Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NEW: Theme Garden Seed Swap

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 18, 08 at 19:59

Here it is again - the fabulous Theme Garden Seed Swap!!!

drippy has been hostess in the past for this swap. I participated last year, as did many others. It was a wonderful swap and I have checked with her, but she cannot act as hostess this year, so I would like to continue what has been a great seed swap. You can post here on the Round Robin thread if you want to sign up or have questions on how this will work.

Most of this is taken from what drippy posted last year, but it will give you the general idea of how this will work.
Do you have a theme garden? Do you want to have a theme garden (or more than one)? Then this swap is for you! For those of you who might be so new to gardening that you might not know what it is, sometimes people plan their gardens around a single theme. That theme can really be anything - perhaps the original theme garden was the Herb Garden. Another popular garden is the Moon Garden - all white flowers. Some people collect plants that have the names of their family members or they like plants that have animal names (like tiger lily.) When I participated last year, I would see the ideas others posted and kept thinking, "I want that one, too!"

Sign up here until October 20. You will be getting updates posted from me here and I will be sending some information to you by e-mail prior to when you send to me so don't send until we are sure all of the details are finalized. For now, post your theme garden types and any particular seeds you are hoping to get for them. Also, check other posts and start setting aside your seeds for others in the swap. Please only seed seeds that were harvested or purchased in 2007 or this year.

Seeds should be packaged in ready-to-trade individual packs; I cannot sort bulk seeds. This will be a "one-for-one-plus swap" - meaning you will receive one packet back for each packet you send in plus at least one or two extras. Please limit any one particular variety of seeds to 5 packs unless more than 5 people have requested that seed and you are sending them labeled as to who requested them. Just to keep myself sane, please do not send a total of more than 100 trade packets overall. (Even that number has me in awe!) You can add up to 20 bonus packs that are ones that you are basically giving away and don't expect something in return. All types of plant seeds (flowers, vegetables, herbs, shrubs) are welcome. However, if you only want vegetable seeds or only want flower seeds, or whatever, please let me know.

You will need to send your seeds to me in a bubble mailer envelope. No boxes. Include a self-addressed label with your seeds. Keep the labels fairly small so I can try to re-use the bubble mailer you send when I return seeds to you and send a mailer that is sufficiently large. Inside the mailer include a listing of the seeds you have sent, a copy of your theme garden list and seed wishes, and your GW name. It would be very nice if you would label your packets with your GW name as well. Most importantly: Please include postage equal to the amount of postage it costs you to send your packet.

Seeds need to be mailed to me by October 31 and I plan to have have the seeds in the mail back to you for an early December arrival date. I need to get all of this out of the way before I start decorating for Christmas. If your seeds are mailed out too late, you will not be part of the trade and I will have to return your original seeds to you.

Special note to newbies: if you have only few packs, still play! If you have NO seeds to trade, go buy 2 or 3 packs and still play! Many "vets" send in extras to swaps to be given away. I cannot guess how many more seeds you will receive than you send in, but I know I have some, and I bet others do, too.

Special note to newbies and vets who are sending bonus seeds: I would be grateful if you include just a little additional postage to help with remailing.

If I've forgotten anything, please email me or post here. Let the fun begin!

Ideas for themes:

All one color (e.g., Red Garden)
Ornamental grasses
Moon Garden
Bible Garden
Heirloom Tomatoes
Specific Type Flower (e.g., Sunflower Garden)
Native Flowers
Numbers Garden (e.g., Four O'Clocks, Five Spot)
Birds and Butterflies Garden
Jewel Tones (ruby, emerald green, navy, topaz)
Foliage that is "Anything But Green" (Gray, brown, or purple foliage)

and many more!
Looking forward to lots of fun!

If anything in here is confusing, let me know so I can clarify it.

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: Theme Garden Seed Swap

Jeanne,
It sounds like a lot of fun!
Am I correct that you can choose more than one theme?
If so, I choose these themes:
Garden of Vines and Climbers, a work in progress-I can't imagine ever having too many vines. Honeysuckles(not japonica), Morning Glories, Clematis, various gourds, Thunbergias, Sweet Peas, Runner Beans; all kinds of annual and perennial vines would be wonderful!

Witch's Garden, also a work in progress- still looking for Mandrake, Rowan, Aconitum vulparia (Wolfsbane), others

Outdoor Foliage Garden, a new endeavor- colorful, variegated, textured, tiny leaves, enormous leaves-a whole outdoor garden reliant on foliage form and color for interest. Plants like Coleus, Hosta, Heuchera, Ferns, Petasites, Rheum, Rhubarb, Hypoestes, many others.

Thanks for hosting! I can't wait to see what others will choose.
Alana

o

Oh, yes - list as many as you want - either themes you already have or ones you want to start!
I know there will be questions about how many seeds per packet and I promise I will look over drippy's information posted last year and see how she set that up. Of course, with bonus seeds, you can send as few as you want per pack. I know with some of my plants, I did not harvest as many seeds as I had hoped because it has been so hot and dry here. Some seeds are rare, difficult to find, etc. and if two of you agree before you send them to me that 5 of one type of seed will be swapped for 3 of another type of seed, that is fine. Just clue me in that the packet is for a certain person and "pre-arranged" between the two of you.
Guess I should add that if you are new to harvesting seeds, try to read a little about how to harvest, store, and package them. Maybe someone can post where to find that on GardenWeb for all of us.

Welcome to the swap, Alana. I know I got some seeds that you contributed last year. Maybe you can keep me squared away on all of this!

I will list my themes soon. Of course, I know what is out there now, but the new ones I might want to add (????)

Jeanne

o

Hi Jeanne,
This will be just perfect for me! I have just started a "Heritage Garden." This past year my husband bought me 6 rose bushes for my birthday as a border row for a new garden bed. These all had a name that included Irish or Celtic or English. I would also like to include anything with a name reference to Scottish or Welsh. That's all the heritage! ;oD
There are lots of things out there - particularly looking for some Scottish Bluebells and Snapdragons "Celtic Copper." But will take just about anything that is perennial zone 6 or flowering annual.

Putting together seed packets for the different themes sounds like fun too. I'm delighted to join in.
Sue

o

Welcome, Sue. I love the idea that you have for a Heritage Garden! You are right, with this swap it is fun to both give and receive.
Perhaps I should mention for the benefit of all that the bonus seeds do not have to match anyone's theme or wish list. I will distribute them in the best way I can. For example, if you say, "No vegetables" I will not add a packet of lettuce seeds to your envelope. When you mail your seeds and list to me, you will get the option to include on the list seeds that you do not want!!!
Also, if anyone is feeling intimidated that they cannot come up with the right kind of seeds to send, once more people join in, you will find it easier and easier to fit things into the various categories.
I will try to get a few more specifics up here over the next few days. Bear with me. I don't want to make the rules too limiting, but want to see that you get things that match up with your gardening goals, too.
Jeanne

o

hello
I was wondering who was going to do this one this year.
I'm gonna try and do the "wish list swap" just after the 1st of the year.

my themes are

hummingbird - red flowers, trunpet shaped flowers(please no trumpet vine, I have that) anything in your garden you have hummers feeding from.

purple and yellow butterfly garden - mostly annuals, zinnias, cosmos, verbenas, and so on that butterflies like. milkweeds, parsley, fennel, dill, false nettle, cassia, false indigo, things butterfly caterpilers like to eat.

red, white, and blue - perennials in red white and true blue(not purple) would love things that look like fireworks, tall spiky.

Orange you lovly -all orange flowers, this will be a new garden I will start next year, so anything goes for it.

columbine garden - any and all columbines named or not

and lastly

my gardening friends - I will also start this one next year, I want to get seeds from as many gardening friends as I can, I want your most fav plant that produces seeds, just a few seeds(6-8) would be just fine. and maybe why you like it so much. I just love getting to know people through their gardens.

I know there are a lot but I just can't help adding a few new spots each year.

thanks jeanne I will pack all my seeds in packets labled for the person that they are for, and I will also mark the number of seed packets in each and I will put down the total sent. I'll try to make it as easy for you as possible.

michelle

o

Jeanne, this sounds like fun! I will have to see if I can get some seeds together for it and let ya know. I don't have a lot of extra at this time. I am wanting to do a GIANT sunflower garden next year with all different sizes and types of sunflowers.
I've got a lot going on right now, but will let ya know in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for hosting this!
Vic

o

Thanks for joining us, Michelle, and I hope you will, too, Vic. Don't worry if you don't have many seeds. I know that the last few times this swap was done, there were lots of bonus seeds so it's a good way to add to your garden.
I tried to check to see what the rule was about number of seeds per packet and it looks like if you arrange to swap with or send something specific to someone, it can be as few as you like. Otherwise, I would say to send at least 10-15 seeds per packet. Does that sound okay?
Anyway, here are my themes:

Red and white flower garden: I like to use red and white flowers in front of the shubbery around my house. Actually, I added lots of yellow to the blend this year because I did not have enough red and white, but still hoping for more red and white.

Windmill garden: I have a blue and white windmill in one garden. It was a gift from my husband and it is around 5 feet tall. I just love it! Anyway, I plant mostly pink, blue, and white flowers there. It is a hot and sunny area.

Rose garden: Not asking for rose seeds here, but the roses have pretty much disliked our hot, dry summers. I have started to add other flowers to the area, especially those that like sun and are pretty heat and drought tolerant. I would prefer some that are no more than 15" tall so I can see the roses when they do bloom. I have lots of dahlias in there now and they tower over everything else!

Herb garden: These go in various places from sun to shade and many in containers.

Neopolitan garden: This one is an idea I got from being in this swap last year The idea is to grow plants relating to the colors (or with the words in their names): Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla (white.) It has been fun finding plants that fit in with this theme.

Gems and fine jewels: plant names that include things like pearl, ruby, emerald, etc. Also, the words silver and gold.

Angel garden: Plant with names including the word angel.

Spook-tacular garden: This one is one I think would be fun for fall - fall colors - yellows, orange, brown, and even better if they bloom in the fall - or plants with the words relating to "harvest" or "Halloween": things like Pumpkin Pie Spice daylily or Casper eggplant (have those.)

Vegetable garden: This is very limited because of space concerns so I have been looking for mini-varieties (or super easy to grow) vegetables. Maybe the "easy to grow" should be taken to mean - can stand up to lots of heat and lack of rain. LOL

I may decide I like some more as you post your ideas! I love reading everyone's ideas. I will be gathering seeds and hunting through my seed box to find things that everyone will like!

Jeanne

o

Hi: I'd like to get in on this swap. Micyrey did a butterfly one last year & it was great.

My themes:

Butterly Garden- Red Salvia, Black Eye Susan, Dill, Fennel, Milkweed, Red Zinnia

Sunflower- Any kind, any height, any color

Nature: Anything that the birds and iguanas will eat so they will stop coming onto my porch. (Those little boogers are getting REALLY bold lately.)

Thanks.

Beverly

o

Since we can have more than one theme, I just wanted to add that in addition to my Heritage Garden, I would be delighted to have seeds for:

Butterfly Garden - always looking for flowering plants that will attract different kinds of butterflies

Herbal/Medicinal plant Garden - I am just starting to plan this one for next year, and would love any seeds that others have used for this purpose and how they used them.

Heritage Garden - I just found out there was an Aquilegia "Leprechaun's Gold" - anybody have this?

Thanks so much,
Sue

o

OOOh, this one sounds like so much fun. Every time I say that I'm going to limit myself on the trades, something else really interesting comes along. I can't resist this one! My theme will be a Bible garden. I've been wanting to start one since early in the year. I'll check back in later to get more details. Nikki

o

Sounds like fun! I'd love to join in.

Right now I have a blue and dark purple garden started that needs additions.

Also, I'd like to promote a hummingbird & butterfly garden.

I have a children's garden started that this year included sunflowers and yellow & orange pot marigold. Would love to add either fun textures or names that kids would like, like animal names or other yellow & orange flowers that are easy & don't require lots of TLC.

thanks,
Andrea

o

Oh yes! Count me in on this one. Last year my themes were everlastings & butterfly/bee/hummer, and I received some great salvias, asclepias, gomphrena, strawflowers, & many other cool seeds! This year my themes are:

Herb Garden ~ I have sage, chives & basil, and would like to add some more herbs.

Zinnia's -I have the standard mixed color. I'd like a bunch of different varieties, profusion, spider, etc. I love zinnias! And the butterflies love them too.

Thank you for hosting Jeanne!

Maggie

o

I'd like to join. I'm planning 4 theme gardens:

1) Fairytale garden for me and my 7 yr old niece. :)
Wanted:
Flowers which have fairy, pixie, dwarf, gnome, dragon, wizard, treasure, or miniature in the name. Or plants which star in a fairy tale. Or, any compact annual flowers under 14" tall, and relatively easy to grow from seed.

Due to space concerns, no Giant anything please!! I already have that covered- via Giant Beanstalk seeds (a scarlet runner bean which makes really big beans and LONG vines).

Examples:
Anagallis monellii (said to attract fairies)
Wonderberry, Burbank's sunberry (Solanum burbankii)- Supposedly also attracts fairies, plus yields useful fruit.
Bacopa (stars as Athelas in LOTR film and has medicinal uses)
rampion (this is the plant in the fairytale rapunzel)
petunia 'aladdin'
lisianthus 'cinderella'
stock 'cinderella mix'
Anacyclus depressus 'Garden Gnome'
Bellis perennis (same name as Belle from Beauty & the Beast)
papaver alpinum "garden gnome"
Stock, Dwarf Ten Weeks
coleus wizard mix
coleus black dragon
dwarf snapdragons
Lupinus elegans "dwarf pink fairy"
Lupine "Pixie delight"
Pixie dianthus
Pixie Princess Mix aster
'Pixie' Japanese maple
Daylily "pixie beauty" or "pixie pipestone"
T&M's Fairy Mix (this is mainly toadflax and dwarf candytuft)
callistephus chinensis (aka Gremlin aster)
aquilegia white dwarf fan (aka nana alba)
aquilegia danish dwarf
aquilegia dwarf fantasy mixed
aquilegia dwarf fairyland
aquilegia little treasure
aquilegia sugar plum fairy
Sweet pea, dwarf "Sugar n Spice"
Godetia monarch dwarf, which look like perfect fairy skirts.

2) small-space Edible flowers garden!
Alaska mix nasturtiums (or any with variegated leaves)
any nasturtium which blooms in a color other than orange or yellow.
bachelors buttons, especially the purples and near-blacks
pansies: any that aren't yellow, orange, or peach.
Calendulas, any pink ones, or creamy white ones, non-orange and non-yellow types!
Snapdragons, any color except yellow and orange (fresh seed only!)
Dianthus, Velvet n Lace- or any deep maroon one.
Dianthus, old fashioned- Any with a strong, noticeable fragrance.

3) herb garden- looking for the following:
Lovage, fresh seeds only please
Capers, preferably no older than one year
Chervil, fresh seeds only please
Agastache foeniculum (anise hyssop), fresh seeds only please
Bacopa (now available from some seed companies)
Wild Garlic (Allium canadense), would especially love the pink or lavender flowered one!
Culantro, Eryngium foetidum (not cilantro)
culinary sage (edible sage), purple leaved or tricolor.
Thai Basil "Siam Queen" or any Thai basil that has a strong licorice/anise scent.
Persian anise basil (has silvery foliage and a licorice scent)

4) Asian/Japanese garden. Asian plants seem to do well in my climate. Looking for:

Japanese MG's, any fancy large flowered types!
Korean radish "Tae Baek"
Mild heirloom Daikon radish, such as:
"Miyashige" "Sakurajima" "Shogoin", or "Luo Buo"
Asian turnip "Hinona Kabu" or "Shogoin"
Japanese spinach such as Akarenso, Samba, Orai
Choy sum
Garnet Giant baby leaf
Golden streak baby leaf
" frill " "
Hatakena
Tat soi (really want!)
Toy choi
Komatsuna
Purple mustard greens (an Asian variety from Osaka)
Ruby streak baby leaf
kosaitai (really want!)
Mizuna (any variety)
Mibuna
Miike
Misome (really want!)
Saisai purple
Tokyo bekana
Wasabina
Yanagawa takana
Chinese leek, "hiro haba" or flowering type
Asian red scallion
Sweet Quartz VFNT- a disease resistant Japanese tomato.
Litchi Tomato Or Morelle De Balbis Solanum sisymbriifolium- An annual fruit, does well in warm climates and is grown in Asia for food.

o

Hooray! I'm glad you're taking over as the host! This is such a great swap. Maybe Drippy will join, with new themes for her new garden!

For the most part, I'd like perennials. If there's an annual that fits perfectly, though, send it in! I have almost no moist shade in my garden, but plenty of average to dry part-sun where many full-sun plants do fine, and I have dry shade. Oh, I should say "no columbines, please." I have a lot, and the deer eat them--no room for more!

My themes:

Red Bed: I'm growing an all-red garden, hopefully someday like gottagarden's in the Cottage forum. I'm trying to get as many true reds in there as I can, but I'm using some purple-red, mahogany, and orange-red. The bed gets pretty decent sun, and is average to dry. Foliage or flowers can be in this color scheme. Specific things I'd like for it are: red-flowered penstemons, annual red lobelia, red wallflower (cheiranthus cheirii), red achillea, Jacob Cline monarda, coreopsis mahogany midget, Bergenia (Bressingham Ruby or similar), true red Maltese Cross (I have scarlet), Silene regia, red California poppies.

True Blue: Oh, how I love those true blues! A tinge of purple is ok, too. I'd love any species of Anchusa/alkanet. Dragonhead (Dracocephalon), fresh delphinium seed, Veronica gentianoides, echium plantagineum blue bedder.

Xeric/Sand Trap: Plants that do well in dry conditions, including alpine plants. The farther plants are from my house, the less likely they are to be watered. Agastaches and penstemon are ideal for my yard. I do have Agastache foeniculum, and a white version, and A. rupestris "Root Beer," and Golden Jubilee. There are others, though, that I'd love!). I have Penstemon Husker's Red already. Verbena bonariensis, Culver's root in purple would be great. I'd also love Asters, Echium, variegated yucca, Brazilian Bachelor Button (Centratherum intermedium).

Fall Interest: I HAVE to get more stuff that blooms this time of year! Chrysanthemums from seed like Clara Curtis or others, Asters--especially shorter, big-flowered ones, preferably perennial. (But tall is fine, smaller colored flowers are fine, etc!). Boltonia and Stokesia. Salvia azuria, Perennial blue ageratum. Calamint, Calamintha nepeta. I think agastaches outside my zone would bloom at this time--my volunteer hardy ones do. I do already have Montauk Daisy, and tiny-flowered tall perennial asters.

Shorties: Small perennials, mostly 8" high or less, although I'd like the Echinaceas Kim's Knee high and Baby Swan White. I have dwarf blue balloon flower, other colors would be great.

Fun Foliage: Lacy, variegated, BIG, chartreuse, etc.--I want it! **Heliopsis Lorraine Sunshine**, Variegated Obedient Plant, Ornamental Rhubarb, Cardoon, Perennial Candytuft (Iberis), Bush Zucchini Gold Rush (pretty leaves!), chartreuse centaurea montana. Pink Muhly grass. Purple or Reddish plants like Red Rubin Basil would be great. I already have purple Joe Pye and perilla. The deer ate all the amaranth, so don't send that! :).

Heritage/Friends and Family: I'd love plants that have the names: Jill, Rene', Brian, Nancy, Scott, John, Lorraine, Annette, Annetta, Emily. Plants with names/origin in China or Lithuania or France or Belgium or Germany would be great.

I love this swap because I end up getting things I didn't expect, and they're perfect. I hope I can do the same for all of you. I already have things in mind for some!

o

this sounds so fun!!!
I never thought about to have a theme for my garden.
I have a little spot in my garden with few kinds of herbs and I would like to add more verieties, such as rosemary,Chamomile,Chives,and Thyme.Then, that could be my herb garden :)

I also have been swaping morning glory seeds with others because we have fans all around our house and I was thinking to color them with morning glory~~all kinds of them.so far, I have purple,pink ,and blue color of morning glory and I would love to have yellow, white, red,bi-color,tri-color,even multi-color morning glory.

color theme sounds fun too!I am thinking(and this is not normal for me)I could use a corner for purple and a corner for all white!
wow, that is just too good to be true~~

o

Welcome to Beverly, Nikki, Andrea, Maggie, grovespirit, stage_rat, and wind_red!
Sue, I'm glad you added extra themes. The more the merrier!
I have been in touch with Kim (drippy) by e-mail and she is going to join us, too. I told her she needs some "Southern seeds!"
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Jeanne

o

I just want to mention, if your "My Page" here on GardenWeb does not allow me to pull up your e-mail address so I can send e-mail to you, please send an e-mail address to me. I want to send out additional information prior to the mailing date and if things go like they usually do, some of the seeds will not fit neatly into one category or another and I may want to check with individual members about what they might like. Plus, if there are a lot of "bonus seeds" at the end (something that happened the last time we had this swap) I can send e-mail to everyone to see which seeds you might like to claim.
I think I may pull up some online sites and do a bit of seed shopping. I am getting excited with all the fun themes we have!
Jeanne

o

• Posted by bri_fl 9 FL Lakeland (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 22:06

First time in the RR forum! Hi All. I'm pretty sure I get it.
I've been wanting to start a "Love Garden" anything with the words love, kisses, heart, etc.
Love in a puff, kiss me over the the garden gate, love lies bleeding, bleeding heart, etc. I;m kinda newer so I don't know how much I 'll be able to contribute but I'll try!

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 0:39

I would love to join this one! I was in last's years and it was great! My themes are:

Red/Hummingbird garden - Foliage or flowers that are red

Foliage shade garden - anything with nice/different/interesting foliage that does well in shade

Pink and white low growers-under 12 inches

Native plants/trees/shrubs

Container plants - I love all kinds!

Rhonda

o

This sounds to good to pass up! In looking through people's themes, I know I can contribute to their gardens. A few themes that I'd love to get growing in my garden are:

Dr Seuss: Any Vegetables and flowers in unusual shapes colors & sizes. I'd concentrate primarily of veggies with a few flowers. Examples of veggies & flowers for the Dr. Suess garden would by: Jersey Devil Tomatoes, Sausage or Green Sausage tomatoes, Cherokee Purple tomatoes, Peter Pepper, Gomphrena, English Daisies, giant pumpkins, pumpkin on a stick eggplant, speckled lettuces, patty pan squash, beans other than green in color, etc.

Purple, Purple, Purple! I love the color purple. Again I'd like to concentrate on flowers & veggies. Examples would be: Beans (bush or pole), tomatoes (we can sneak a few black tomatoes in here too!), peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, petunias, pansies, obedient plant, salvia, zinnias, cosmos. I think you get the idea.

Witch's or Alchemist's Herb Garden: Examples of things in this garden are: sage, elfwort, yarrow, vervain (verbena), borage, Lady's Mantle, tooth ache plant, hellebore, and other medicinal herbs.

Hot & Sunny: I live in upstate NY. However, I thrive in hot sunny weather. So anything that can remind me of summer. Veggies and flowers that have the word(s): sun, sunny, summer, hot, blazing or are bright red or yellow. There are LOTS of hot peppers that fit this description, sunflowers, Summer Sky, Sunrise echinacea, Sunburst squash, Sunray squash, etc.

Autumn Harvest: This would concentrate on things commonly harvested or seen in the fall in Zone 5: winter squashes, gourds, pumpkins. brussels sprouts, cauliflower, onions, peppers, mums, toad lilies, etc.

Thanks so much!

Becky

o

This is great! I have something that matches a theme from almost every poster.

Theme envy prompts me to add one more theme to the three I already posted. I hope no one minds.
Revised list:
1. Vines and Climbers
2. Witch's Garden
3. Foliage Garden
4. Zinnia collection (borrowed from Maggie) I love Zinnia's too and never have enough!

o

I'd love to join this swap. I have several themes going so here they are
Birds & Butterflies
Native Plants
Climbing plants
Vegetables
My Red bed!
Gourds galore
Joann

o

As a newbie at seed saving and trading, not to mention a rookie at these round robin swaps, I apologize if I am not following protocol or overstepping my bounds, BUT...

I was at my favorite local discount store this afternoon, and saw that they had three plastic bins full of seed packets. They were all Burpee brand, and left over packets from this year, to be sold by 11/2008. Since they were marked down for clearance, I just had to dig through, found a few for myself and while I was at it, discovered a few that I thought would be great for this Theme Swap. So here is the list that I bought today with the theme(s) I think they fit, and if anybody wants to lay claim, just post here and I'll mark the packets with your Gardenweb name to reserve them for you. (I think this is the way it works.) I was trying to remember all the themes by memory. First come - first served, but I can always go back for more...

VINES, FRAGRANCE, PURPLE GARDEN
Sweet Pea - "High Fragrance" - Annual - 2 packs - "most fragrant of all sweet peas. Lovely blooms are creamy white lavender bicolor."

RED GARDEN
Marigold - "Scarlet Starlet" - Annual - 2 packs - "bronze red petals delicately edged in gold, circle a crown of contrasting yellow centers"

ANIMAL NAMES
Marigold - "Jaguar" - Annual - 2 packs - "single yellow blooms with dark mahogany blotches"

FAIRY TALE
Marigold - "Court Jester" - Annual - 1 pack - "festive, single, golden-yellow blooms are striped red"

FAIRY TALE, WHITE GARDEN
Cosmos - "LIttle Princess" - Annual - 1 pack - "large 3-4" single flowers grace well-branched, more compact plants (18-24 inches)"

PURPLE GARDEN
Larkspur - "Sublime Bicolor" - Annual - 2 packs - "unique double, bicolor lavender-blue and white blooms"

ANGEL GARDEN, WHITE GARDEN, VINES
Morning Glory - "Pearly Gates" - Annual - 2 packs - "shining white flowers, 4 1/2 inches across, with light cream throat"

This is so much fun! ;oD
Sue

o

Please count me in. I am a new gardener this year so ready to get alot of beds and containers going next year. I have been harvesting seeds like crazy this weekend. Here are my themes. I LOVE COLOR !!!!!!!

1. container - anything low growing that I could put in a container or window box as I plan to have loads of them around (sun or shade either one)

2. columbine - I just found these beauties in a magazine but have never had them as plants before. So I plan to make a bed of just columbine next year.

3. daisy - any bright colored (ex: painted daisy) - not crazy about white or yellow

4. clematis - hope to have some of these next year on my arbor and trellis

o

There are two on your list that I like, Sue, but I am not going to lay claim to them so if someone else wants to, that it is fine. Sure don't want to hog the show. Lucky you finding seeds on clearance like that! They all sounds really nice, too.
I guess I should mention that you can send packs of seeds that are NOT labeled FOR anyone in particular. For example, several of us listed "red flowers." When they are not labeled for someone in paricular, I will just take all the seeds for "red flowers" and divide them among the people who requested them. However, if you hear from someone who specifically wants what you posted, it is fine to label the packet with a name so I will know who to send it to. (Make sure when you list names, you also list that it is FROM you so I don't start sorting and return it back to you. That would not be good at all.)
Many people last year helped with the sorting process by grouping their seeds - maybe putting all the red packets in a zip lock bag and labeling it "red flowers" - or if you have arranged some that go to someone in particular, putting those in a zip lock bag labeled with the person's name. Anything you can do to help me out, I will appreciate. I want the seeds to get to the right homes!
So, the seeds can come to me labled with someone's name or they can just be included and divided up by me. Sometimes the option to divide them up is good in case, for example, I get 6 packets of "Pearly Gates' labeled for ME... then I would divide them up and send some to others who have that type of theme or like vines.
Hope all that makes sense. If what you are sending does not sound like it will fit in with anyone's theme, make it a bonus seed packet and I will see who wants what from the bonuses at the end. I think some of those typcially go to people who are just starting out and have a pretty wide open theme - but any seeds that do not turn out to be an obvious match, I will make a list of them and send the list to all the participants to see who wants what. Someone will love getting them. Don't we all love seeds? (!!)
Jeanne

o

hmmmmmmmm, micyrey is doing the wish-list swap in January and I'm just not the patient sort so I'm going to cheat and do two swaps in one.... my theme (drum roll):

"the Wishful Thinking garden": (heh-heh) ;]

Looking for something that qualifies as a Stepable - for the area underneath our pin-oak tree - this area gets part sun but runs on the dry side, and would prefer something that doesn't attract bees for too long since the kids have a swing in the tree
Abelmoschus esculentus Burgundy - Okra Red Burgundy
Agastache aurantiaca Apricot Sprite hyssop
Agastache rupestris - Sunset hyssop
Amaranthus caudatus Candelabra - Candelabra Amaranth
Corn - Baby Corn, the Asian stir-fry kind that gets about 3" long - do you have a favorite I can try?
Eccremocarpus scaber - Chilean Glory Vine, any color
Echinacea paradoxa - yellow coneflower
Salvia - Cambridge Blue - this year's plant did not bloom, I will try to overwinter
Sensitive Plant - Mimosa Pudica (mine hasn't set seed yet, and nephew wants to try it for his kids :])
Zaluzianskya capensis - Night Phlox - opens at night, very fragrant

Also ANYTHING *scented* Chocolate or spicy/clove mmmmmm...

And my family garden - anything named Abby (Abra), Adam, Anna, Aaron, and Timothy.

I see several things on lists above that I can share. If you see anything on my "haves" list that you want, please let me know and I'll send it with your name on it too. No need for even swaps - *note to Jeanne: I don't expect back the same amount I send, please! but I will send enough postage to distribute the seeds :] - just spreading the seed-y love. :]

Terri

o

Does anyone want to claim any of the following?

Vines/Climbers
Ipomoeas:
Morning Glory Emma's Gift 3 packs of 12-15 seeds
JMG Chocolate Silk, 3 packs 12 or so seeds each
Mina lobata (syn Ipomoea lobata) 3 packs
Morning Glory Blue Star 5 packs 15 or so seeds each
Ipomoea hederifolia var Lutea 5 packs 15 or more seeds
Ipomoea obscura 2 packs 12 or more seeds each

Cardiospermum, Love in a Puff
Asarina scandens, Amethyst

Fall/Children's Garden
Solanum integrifolium, Pumpkin Tree 3 packs

Fairy/Children's Garden
Nicotiana x Sanderae, Tinkerbell 3 packs
Dracocephalum, Snow Dragon 3 packs
Malva Mystic Merlin 1 pack
Agastache aurantica, Apricot Sprite 1 for Terri and 1 more for ?

o

Oh my, the temptation got to me... with my Neopolitan garden, please put my name on one of the packets of JMG Chocolate Silk. What a beautuful name!
Welcome to those who just joined in. We will love to have you trade with us. If this is your first ever Round Robin Swap, a double welcome. You will love it!
Jeanne

o

Hi Sue, I'd love the Morning Glory "pearly gates" for my bible garden.
I also want to add another themed garden request. I started a Fairy garden for my 8 year old daughter earlier this year and I really need to expand on it. So now my themes are Bible Garden and Fairy Garden. With that in mind, if you still have the nicotania available, I'd love it too Sue.
Now I need to go through my seeds and see if some match some of your themes. I need to make a shopping list! Nikki

o

What a wonderful idea! I would love to join in. My themes are "RED" and "Blue" Flowers. I was mesmerized by the "Red Bed" on this forum and I tried to duplicate it at least a little. I had some success and the hummingbirds were there to cheer me on. Now I'm hooked.

Thanks for hosting this.

o

Ok Nikki - one pack of "Pearly Gates" is yours. But, the Nicotiana wasn't me, I think it was poisondartfrog.
Sue

o

I ordered some seeds today - ones that I knew I did not have in my stash - so I hope there will be some happy participants when the seeds come in.
Hey, we need some more players... come in and join us!
Jeanne

o

Hi Jeanne.

Neat swap you've got here! I've got a few things I can contribute:

For the columbine lovers:
Purple columbine and Nora Barlow

For the love gardens:
Kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate

For colour-themed gardens:
Purple: Fuchsia petunias (a bright purply-pink kind of purple), Campanula Blue Clips (why they're called blue, I don't know, lol) and Purple columbine
White: petunias
Pink: Cheddar pinks, pink scabiosa and Dianthus 2-tone in pink & raspberry
Yellow: EC Buxton Anthemis Tinctoria
Orange: Maltese Cross
Blue: Forget-me-nots

For the Jewel gardens:
Persian jewels (blues and pinks)

For the butterfly gardens:
Black-eyed susans

For the Witches' gardens:
Goblin gaillardia (does that work? lol)

For the hot & sunnies:
Goblin gaillardia, burgundy gaillardia, EC Buxton

For the Bible garden:
Maltese cross

For the children's gardens:
Snapdragons (a bunch of colours, will have to check how many)

I'd be happy to tag these if anyone would like to let me know before sending them in.

I have 2 themes:
1. Katie's special garden (for my 8-year-old)
Includes anything with the name Katie in it and anything "special" so she tells me, lol. This means anything pretty or interesting or that has something to do with fairies. It's a part shade garden with sun until noon.
-Sweet katie spiderwort
-Katie Ruellia
-Narcissus Katie Heath
-Confetti lantana because it's "cool"
-Pretty hibiscus because they look "wow"
-Funky named plants like Zowie Zinnia
(You get the idea)

2. Beauty in the shade
I have bleeding hearts, astilbes, bressingham coral bells, and hostas. I could really use some different foliage for texture and anything else that blooms in shade through the summer.
-Heuchera/heucherella
-Tiarella
-Coleus

Looking forward to this...again, a really fun idea.
Laura

o

Glad to have you join in, Laura. I have been looking through my seeds and thinking about the children who have a special garden and will be sure to send something for each one of them. When I send out the form for "requests" and things you don't want, etc., there will be a place for you to add your children's names if you want the packet to come to them with their name on it. Probably best not to post their names here, but I will leave that up to you.
Drippy used a form when she matched seeds for this swap so I will try to do the same. That way I can print them out and keep track of your themes and what you would like. Also it will help out if you are overwhelmed with some type of seeds and you definitely don't want more of them or you don't want any vegetables - or whatever it might be. There will be space for your gardening zone, too, so hopefully that will help with who can grow what.
Just like last year, we have the most thoughtful and creative people joining in on this swap. I know I will have a good time trying to fulfill your wishes. I feel like the tooth fairy... although sorry no money coming your way unless it is the name of a plant. Hey, how about that theme - a money garden!!!
I'll try to get the form together for next week and e-mail it to everyone who has signed up. You can fill it out and return it to me by e-mail or just print it out and put it in the envelope with you seeds. Just pondering for a little while to decide what information would be good to have when dividing up the seeds.
Jeanne

o

Thank you for the Apricot Sprite, poisondartfrog! Wishes do come true! :] lol

o

Thanks for putting this all together Jeanne!

Laura

o

hello
Jeanne I have a problem, I started sorting seeds out for players and was doing quit well...accualy too well. when I finished and counted the packets I have set aside for individual players it adds up to 115 sofar. I know you said to limit it to 100 and there are still more people to sign-up, so should I take packets out, or can I send more if I have them all bagged for individual players and if I only get 100 back that is fine.
let me know
michelle

o

Michelle,
That is too funny about you doing "too well." Tell you what, if you don't send any bonus seeds, go ahead and send up to a total of 120. My other thought is if you don't want to get the full amount back, do you have another local gardener (or even a GardenWeb friend who is trying to build up a supply of seeds) who might want to sign up to do this also? Then she/he would be getting some seeds as well as you and you could be sending in for both of you if the other gardener does not have many seeds. Sounds perfect to help out a newbie if you only want 100 back!
So, what do you think? (Of course, I am going to accept your 115 packs of seeds that others will want...)
Would love to get a few more people in this swap because I will have lots of seeds to share, too, I am starting to worry we will have an overwhelming number of seeds and not enough people to split them among. Okay, I'm a worrier and I probably shouldn't even say that and then we might have the opposite - most people only sending in a few packets - and yes, sending only a few is fine. We are looking over what people would like in certain "themes."
Hope I didn't miss any names... I will look them over more carefully once again. Also if I didn't type them accurately, I will improve my typing next time. LOL
So far we have:
sandlapper_rose (me)
micyrey
booberry85
ghoghunter
poisondartfrog
nikkineel
wind-red
brifl
rbrady
stage_rat
babcia
suecirish
roflol
laura_from_hamilton
grovespirit
etravia
andreaB
nikkined
shellfreak
and maybe vic_zn5.

o

I've been lurking, cuz I'm already in one possibly two other swaps for October, AND I'm moving on Nov 1st! But I think this would be a great way to get rid of excess seeds and build up my 'wants'! So please count me in too. I have been having a wonderful time reading all the cute and witty themes, there's even a few I'd love to do now myself! :) All my 'theme' ideas are on my trade page, it's extensive so don't be skeered! :) I have alot to share too, thanks to all the generous Gardenwebbers! Thanks for the wonderful idea! :)

Hugs,
Wendy

o

Hello! I am finally back on my own computer, so now I can get into this!

Say, I'm truly sorry I couldn't host this year - I had hoped my house would be sold by now, but we are going through the agonizing process of choosing a new realtor - and I'm sure seeds all over the table won't help sell the house...I am so thrilled that Jeanne, who will [hopefully] soon be a neighbor of mine :), is hosting this - it is a huge amount of work, so if I may make some suggestion to make it easier for her? Where you have seeds that fit a particular theme, or a particular person's theme, you could package them together. Last year, I got seeds earmarked for particular people - that was easy to just throw in their envelopes. I also got seeds packaged by theme - this helped balance out numbers a lot. A few ambitious people, to whom I am eternally grateful, sent database info with their seeds, cross-referencing themes and people that have them - if you're so inclined, that will make it easier for Jeanne.

I am hoping lots of people sign up for this - it's a ton of fun and I have way too many seeds and would love to give them away for theme gardens. My themes are many and easy, so I will request this: please don't send too many earmarked for me! I have enough seeds for my next four incarnations; I strictly do this only for the fun of getting a few new surprises. BTW, I like mixes of "common" flowers: petunias, snapdragons, etc. - I am NOT fussy about named things.

Okay, here goes - my four new themes are:

(1) Kings, Queens and Royal Court - anything with king, queen, royal, duke, duchess, jester, etc. in the name, common or botanical. This is to be an all kinds of fun garden - it can cross sun/shade lines; I'll simply plant two areas if it does.

(2) English garden - I am building a garden reminding me of my wonderful trip to the UK in the summer of '07 - I have lavender, helenium, and Great St. John's Wort. Would take anything else (roses come immediately to mind) that would fit the English garden

(3) Praise garden - words of praise, happiness, joy - e.g., delphinium exaltatum, sedum Autumn Joy, gloriosa daisy - whatever you can think of!

(4) South Carolina natives (no kudzu please - that stuff is scary! Technically, it's a Japanese native, anyway) - I am moving to upstate SC - zone 7b/8a. Honestly, I haven't researched what qualify as native plants that aren't native in this neck of the woods (New England), too, but if you know or are so inclined, go for it! Or, if I get some research done soon, I'll post some.

Other ongoing themes I have:

Ocean garden
Music garden
Herb of course - pretty well set with this, but would love more thymes. P.S. Made my first visit to SC this week - rosemary grows as a shrub! I was in heaven! :)
Everlastings - anything that dries well
Gemstones - ruby, emerald, sapphire, opal etc - semiprecious fine!
Astrology/astronomy - planets, stars, constellations - not only names, but anything associated therewith.

So, I realize with all those themes, probably everything in everyone's seed box may fit into one - so I'll stress again, please don't send me too much stuff. I am absolutely in this for the fun, and the hopes that I can actually make a little room in my seedbox!

Oh, anything that fits the theme, whether flower, shrub, veggie, or herb, works for me.

Jeanne, thanks for taking over, and stay in touch with me -

o

Hmmm.... well, I've debated for a bit and have decided I want to join this one as well :) I've got to get the bratlings ready for school, then get to work myself, so may I post my themes Wednesday at latest when I'm off work and have time to make a list?

Kathy

o

goodmorning
I will try to keep the number to 120, it is so hard :) and I will include a list of what is being sent for whom, and with the theme garden and wish list swaps I know there maybe more sent in for some people that others and I may not get back as many as I send, it all depends on what is sent in for me.

I would like to add one more theme
Timmy's garden - Timmy is 6 years old and things you can just toss out and the grow like poppies, cosmos, larkspurs, maybe some dill for the butterflies. his garden is in the sun with afternoon shade, and next to the sand box so the soil is very sandy LOL.

thanks
michelle

o

I hope it's okay, I went to Wendy's (sassybutterfly_2008) Exchange Page and copied her themes here so everyone will see them. Welcome, Wendy! Great themes!

Wendy's List
For those looking for RR ideas, I love love love butterflies, dragonflies, fairies and folklore. My current garden themes (upon completion of the move) are grand and upscale.. but that won't stop me! hehe My themes are:
'Got the Blues? Have some Chocolate!' - blue & chocolate colored flowers
'Orange You Lovely?' - orange flowers
'Moon Garden' - pure white or night opening flowers
'Garden of Weedin'' - Mix of all colors, typical cottage meets wildflower toss it in and watch it grow!
'Garden of Lost Souls' - Succulent garden in mismatched shoes
'Daylily and Vines' - Just beginning w/ this one, and we have a fence surrounding the property so I'm really looking forward to trying vines this year!
'Water Garden' - will be digging a small pond w/ water feature this year, looking for pretty water plants or plants that like their feet wet!
'Shade & Woodlands Garden - Home of the Fairies' - Shade loving plants and mini versions of plants that will welcome faery fae
'I've plumb lost my mind' - all purple flowers!
'Odds 'n Ends' - weird, wild and unusuals go here! :)
I'm also starting a small herb garden by the kitchen, and I am very interested in any and all things fragrant!

Welcome, Kathy. We'll look forward to hearing your themes.

Drippy, great to see you!!! I love the themes you have. I think a lot of the plants that are associated with SC originated in Japan and China. So glad you got to come down for a weekend and if we are thinking of the same weekend, the weather was great then! Thanks for giving some ideas of how things should be sent to me. I am working on a questionnaire to mail to those who are participating. Do you still have the one you used last year that I can look at for reference? If so, e-mail it to me. I will e-mail what I thought of so far to you and you can look at it and comment. Some people are moving right along on this so I thought I would like to send the form out next week.

Have a good weekend, everyone.
Jeanne

o

ohh! lol I was just coming here to list them so you saved me the trouble! :)

Thanks!!
~Wendy

o

You're welcome, Wendy. You have some great ideas.

I realized that I did not list my tropical garden when I listed themes. Most of those plants are ones that come back from year to year so I guess I don't think of them in terms of seeds. I do replant the lemon grass that I have in there because it does not survive the winter. I also sometimes add some red salvia and red or red and white zinnias to add color and I have stared putting a ring of short growing marigolds around my bay tree that grows in the tropical garden.
So, that's what goes on in my tropical garden!
Jeanne

o

Hi Jeanne & the gang,

If you guys are willing to take on a newbie, I'm in, too. Thanks for the invite, Jeanne!

I have never done a round robin before, so I do have a few questions...

1. How many seeds packets minimum should I send? I mainly have more common things and veggie/fruit seeds. I am willing to share some of my less common ones as well, of course, but most of them I'll have to grow out and then save seed from before it's something I can trade... like I noticed others want several of the vines I have, but I don't have enough to trade yet or they'll just be bonuses since I don't have many.

2. Is there an official list of everyone's themes so I can scan it and tag seeds for those I have without having to read every single post through-out? I've been really busy with hospital trips to Dallas (6 hours from here) for my daughter, so it would make things much simpler for me and for others probably as well.

3. I saw mention of 'this year' being discussed... is this a one month round robin I'm joining or am I joining for the year? I'm fine with either, but I just want to be clear....

Thanks for taking me on, if you guys choose to...

~Angela

o

Jeanne,

You forgot me. Just don't forget me in the swap. LOL It's o.k., I am new here and there are alot of posts on here. I can't wait. I will probably not be sending 100 packs but I will send alot.

o

Bad me, flowers1, I knew you were doing this - just didn't get your name on the list. You are way back up near the top, too!!! (...and there you are with too many seeds on your hands... LOL)
Angela, welcome to the swap! Newbies are great! We just do this one time and you are not signing up for more than that. The reference to "this year" was because this swap has been held in the past with the hostess being Kim (drippy.) Many of the people signing up have done this before and I participated last year and thought the swap was the greatest!
Let's see if I can answer the other questions because someone else is probably wondering, too. As for just a few seeds, if you prearrange with someone to send that packet specifically to her (or him if we get some fellows on board), you can send as few as you like - really, even 3-5 seeds - or fewer, just so long as the recipient is happy with it. You could post here with what you have, say - "5 Striped Cavern Tomato Seeds" and "3 seeds from Strawberry Candy daylily" for example and ask if someone wants them. If more than one answers, then just go with the first person you heard from and let them know you will tag it with their name. Of course, we are using GardenWeb screen names to label the seeds so we don't have to worry about multiples of the same first name.
Some seeds are rare or hard to collect and we know that. There are some of my seed packets that are very small and I like to warn people if they will not get the typical number of seeds. Sometimes I get 10 seeds in trade but want to save 5 of them to plant for myself but am willing to send the other 5 to someone if I see they really want them. All of those things are fine.
However, if you are sending a packet that has not been prearranged with someone, I think packets should contain about 10-15 seeds minimum just so the person has a good chance of having some of the plants grow for them. Hope that makes sense.
I don't have a list of all of the themes in one place but I will try to do that at some point and send it as an e-mail attachment to those who want it. I suspect we may have about 10 more people sign up before October 20, so there should be even more themes listed. (Has anyone done a list of themes yet - and if so, will you share?)
I think that answers what you asked, but keep me straight if I am confusing you and ask some more. This is my first time being hostess for this swap, so I am trying to make sure I understand the rules, too! (Doesn't that inspire confidence? --- LOL)
Jeanne

o
RE: NEW: Theme Garden Seeds

One additional thing that I didn't think to say to anyone who is new to gardening, does not have a lot of seeds, etc. is that in all likelihood, you will get more seeds back than what you send. So don't worry if you are sending 10 packets (or 5 or 4 or 1), you will get seeds back - at a minumum you will receive the same number you send and more likely 20 packets in exchange for your 5. Several people have lots of seeds and don't want the same number back that they send, so no number is too few. Even if there is not an excess of packets, I am happy to have you join in so you can try being in a seed swap. It's fun!
Jeanne

o

Jeanne, I'm working on a list. Is Excel okay?
Thanks,
Maggie

o

I can use Excel. How about some of the others, do you want a copy sent to you in Excel or would you rather just print off each request or do some copy and paste on your own? I have Word if that is better for most of you. Maggie may also have Word, too. I am not the best judge of which program will do what.
So... let us hear from you if you want an overall list.
Thanks!
Jeanne

o

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

I just wrote this good, long post thanking you and everyone and describing what I had and how many, then the window closed! Don't worry, though, I think I have more than enough to trade based on sharing SEVERAL things I got in trade. I won't send less than 5 seeds for anything, even the rarer or more unusual things. And, I'll only send that few as a bonus or if I see it requested by someone.

My themes are:
Flowering Vines
Any edible berries of any kind
(all fruit for that matter)
Any unusual or less common veggies/herbs
(or almost any of these as well since I'm very new and am just starting to collect seeds for all the varieties that I don't already have, which is quite a few)

This is just seeds, right? If not, I am open for just about any bulbs, and I will have some for trade as I'm getting some this week. (just let me know)

~Angela

o
Re: NEW: Theme Garden Seed Swap

Sue - You said, "I was at my favorite local discount store this afternoon"... and this is where you found some great deals... Hmmmmm.... May I ask WHERE this was so I can see if my local store has anything on clearance? ;-)

~Angela

o

Hi Angela

Sue - You said, "I was at my favorite local discount store this afternoon"

The store is here in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and I'm not sure but don't think they are a national chain. Anyway, the store is Ocean State Job Lot.
Sue

o

Just seeds, Angela. Would be too difficult to deal with bulbs and plants with this kind of swap where they get sorted over a period of time and then need to get remailed in bubble envelopes. Sorry your original e-mail got messed up because your window closed. I think every one of us has had that happen at some time and we all say, "GGGrrrrrrrr" just like you did.
Maggie has sent me an Excel file with the GardenWeb names and the themes each has requested. Wonderful job, Maggie! Anyway, if any in the group have Excel and want it now, let me know or let her know. We will do a final version once more people sign up.
Have a good weekend.
Jeanne

o

Here is a list. Please pardon my shorthand! If I missed anything, or anyone wants to add, just let us know. I think you can right click and copy it, then paste it into Word, or notepad, then add or make changes as we go. I added a white/moon garden to me!
Thanks Jeanne for hosting. This is going to be a great swap!
Maggie

Andreab ~ Blue/Dk Purple, Hummer/Bfly, Childrens (animal, orange/yellow)

angelady ~ Flowering vines, edible berries (any fruit), unusual veggies/herbs

babcia ~ Red, blue

boobarry ~ Dr Seuss (veggies), purple, witch/alchemist, Hot/Sun ("sun, hot, blazing" in name), autumn harvest

bri_fly ~ Love

drippy ~ Kings, queens, royal court, English, praise, SC Natives, ocean, music, herb, everlastings, gemstone, astrology/astronomy

etravia ~ Herbs, zinnias, white (moon garden)

flower1 ~ Container (low), columbines, daisy (not white or yellow), clematis

ghoghunter ~ Birds/bfly, natives, climbing, veggies, red, gourds galore

grovespirit ~ Fairytale (annual< 14"), small space edible flowers, herbs, asian

jaleeisa ~

laura_from_hamilton ~ "Katies special" Anything special or named Katie, Beauty in shade, Heuchera, Tiarella, Coral Bells

micrey ~ Hummer, Purple/Yellow bfly, Red/Wht/True Blue, Orange you lovely, Columbine, Garden friends/my favorite, Timmy's Garden (easy, 6 year old)

nikkineel ~ Bible, Fairy

Poisondartfrog ~ Vines/Climbers, witches garden, foliage garden, zinnias

rbrady ~ Red/hummer, interesting foliage, pink/white (low<12"), native trees/shrubs, containers

roflol ~ "Wishful thinking!", steppables (no bee's), Chocolate or Spicy scent, Names: Abby, Adam, Anna, Aaron, Timothy. Okra Red Burgundy, Agastache Apricot Sprite hyssop, Agastache rupestris - Sunset hyssop, Amaranthus caudatus Candelabra -Candelabra Amaranth, Baby Corn, Chilean Glory Vine, any color, yellow coneflower, Salvia - Cambridge Blue,Sensitive Plant - Mimosa Pudica Zaluzianskya capensis - Night Phlox

sandlapper_rose ~ Red/White, windmill (Pink/blue/white), short plts to go in rose garden, Herb, Neopolitan (choc.Straw. Vanilla), Gems & fine Jewels, Tropical, Herb, Angel, Spook-tacular, Veggies

sassybutterfly ~ Bfly, Dragon, fairies, folklore, orange, purple, blue & chocolate, moon, cottage, daylilies & vines, water garden, shade/woodland, odds & ends

shellfreak ~ Bfly, Sunflower, Nature (birds/Iguanas eat!)

stagerat ~ Mostly perennials, Red, True blue, Xeric/Sand (alpines), Fall interest, short (<8"), Fun foliage, heritage, (no columbines), Names: Jill Renee, Brian, Nancy, Scott, John, Lorraine, Annette, Emily, China, Lithuania, France, Belgium, Germany

Sueirish ~ Irish, Celtic, English,Scottish, Welsh. Bfly, Herb/Medicinal

Vic_zns Giant sunflowers

wind_red Herbs, morning glories (yellow, red, white, bi or multi color), purple garden, white garden

o

I have been sitting on the fence about joining this year, I got a lot of fabulous seed last year from generous gardeners, which really helped me replenish my seedbox after last years' seed fiasco (I don't keep seeds in the fridge anymore). But I do have some seeds that will fit with some of these themes so I will try again!

I have two themes in mind for next year

Faux Tropical
Looking for 'over the top' type foliage and flowers that have a 'tropical' look, but can stand dry heat, annuals, perennials, vines whatever. I currently have canna (which is tropical), castor beans, sweetpotato vines, datura, elephant ears. I am looking for things to pull all of this together into a border for my gazebo.

Does this even sound plausible?!?!

Herbs
Do not need culinary herbs, I have everything that I use mostly looking for scents and interesting foliage.

Frances

o

Welcome, Frances, so happy to have you join us.

I actually owe some seeds to Angela (couldn't find them when I did a swap with her) so I will be sending her:

Apelson Tomatoes
Tigrovy Tomatoes
Gold Medal Tomatoes

I am going to start to look through my seed box and see what other gardeners in this swap might like and if I am not sure who would like them, I will put a list here and you can claim them if they are right for your theme. (Of course, I am not going to list everything, I want some to be surprises...)

I have Salvia 'Coral Nymph' if someone wants that. I think there was a very generous trader with this last year because many of us seem to have it. I planted it in front of my shubbery and it did great and is a pretty flower. I have a few packets in my seed box and hope to watch the plants closely enough to harvest more this year.

Will be stopping in frequently to offer some others!

Jeanne

o

Hi All, I haven't checked in here for awhile, and was not going to do this, BUT, I just can't resist! LOL

I would like to add a couple more themes if I may,
I am working on a "fort" for my son, had no luck with the seeds I planted this year (too late in the yr), but I have a trellis type fence up and it has a "door" on one side, that was really part of an old fence we took down. Anyhow, I'm looking for some vines to cover the trellis for his fort, and on the outside of it I'm going to have a fairy/gnome garden (no idea what I'm putting in there yet, lol) I have also decided to try a Tropical garden too, I want to try and ws (indoors) some tropical plants this year to see if it will work. Also anything for hot/dry. I just hope I have something someone else wants!

Laura, I would love a few of your burgandy gallardia
Jeanne, would love a few of your coral nymph too
If no one has spoken for those....

I have some (a few) diff gourds I could send for ghoghunter too.

Thanks for all the enabeling girls!!
And Thanks Jeanne for all the hard work!

Vic

o

Alright, my themes are:

Fairy Wonderland- This bed is lots of fun! I'm wanting some mini roses for this one along with other minis or dwarfs. Not sure if mini roses put off seeds, though. It is part sun/shade

Gnome Home- would really like some seeds/ideas for this one since it's a new bed :P shade/dappled sun

Gargoyle/Gothic - another new bed going in this next year, spawned by some little concrete gargoyles I picked up to decorate for Halloween. My husband suggested a "proper" home for them year round :) Any ideas/ suggestions and seeds are welcome! This will probably be a part sun bed.

Frog Bog- another bed I'm working on. We're going to try to put in some type of moving water feature with still pools. It will be a mostly shade bed to make our boggy friends feel at home!

Hum and Flutter- Hummingbirds and butterflies

Shade Tree... Gardener! (as opposed to the traditional mechanic!)Anything that will grow and hopefully provide color in the shade. The areas where this will go is very barren due to large trees in the neighbor's yard as well as the storage shed shading the other side. It gets very little direct sunlight.

Naughty Garden- This one is for plants, veggies and flowers with naughty names or that just look naughty. I have some things, like Peter Pepper, a wild plants that looks like the "Hairy Balls", Dutchman's Pipe, etc. This is a fun garden and not meant to offend anyone. It's done in my backyard and is framed by a twin metal head and foot boards :)This bed is partial sun/shade.

Then my two sons, ages 11 and 8 each have their own garden beds. They are both very fond of Dusty Miller, dwarf salvia, coleus and dwarf cleosias. Vincent, the older, is also fond of marigolds and just about anything else. Devin likes violas. their garden beds are in the front yard and seen by all that pass by or stop in. They are full sun/ occasional dappled shade. They very much enjoy gardening and are completely responsible for their own beds along with making all decisions as to what goes in them.

And I also have long beds for Day lilies, lilies, iris and cannas. I also have several fences that I'd love to cover with honeysuckle or humming bird attracting/nesting vines.I also do a rather large veggie garden in spring and fall. So, I'm pretty much open for anything :)

I'm working on putting together a list of things I will have to swap. My trade list is horribly out of date.

Kathy

o

oh and forgot to say thanks Maggie for the list!

This will really be helpful!

Frances

o

Great themes, Vic and Kathy. Happy to have you join us for this swap. I hope everyone had a good weekend.
Jeanne

o

Hello, how exciting! My Themes are:
1.Tea Garden-anything to make tea from or to flavor tea.
I'm planting some in teapots,cups. Fountain out of teapots and teacups. Birdhouses from tea kettles.

2.Fall Garden-Flowers that bloom late summer and fall. Heleniums (sneezeweed),phlox,blue mist shrub,asters except purple,turtlehead,Rudbeckia,russian sage,coreopsis ect.

3.Old Timey Medicinal Garden-anything with medicinal properties. licorice,horehound,valarien,ginger,echinacea,mugwort,feverfew ect.

4.Dessert Garden-anything with food and drink name

5.Pink and Yellow Flower Bed

Thank for doing this!!!
Constance

o

Constance, I love your tea theme. Putting the plants in tea cups and pots sounds too cute!

I am having a lot of fun matching up the themes to my seeds!

Okay, so far I have A. aurantiaca Apricot Sprite for Terri, Chocolate Silk JMG for Jeanne and Tinkerbell Nicotiana for Nikki.

Did someone ask specifically for Verbena bonariensis? I thought I saw that, but I have looked back through the posts three times now and can't find it. If it was not my imagination, let me know and I will harvest some.
I can also harvest Salvia coccinea Snow Nymph for Fairy or White gardens if anyone wants it.

I have these packaged if anyone wants to claim them for bee/butterfly gardens:

Agastache foeniculum, Golden Jubilee, 2 packs
Lysimachia punctata, yellow Loosestrife, 3 packs
Cosmos bipannatus, Seashells 3 packs
Cosmos sulphureus, tall bright yellow, 3 packs

o

Alana
I would love some Agastache foeniculum, Golden Jubilee for my herb garden
Frances

o

poisondartfrog ~ Verbena bonariensis is on my 'wish list' but I didn't mention it specifically in here.. I don't think! lol I'd also love love some of your Salvia coccinea Snow Nymph for my moon garden, JMG Chocolate Silk for my Chocolate garden and pumpkin tree for my weird & wonderful one! :) IF they're still available of course! :):) Thankyou!!

~Wendy

o

Vic - I'll tag some burgundy gaillardia for you.

Constance - I got your email and will put your name on the pinks & yellows.

Happy swapping Peeps!
Laura

o

Constance,
Thanks for joining in on our swap. I love your tea garden theme! Sure gives me an idea for future plantings.
Photobucket
I can just see it around my outdoor table and chairs. I already have a camellia that can be used to make tea right near the table. (Have never seen a seed on it though... I'll watch more carefully this year.)
I will try to look through my seeds this week and post some that are up for grabs if anyone in particular wants them. I took a picture of Salvia Coral Nymph over the weekend. I have lots in bloom out there now so hope to have at least 2-3 more packets of seeds to offer. I also have white salvia, a bright pink, and red. I think all three of those are unnamed, but I will look back and see if I had a name when I planted them. Salvia is in full bloom here right now. (Vic, you have a packet of Coral Nymph set aside from you that is from last year so you get it for sure. I had two left over so even if I harvest no seeds this year -unlikely- I know I can send that one to you.)
I think sometimes pictures are slow to load, so if you would like to show pictures of various plants in your garden that you have collected seeds from we can do that, we just may want to switch to a new posting every now and then so there is not so much to load when you open the thread.

Salvia Coral Nymph
Photobucket

I will get the questionnaires and instructions out to everyone by e-mail this week as well. (Not lengthy - just something to help me sort the seeds when they come in.)
Still happy to have more signs ups!

Jeanne

o

Noted, Frances and Wendy.
Still have some available for others.
Alana

o

Poisondartfrog, I think I'm the one who specifically asked for Verbena bonariensis. I hope there's enough for both if us; from what I hear of the plants, there probably is!

Another thought about posting photos on here: if your photo-hosting site offers you the option of posting a THUMBNAIL, it won't slow down the loading of the page very much, and all we have to do is click the photo to see the big version.

Would the people growing gardens for kids want Candy Lily? Mine is medium orange. Anyone who wants some seeds (for any theme), let me know. They're very easy to germinate, and should bloom the second year--mine did.

I need to revise my trade page; all my commercial seeds are one year older than indicated on there, plus I have new things to add. If anyone wants to request something from there, just send me an email!

o

Stage_rat ~ if you were first to request, I don't mind! If she has any left at all, that's fine by me :)

I'm interested in the following of yours Stage_rat:
Amazon Chocolate - for my choc garden
Nicotiana "Tinkerbell." - for my fairy/shade garden
Double pink opium poppy - for my orange garden
Silene armeria - also for orange garden
Alba flabellate - for my moon garden
Feverfew double - for my herb garden
Oranges & Lemons - for my orange garden
Rattlesnake Master - for my weird & wonderful garden
Brown habanero chocolate - for my choc garden

I'll be updating my list before this swap gets finalized and will be adding lots more, feel free to take a look. :)

Thanks!
~Wendy

o

I have enough for both of you.
I also have several packs of Salvia subrotunda (red, hummer gardens) if anyone wants.
Alana

o

Hi Jeanne,

I would love to join this swap. My themes are:

Herb garden

Fall harvest garden - anything that could be used for
fall decorating like gourds, ornamental corn, pumpkins (large & small), etc.

Thanks for doing this Jeanne.

Karen

o

hello
well I don't want to request too many seeds becouse I like surprises, but..... I love alllll salvias. hint. hint.

I will be out of town from sunday 6th to monday the 14th so if you send the Q'air after that, I will get it back to you when we get back.

such great themes, I just love making up little packets for everyone, it is like a warmup for picking christmas gifts.

have a great evening everyone
michelle

o

Hi Jeanne...thanks for taking this great swap over! I am really glad to sign up for this one!! Drippy - I'm glad to see you're participating - hope you sell your home soon.

My theme gardens are:

Camo Garden - Any flowers that would fall in the range of green, brown, chocolate, black, white...etc.

Patriotic Garden - Red, White and Blue

Zinnia Garden - I love all types, sizes and Colors - especially the Bi-Colored Ones.

Thanks so much for hosting this swap Jeanne! - Lisa

o

Jeanne, may I add one more theme to my list? It would be a very special theme and would take priority over the ones I listed above.

I would like to have a "GW Member's Favorite Seed" Theme Garden...in commemorative to all the nice people I have met here. I think this is a garden that could really grow in size as time goes on!

If you would like to send me one of your favorite seed varieties, I only hope that you would note who it is from. Thanks! - Lisa

o

Lisa, what a nice idea about a GW Member's Favorite Seed Theme. Thanks for making us feel special - and welcome to the swap, Lisa and Karen. I sure hope I got an individual welcome in here somewhere to everyone who is joining in. We are taking sign ups all the way until Oct. 20th, but of course, the sooner you get your themes listed, the more time these gardeners will have to scour their seed boxes to pull things out for you! LOL

So far we have:
sandlapper_rose (me)
micyrey
booberry85
ghoghunter
poisondartfrog
nikkineel
wind-red
brifl
rbrady
stage_rat
babcia
suecirish
roflol
laura_from_hamilton
grovespirit
etravia
andreaB
nikkined
shellfreak
vic_zn5
flowers1
sassyutterfly_2008
drippy
jaleeisa
angelady
fcoccill
gingerbreadgirl
sunset_in
lisam627_ohio_z6

stage-rat, I will see if I can figure out the thumbnail part of the photo site. If not, I can start a separate thread for plant pictures if you want people to see what the "momma plant" looks like.
I harvested a good quantity of 3 types of seeds from my garden today. They will match some themes so I think I will just keep them a surprise! LOL

Jeanne

o

Hello everyone! Thanks to all of you wonderful people here at GW my gardens were beautiful this year. This was one of my favorite swaps last year so I would really love to join this swap.
After having a wonderful summer watching the birds, butterflies and our first hummers I have changed my entire gardening focus!!!! Forget pastels!!! Also due to the economy I am going to start growing more things in my yard for us to eat.
My themes are:

Salvias!!! I love them. They are so easy to grow and hummers love them. Did I mention I love them.

Sunflowers!!!! I love them almost as much as the goldfinches. I would love to have any reds, rusts, oranges, browns, black oil.

Hummer flowers!!! It was so thrilling to have these in our yard this year. I listened to what you here at GW said plant to draw the hummers and it worked!! Thank you so much!!!

Birds/butterflies!! It was such a rewarding summer after all the hard work and then sitting back and watching all the birds!! You said if you plant it they will come-and they did. (My goal next year is cedar waxwings)

Vines/climbers!!!

Veggies/herbs for human use. I want to cut our grocery bill and grow organic veggies and herbs in my yard.
I would love a few plum tomato seeds (for salsa), basil, etc if anyone has some that would be great.

I have an excess of bronze fennel seeds, red hummingbird salvia, some coral nymph salvia, purple rain salvia?, hyacinth bean seeds, nicotiana, and milkweed seeds if anyone wants them.

Thanks again. jenny.

o

Jenny ~ I would LOVE some of the hyacinth bean vine and the purple & red salvia. I def have some of your 'wishes' I can send for you :)

Lisa ~ A camo garden! My son would love that idea! :)

~Wendy

o

Jenny,
Glad to have you joining us again. I love salvias and sunflowers, too, and you can bet I will be sharing some of those. I'm with you on the veggies and herbs, too. Unfortunately, I have to grow most of my veggies in containers and especially with the hot, dry summers we have been getting, I am not harvesting a lot. I think I got 3 tiny cucumbers so far this year... did a little better on my green beans, and a few tomatoes every few days, but nothng to brag about. My red popper peppers have done pretty well. I'll be planting them again. Lately, I am outside watching for seeds to reach the right stage so I can harvest them.
I need to send out the instructions and questionnaires soon because it seems like every time I get on here I think of something else to mention - to those who are newer to seed saving I am going to put myself out on a limb here and say don't be too worried about whether your seeds contain chaff or not. Heck, some of us don't know the seeds from the chaff and if you don't know, don't take a chance on separating them to the extent that you throw the seed away. LOL For those who are meticulous in separating out the chaff, that is fine, too. I just don't want newbies to be intimidated. I have found this to be a good site to go to trying to identify the seed that you are looking for when you gather from many plants in the fall. I hope it's okay to post this here.
http://theseedsite.co.uk/db2.html
Happy gathering (or buying - hopefully at discount) for now and happy gardening later!
Jeanne

o

Hello everyone!
Poisondartfrog, I would love some of your salvia snow nymph for my white garden :)

Here is a new updated list:

9/30/08 ADDED: Fcoffil, Jaleeisa, Gingerbreadgirl, Sunset_in, Lisam627_ohio_Z6, Cottageflowers. CHANGED: Booberry85

Andreab ~ Blue/Dk Purple, Hummer/Bfly, Childrens (animal, orange/yellow)

angelady ~ Flowering vines, edible berries (any fruit), unusual veggies/herbs

babcia ~ Red, blue

booberry85 ~ Dr Seuss (veggies & flowers), purple (veggies & flowers), witch/alchemist (herb), Hot/Sun ("sun, hot, blazing" in name or yellow or red veggies & flowers), autumn harvest (veggies & flowers)

bri_fly ~ Love

Cottageflowers ~ Salvias, Sunflowers, Hummer/Bird/Bfly, Vines/Climbers, Veggie/herb (plum tomatoes, basil)

drippy ~ Kings, queens, royal court, English, praise, SC Natives, ocean, music, herb, everlastings, gemstone, astrology/astronomy

etravia ~ Herbs, zinnias, white (moon garden)

Fcoffil ~ "Faux Tropical" 'over the top' foliage & flowers with 'tropical' look, but can stand dry heat, annuals, perennials, vines whatever. Has canna (which is tropical), castor beans, sweetpotato vines, datura, elephant ears. Herbs, scent & foliage, has culinary

flower1 ~ Container (low), columbines, daisy (not white or yellow), clematis

ghoghunter ~ Birds/bfly, natives, climbing, veggies, red, gourds galore

gingerbreadgirl ~ Tea Garden (to make or flavor tea), Fall, late bloomers, Old timey medicinal, Sessert Garden (food or drink names), Pink & yellow garden

grovespirit ~ Fairytale (annual< 14"), small space edible flowers, herbs, asian

jaleeisa ~ Fairy Wonderland, Miniatures/dwarfs (roses & any other), Gnome Home, Gargoyle/Gothice, Frog Bog, Hum & Flutter, Shade Tree Gardener, Naughty Garden (name or look), Sons Gardens (11 & 8), Daylilies, lilies, iris, cannas, vines for hummers, veggies

laura_from_hamilton ~ "Katies special" Anything special or named Katie, Beauty in shade, Heuchera, Tiarella, Coral Bells

Lisam627_ohio_Z6 ~ Camo (green, brown, chocolate, black, white), Patriotic (R/W/B), Zinnias, GW Member Favorite Seeds

micrey ~ Hummer, Purple/Yellow bfly, Red/Wht/True Blue, Orange you lovely, Columbine, Garden friends/my favorite, Timmy's Garden (easy, 6 year old)

nikkineel ~ Bible, Fairy

Poisondartfrog ~ Vines/Climbers, witches garden, foliage garden, zinnias
rbrady ~ Red/hummer, interesting foliage, pink/white (low<12"), native trees/shrubs, containers

roflol ~ "Wishful thinking!", steppables (no bee's), Chocolate or Spicy scent, Names: Abby, Adam, Anna, Aaron, Timothy. Okra Red Burgundy, Agastache Apricot Sprite hyssop, Agastache rupestris - Sunset hyssop, Amaranthus caudatus Candelabra -Candelabra Amaranth, Baby Corn, Chilean Glory Vine, any color, yellow coneflower, Salvia - Cambridge Blue,Sensitive Plant - Mimosa Pudica Zaluzianskya capensis - Night Phlox

sandlapper_rose ~ Red/White, windmill (Pink/blue/white), short plts to go in rose garden, Herb, Neopolitan (choc.Straw. Vanilla), Gems & fine Jewels, Tropical, Herb, Angel, Spook-tacular, Veggies

sassybutterfly ~ Bfly, Dragon, fairies, folklore, orange, purple, blue & chocolate, moon, cottage, daylilies & vines, water garden, shade/woodland, odds & ends

shellfreak ~ Bfly, Sunflower, Nature (birds/Iguanas eat!)

stagerat ~ Mostly perennials, Red, True blue, Xeric/Sand (alpines), Fall interest, short (<8"), Fun foliage, heritage, (no columbines), Names: Jill Renee, Brian, Nancy, Scott, John, Lorraine, Annette, Emily, China, Lithuania, France, Belgium, Germany

Sunset_in ~ Herbs, Fall harvest (decoration)

Sueirish ~ Irish, Celtic, English,Scottish, Welsh. Bfly, Herb/Medicinal

Vic_zns Giant sunflowers, vines for sons fort, fairy/gnome, tropical, hot/dry.

wind_red Herbs, morning glories (yellow, red, white, bi or multi color), purple garden, white garden

Hope this helps everyone! Let me know of any errors, or if you want anything added. This is going to be a great swap! Thank you Jeanne for hosting. Your going to have sooo many seed packs come in!!!!!
Maggie

o

Girls, thanks for the seeds!

Stage-rat, I would love a few of your candy lily seeds.

Jenny, I would also love to try some of your milkweed for the butterflies.

Also, I guess I said it wrong, I'm making a giant (as in very large) sunflower bed, any size flowers are fine.

I also just got a very generous envie of seeds from floodthelast, there are a lot of veggies, I thought she was sending opened packs she didn't use all of, but she sent NEW packs. I'm sure I don't need full packs of everything, so I can pack some up for the swap! I also got several diff packs of yellow sunflowers, so I don't need a lot of those and you can send them to the other girls.

Jeanne, is it easier for you if we post here what we have before we send them to you, it will be a little bit before I have all these sorted, but don't have a problem with it.

Night Girls!
Vic

o

Thanks so much for the help with the list. I am sure everyone is very grateful with how much easier that makes it to look at everyone's themes at once.

☻ Thank you ☺ Thank you ☻ Thank you! ☺

~Angela

o

I'm new to the round robin forum but I would LOOOOVE to join in!!!! My list is
FRAGRANT GARDEN- anything and everything that smells good!
SHADE FOLIAGE PLANTS- have a lot of shade here at home
HUMMINGBIRD AND BUTTERFLIES plants - anything that these beautines might like :)
FALL GARDEN - anything that flowers in fall. I'm seriously lacking fall appeal :(
and finally, I would love a RED GARDEN. I'm hoping to have a beautiful garden like gattagarden someday (wishful thinking, I know)

o

I would love some salvia coral nymph, or snow nymph seeds. A nymph is a type of fairy, so that fits my fairy tale theme! :)

And Cosmos "Little Princess" is perfect for the fairy tale theme too, so I'd like that. :)

o

Ohohohoh! I saw something I REALLY, REALLY want today. I was bulb shopping and they had some Black Mondo Grass that would work wonderfully in my gothic garden! Does anyone happen to have any? I would very happily work out a seperate trade, or send something special in this swap earmarked for anyone that has it!

Kathy

o

Hi, I would like to join in this swap. I think hummingbird garden and herb garden would be some themes I would like to start with. This is only my second year at winter sowing and collecting seeds so I don't know how many I have to contribute. Is the idea of this swap to look at everyone's list and try to send in as many as you can match up? I've copied the latest list there that someone posted-thank you for doing that!Is there anything else I need to do to sign up? Thanks. Isamae

o

Welcome, mommyto2 and isamae. All you have to do to join in is post here and send your seeds that you want to share to me by the end of the month with stamps or some way for me to provide the return postage. Do not send metered labels. Apparently they cannot be used as drippy found out when she did this last year. I will be sending a few instructions and a form to fill out to you by e-mail. Most of it has probaby been posted here somewhere, but just to put it all in one place. Anyway, I will gather the few rules together and get them to you very soon. For some reason, this week has turned out to be pretty hectic, but I have most of this thought out, just to get it typed out and sent.
I think Vic asked about this. Totally fine with me if you want to post seeds and see if someone in particular wants them so you can label them or bunch them together. However, I think it would be nice to have some surpises as well. So, hopefully some of both. Keep in mind that I may end up with 10 packets of Coral Nymph Salvias being sent in for 2 people so if that happens, I will see who has a theme that seems to indicate they can use them and split them up as needed. (Just an example.) I have not posted many of the seeds I have gathered because I think once the packets come to me I can see what is needed in addition to what has been sent and fill in where needed. I will also have a place on the form where you can indicate some seeds you do not want so if you don't want veggies, I will know not to send them. (Again, just an example.)
Maggie, thanks once again for keeping the participants and their themes posted in one place. I'm sure that is making it easier for all of us.
Kathy, I have never seen seeds on black mondo grass, but that doesn't mean it never happens. I am a victim of hot and dry summers so sometimes the plants don't like that a bit!
Hope you have a good weekend ahead!
Jeanne

o

I already have 2 themes but I'd like to add one more... I love the idea of a fragrant garden. I love plants that smell good. Is it too late to add just one more? That will be bible, fairy, and fragrant gardens for me. Ok - I'll stop now.... Nikki

o

Grovespirit, I have marked a packet of Cosmos "Little Princess" for you.
Sue

o

Is anyone interested in hollyhocks??? If not, I won't bother putting them in. I have some white, and mixed.

o

Vic, I'm planning on trying some hollyhock next year. I know they don't exactly fit any of my themes. My Mom loves them, though. I plant her flower beds every year.

o

Well bummer - I have even been collecting special seeds just for this swap all summer. But it is 2 1/2 months earlier than last year (too early for me to have time for it)and I don't care for the new limits/rules so I guess I'll pass. I enjoyed last year (thanks Drippy and everyone who sent me seeds) and was looking forward to this year. Oh well, ya'll have fun. jase

o

Plantaholics, I'm sorry this didn't turn out the way you had planned. Maybe drippy will be back to do this swap the same way as in the past next time. If you change your mind, we will be happy to have you join in.

I have a questionnaire and instruction sheet ready for the participants. I am going to start to e-mail them this evening but not all will get mailed out today. I will continue with them through the weekend, but if you don't have them by Monday (or can't read what is sent - I am sending them as a Word document), get in touch with me. Okay?
Once you get everything, follow the instructions and you can start to send seeds whenever you are ready.
Hope we all have lots of fun. The nicest people seem to participate in this swap!!!
Jeanne

o

Ok boo! I'll put some in! And I still have more....

Thanks Jeanne! I don't have mine ready yet, that was on my to do list for today but.........lol
I can only imagine the work that goes into one of these swaps! We really appreciate it!

Vic

o

Thanks so much Vic!

o

This is getting a bit slow to load so I am going to start a "continuation" on a new thread. Come to look for us there!
Jeanne

o

For those that want to refer to the new thread for more details on this swap:

Part 2: Theme Garden Seed Swap

~Angela

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here