pa~Don
zebraman
***Daniel aka dirtdiggin Jr.
luvgardening2/Nancy
***remy

and our Lurkers
rosepetal/Barb

(*** seeds received)

o

Mon, Oct 12, 09 at 19:45

Hi Christy,
I didn't send my seeds yet. So unless someone sent something on my behalf, you received seeds from someone else.

About the wax beans, I believe the source quoted was wrong. Wax beans are just yellow green beans, Wax as a term refers only to the color. Pale yellow is the color wax. Sort of like the name Hungarian Wax peppers. Instead of saying yellow, people used to say wax. Now there may have been (or there is) a variety of wax bean that was greasy, but it would be a greasy wax bean. Greasy is the term for beans that are smooth/waxy in feel. The pods are lacking the fine hairs that make a bean pod feel the way a bean pod normally feels.
I hope that all made sense. The link below is to a site with histories of beans. The bottom of the page linked has the history of an old wax variety'Beurre de Roquencour'. You will see he noted that wax was an old New England slang for yellow.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetables of Interest Bean Page

o

OK! WOW! I am still in a fog with this cold! LOL! I told you I was not right yet! LOL!

I got beans from Bruce Neely, not Remy! LOL!Sorry about that!

Thanks Remy for the Wax explanation! I never knew that "wax" just referred to the color. I love learning little tid bits like that!

List corrected!

***dirtdiggin~Toni
***booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
***grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim
dem pa~Don
zebraman
luvgardening2/Nancy
remy

and our Lurkers
rosepetal/Barb

(*** seeds received)

o

Remy, that's really interesting. I've always lumped the two greasy and wax together lol. Now that you mention it everything I've grown that's called wax was yellow lol. Thanks so much for the info.

Toni

o

Well, I'm glad to hear that you got my beans. Thanks, looking forward to seeing what I get back.

Bruce

o

Thanks for the additional info Remy!!

I actually came across a bag of mixed green and wax 'yellow' beans at the grocery today so I quickly nabbed it. We'll be steaming them for dinner to see how the kids like them. Then I'll know whether to add them to our 'to-grow' list!

Hugs all,
Wendy / sassyb...

o

I hope to mail mine out by the end of the week. I want to give them a few more days to dry.

Photobucket

I hope to send Cranberry bush beans, Turkey craw pole beans, Lazy housewire pole beans, Marie Amazilitei's pole beans, Top-notch yellow bush beans, and Calypso bush beans. Marie Amazilitei's pole bean is yellow and instead of growing straight it curls into a C or almost a six.

Don (dem)_pa)

o

I spy with my little eye, something on my wish list!!! LOL! Don, those look great!

o

LOL ME Too Becky hehe :)

o

Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 20:31

I see something on my wish list too LOL!!

I am waiting for a few pods to start frying...and I hope they will be ready by Monday, so I can get my beans out by next Friday :)....but if not I will have to send in only what I have now :(

o

Wed, Oct 14, 09 at 19:32

I am waiting for a few pods to start frying

Okay that really should have said drying....but ironically I sauteed up a batch of garlic green beans with dinner tonight ROTFLMBO!!

o

Your picture is too tempting DON! LOL!

I have been waiting to eat my Stortino de Trento beans I grew this year from Seeds from Italy. I have been adding them to a baggie I have in the freezer. I was suppose to eat them with my birthday steak and some potatoes another GW member gave me, but I did not make it yet since I was sick. They are really pretty beans with the purple on green curly pods.

Still waiting for My Lamon beans, another Seeds of Italy bean, to dry. They are still full green on the vines with no signs of drying! UGG!

Has anyone ever grown Blue Jay beans? I want to try them next year.

Christy

o

Donna, YUM! That sounds so good. Is it simply just garlic and green beans? Do you put anything else?

I can usually just eat a whole bowl of plain steamed green beans. I just had some for lunch. They are growing faster than I can keep up with them.

Sometimes I make it like my dad use to make it. Blanch the green beans and drain. Then in a skillet, put butter and throw garlic in and then the green beans and drizzle with oyster sauce. I am sure it is calories galore that is why I only indulge once in a while.

Don, I see a few that I sure would like to grow out. I checked your list and you do not have any listed. Is there any beans you would like? I will try to dig deep and see if I have it to share.

Nancy

o

Nancy, are you posting at the same time as me again? LOL!

o

I had two gardens this summer. My vegetable garden and I had beans planted in my cottage garden. I had butterbeans/lima beans, Cherokee Trail of Tears and several others planted in the cottage garden. After they were growing for several weeks, a family of voles moved into that garden. They destroyed all of the beans.

I would like a few Cherokee Trail of Tears and any kind of lima beans. Pole or bush. Any kind of soup bean.

Don

o

Wed, Oct 14, 09 at 22:04

Nancy...I love green beans sauteed in butter...and adding oyster sauce sounds absolutely yummy!!
Sometimes I add some dark soy to them. But this time it was just good extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and minced fresh German Red garlic.Oh and a few slices of kohlrabi, only because I had them LOL...! Boy it was good...especially because I got the last serving out of the pan with all the little browned bits of caramelized garlic, oh boy I wish there were some leftovers :)

o

I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I have my beans all packed up. I have been on vacation for a couple of weeks and just got back. I just ran back through posts and don't see my name on the list anywhere. I sent out an email before I left to be included and assumed I would be added. I'm not sure if I should send seeds or what to do from here. I'm confused. Can someone help? I really want to do this exchange and have everything ready but, don't know what to do from here - I feel amazingly silly!...hugs, Jamie

o

HI Jamie!

Relax! LOL! There is no cut off date for signing up here. You just need to send your beans to me so I get them by October 31st! So no problem! I will add you to the list! Just send me an email so I can send you my address! Everything is ok!

***dirtdiggin~Toni
***booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
***grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim
dem pa~Don
zebraman
luvgardening2/Nancy
remy
arroyogardener/Jamie

(*** seeds Received)

o

Thank you so much for adding me to the list...lol...I really am not crazy or addicted to beans...lol...I feel so silly now. For those that don't know I contacted poor Christy on here, her garden email AND her AOL! She was so sweet to respond to my babbling very kindly. I know it's silly to be so excited about beans but, I was so looking forward to this exchange. It's my first!. Thanks to all for your patients with me! Hugs!

o

I have 4 different types of beans and I would like to be included in this swap.

Danny

o

Mon, Oct 19, 09 at 20:33

Hi Christy,
Just letting you know I got my package on its way : )
Thanks for doing the swap,
Remy

o

For those that don't know, Christy had some computer issues. It burped and said I'm not turning back on...ugghh...Oh I hate it when that happens.
She's checking emails...and doing what she can from a dino...we all remember our dino's lol. Bless her heart for doing this swap!

Hope to see you up and running soon Christy.

Toni

o

Ugh! no fun dealin' with dinos!!

Toni could you email me Christy's address?

Thanks!
Wendy

o

Sorry to hear about Christy's computer but thanks, Toni, for letting us know before we started to worry if she was sick or something. Computer burbs are no fun!!! but, this way we all know what's up and don't have to be concerned it's something worse. Thanks!

Hugs,

Jamie

o

Hi Guys!

Yeah, I did not even want to tell you all that my hard drive crashed on the lap top because something is always happening to me computer-wise, and it is almost unbelieveable! LOL!
Anyway, I am in the dungeon on the dino computer like Toni said! LOL! They are suppose to replace the laptop hard drive tomorrow, so it BETTER work! I am so sick of everything computer associated breaking down on me!

Anyway, sure Danny, you can join! Just have you beans to me by Halloween.

I also received beans from Don and Jamie today!

***dirtdiggin~Toni
***booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
***grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim
***dem pa~Don
zebraman
luvgardening2/Nancy
remy
***arroyogardener/Jamie
reynal/Danny
(*** seeds Received)

o

I can't believe my beans got there already! You are in NJ and I am in a very small town in the VERY southern tip of Texas! They always warn us it will take a little longer! There was even a half day Saturday and a closed all day sunday in there...hummmmmmmmm... YaY for the postal system...lol!

Hugs,

Jamie

o

I'm hoping to get mine packed up tonight and tomorrow.. by the wkend at the latest! lol

Hugs!
Wendy / sassyb...

o

Hey everyone! I don't want to hijack the thread but don't forget to checkout Incredible Edibles & Incredible Edibles newest swap, The Great Feast! Featuring all your favorite fruits, veggies & herbs!

Here is a link that might be useful: November Swap: The Great Feast.

o

Yeah, it's lonely over there at The Great Feast, LOL! I know there are a couple of really big group swaps going on right now, and it can be overwhelming, but this one is a partner swap, so it's only a half a dozen or so packets of seeds (unless you're one of those that go completely overboard, and you know who you are, LOL!!!)

Christy, I have my beans all packaged up, and they will go in the mail tomorrow.

I'm finally caught up on all of my smaller swaps and trades, now it's time to get serious about harvesting some seeds out of the flower garden.

Bonnie

o

Thu, Oct 22, 09 at 21:15

Sheesh...I have been waiting on my 4 biggest pods for weeks now...but they absolutely refuse to dry...they wont even show a hint that they even want to attempt to start drying. I really intended to have my beans to you by now....but those darn green pods...well I will give them until Monday, but then that package is getting shipped one way or another.

Oh ...and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy Computer recovery for you!

o

I really thought I would have the beans on their way to Christy by now but I have been busy and I am also working on another BIG swap. I went through wish list and packaged seeds up but I have these seeds that are NOT on wish list. I wanted to see if there was any interest before I went through the trouble of packaging them up. I know. I am LAZY.

Delinel
Dolico-Dall' Occhio
Festina
Fin de Bagnol
Koala
Maxibel
Tavera
Topcrop
Xera

Purple Podded Pole
Supermarconi

Lina Sisco's Bird Egg

Nancy

o

Hi Nancy,

I would sure be interested in Fin de Bagnol, Tavera and Maxibel.

Toni

o

I'd love to try the Tavera & Delinel beans, Nancy. Thank you for offering.

o

Hi Guys!!!!
I received seeds from Remy yesterday (I hope for real this time Remy! LOL!)
and Reyna came today! Thank you!!!!

Just to let you guys know, I will be away for a few days, Nov. 1st to the 4th or 5th. I think I will be able to check in online at the hotel so that is not a big problem.
However, I am worried about any beans that will be sent in late, then will be stuck in my mailbox for those days I am away. I dont want them out in the elements that long, especially if it rains and the air is moist.

So PLEASE, for that reason alone, get those seeds to me by the 31st!!!!

All the pieces on my computer were fixed yesterday! Hooray!

***dirtdiggin~Toni
***booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
***grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim
***dem pa~Don
zebraman
luvgardening2/Nancy
***remy
***arroyogardener/Jamie
***reynal/Danny
(*** seeds Received)

o

Sat, Oct 24, 09 at 21:07

I swear that they will be in the mail by Monday afternoon!!

And I wouldn't mind a few of the Supermarconi if you still have the time :)

o

I have Supermarconi too Donna, so I will definitely make sure you get them! Maybe just write it down on your list when you send them out! I know, I have beans that I planted in the spring, well they sent out new shoots and another crop, and they are still all green! It is insane! LOL!

Christy

o

My package went out today. Sixty-three varieties, 305 packs. It looks like there will be enough Supermarconi (my second favorite bean) for all.

Gary

o

Mon, Oct 26, 09 at 21:37

Christy,
Lol, yes I'm sure they were from me this time : )

Gary,
Holy Cow! 305 packs! You went crazy, lol.
Remy

o

WOW Gary! that's impressive!!

I am planning on heading to the p.o. tomorrow we've had flu symptoms here and I've had sick kiddos all wkend and today.. I hope tomorrow is gonna be better..lol ugh!

~Wendy / sassyb...

o

bonechickchris,

Maybe you should stop your mail for the few days your going to be away next week. (Is it really that soon?) you can do it at www.usps.com or at your local post office. Keep those beans safe.

Bruce

o

OMG Gary! That is A LOT of beans! LOL! Thank you so much! Please make sure you let me know of some varieties that you are looking for so I make sure I give you back some that you do not already have. Thanks!

I will only be away for like 3 or 4 days, sort of a half vacation. I have my mom coming over daily to feed the birds and fish, so she will bring in my mail for me. I just wanted to let everyone know, especially because the deadline will be passed, and if you dont hear from me for a few days, I dont want you to think I ran off with all the beans! LOL!
So, probably all beans will be ok, I just would perfer they be here before so it would be one less thing to worry about.

I did not get my mail yet today, but I did get Bonnies beans yesterday!
***dirtdiggin~Toni
***booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
***highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
***grymntl~Bruce
tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim
***dem pa~Don
zebraman
luvgardening2/Nancy
***remy
***arroyogardener/Jamie
***reynal/Danny
(*** seeds Received)

Hope you feel better Wendy, I know what that is like! When I was sick, I just wanted to shoot myself because I felt so bad! LOL! I could not think or do anything!

o

Crazy, Remy?

Good thing it wasn't a tomato seed swap. :)

Gary

o

And here I thought 27 was a lot! LOL!

o

Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 21:20

Becky,
I did 26 I thinking it was a lot too!

Gary,
Lol, I know what you mean about tomato seeds swaps!
Remy

o

Daniel and I sent a few more, but Gary has us beat! LOL

o

Well, I received Gary's HUGE package today! I felt like it was Christmas! LOL! He shared so many beans, you should all thank him for his generousity! And please GARY, let me know of some varieties that you DONT have so I can send you back some good ones in return!

sugarshane, gardenmom2, and Zebraman, if you do not mind, could you just send me an email or post to let me know that you are still in this and if your beans are sent out yet? No problems, just wanted to double check with the people who I have not seen active on the thead lately. Christy

***dirtdiggin~Toni
***booberry85~Becky
sunnyk~Donna
***highalttransplant~Bonnie
gardenmom2~Nichol
***grymntl~Bruce
***tormato~Gary
sugarshane1313~Jim
***dem pa~Don
zebraman
luvgardening2/Nancy
***remy
***arroyogardener/Jamie
***reynal/Danny
(*** seeds Received)

o

TOday I got beans from sugarshane! Thank you!!!!

These are the people that I have not received beans from yet, with most of them I know they are on their way. Would gardenmom2 and zebraman, PLEASE let me know that you are still in! Beans are due tomorrow! Thanks!

sunnyk~Donna On Their Way
gardenmom2~Nichol ???
sassybutterfly 2008~Wendy On Their Way
zebraman ????
luvgardening2/Nancy ON Their Way

o

Trying a recipe with Jacob's Cattle Beans tonight. It's cooking now after soaking the beans over night, but I thought I'd share. It's real easy and simply cooks in the crock pot...

Vegetarian Crock Pot Baked Beans

Ingredients:
1 pound dry beans
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, chopped or coarsely grated
2 celery stalks, sliced thinly
4 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
2 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
4 tbsp ketchup
1/4 cup margarine

Preparation:
Cover the beans with water and soak the overnight.
Add all ingredients, including soak water, to a crock pot and stir to combine. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Toni

o

I can't wait to see what goodies are sent to me!
I didn't know there were so many different types of beans.
Hopefully I get alot of soup type beans.
I can't wait to start putting together some recipes to go along w/ the wonderful assortment of peppers I will have next year!

o

Okay...the votes are in and it's a thumbs up recipe!!!!!!! Absolutely delicious!!!!!

o

Mmmmmm! Toni, that recipe looks like a keeper. I think I'm going to ry it this week.

o

Hey! Dean (a regular on the Legume forum) posted some interesting reads on beans. You might want to check out this thread and these blogs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blogs on Beans

o

Hi, I would like to request to drop out of this swap. If the beans have not been sent, please just pass mine out among the other people and use my postage for a later swap or swapper that may be short.

Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here