Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
NEW: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list (group maintained)

Posted by kilngod 6 KY (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 7:38

This is a variation of the adopt-a-newbie formally arranged swap. At some point in the past I think this version was done at least once (maybe by accident, but it worked nicely), and a few folks helped keep the newbie list maintained. I'm hoping that we can make that work again.

These adoptions are for seeds primarily (though can include plants too during the appropriate season for that zone).

Costs to the Newbie:
--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie included by the veteran)
--"plants too"; needs to be Priority Mail; can run from about $5 to $14; can be done by check via mail or by easier/faster paypal.

Newbies:
--make sure your email address shows on your member page (see link below)
--make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything helps someone match to you)
--include your zone & state.

Helpful veterans and I:
--will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.
--to make things go bold, post < b > before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and < / b > after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list.

Traders who want to adopt-a-newbie:
--POSTING HERE and announce who you are adopting.
--email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offering the adopt.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:
--check back here to see that the adopter has posted here. (I do not recommend engaging in a trade-sponsor with someone who has emailed you but not posted here on this thread. This is for your safety.)
--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you (for protection; this is also why it is required for the adopter to post here not just contact you). This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/
Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.
--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details with the veteran. (At this point, that usualy means them offering things to send, and indicating about how much postage that will cost, and how you should send that postage.)
--send them the postage for what they're gifting.
--after receiving the package, thank them & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).

Current Newbies to be Adopted:
(left over, late sign ons from that last adopt thread)

ohiovalleygardener 5/6 (OH)
sharon5840 z6b Southeast MO
nuttnhunee 5a (unk)

--Tina

Here is a link that might be useful: Newbie Member Pages Assistance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list (group maintained)

(left over, late sign ons from that last adopt thread)

ohiovalleygardener z5/6 OH
nuttnhunee z5a (unk)
celeegra z6 NYC

o
RE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list

I will adopt

ohiovalleygardener z5/6 OH

as I have things from her list, I'm near her, and think she may have even come to the Louisville swap, or wanted to.

--Tina / kilngod

o
RE: Adopt-A-Newbie

nuttnhunee z5a (unk)
celeegra z6 NYC

o

Tina,

I just packed a large newbie package. It has 70 different varieties of seeds. I think that I would like to adopt celeegra.

Celeegra, You have been adopted! Please drop me a line so I can give you my addy...

Lisa

o

I have things on her list! I will adopt sharon5840 z6b Southeast MO. She can contact me for more info. How cool! Gayla

o

I am a newbie gardener.I have received seeds from some generous members on this forum.I moved to a new house so have to start all new.I would like some help.

o

Noob Sighting! <-- points at self

I'm a bit of a challenge; in more ways than I want to count - embarking upon the challenge of growing plants for my tummy to feast upon rather than growing plants for my eyes to feast upon.

The biggest challenge? The oak trees, the shade, and creating and maintaining a veggie garden with curb appeal. Best site for veggies? The front yard, near the street. Go figure.

I would love to be adopted by a veteran!

For more insight into a g'imp puttering under the oaks; and to see some pictures of the growing environment; you can check out my online journal if you wish.

Thanks for taking a moment to consider me.

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Journal

o

Hi, all! I would adopt a newbie from a zone that my seeds will do well in, i.e., from Z3 thru Z5. Hopefully, you know what this means...

o

sharon5840 z6b Southeast MO (adoption in process - aquawise)
celeegra z6 NYC (adoption in process - ishareflowers)
nuttnhunee z5a (unk; on list regardless of state as leftover from the other swap)

------------

gardengimp - We can put you on the list once you make your email address visible to members. See directions/link above regarding this.

ckap - We can put you on the list once you indicate your state, then we can put you on the list. (You can even see directions/link above regarding how to make that show up in your posting tagline.)

***Elvis, if you'd like to adopt the z5 person listed, just post their info and that you are adopting them, or just hold off until a true z3 or z4 arrives. This is a "self serve" list :)

Good, we're getting going. Nice!

o

ckap -

Also read through the info at the very top of the thread. You'll need to list things on your want list -- so a veteran knows if they have some things that you are interested in, and can help you; you can even describe the growing location - sun? woodland?, shady, rocky soil, etc. (some tips are at the top about this)

o

Umm, I'm curious? I've got my email address linked, but why must it be made visible? I can still be reached by email but have a bit more privacy with GW initiating the first contact. What is gained by making it visible in this format versus a straight seed exchange that just has your email (initially) through the GW form?

~dianne

o

Because GW email is unreliable. There are many traders who won't deal with newbies who can't be reached through direct email because of this.

If you look at the link above, you can set it so that "members only" can see your email. You don't need to choose "the whole world' option, and I recommend that you don't.

o

"Because GW email is unreliable. There are many traders who won't deal with newbies who can't be reached through direct email because of this."

That would be an excellent reason. I read the link above, but missed that unreliable part.

Fixed.

~dianne

o

nuttnhunee zone5a MI
gardengimp zone9B Florida
ckap zone9a TX

---
Adoptions in process:
sharon5840 z6b Southeast MO (aquawise)
celeegra z6 NYC (ishareflowers)
----

(Excellent fixes, Newbies!)

o

Tina,

celeegra adoption has been sealed! The seeds are going out in the morning.

Lisa

o

sharon5840 z6b Southeast MO (aquawise) She is Adopted.

o

I'm a newbie. I just joined the winter sowing swap as a newbie too, so not sure if I'm allowed to be a newbie on here. :P

8a Texas

o

nuttnhunee zone 5a MI
gardengimp zone 9B Florida
ckap zone 9a TX
manda3 zone 8a TX
---

Adoptions in process:

---

(manda3, that is a-ok!)

o

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWBIE ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Southern Wisconsin but I'm trying indoor gardening this winter. ;)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Since ckaps gardens are all full sun, I can surely help her out. I will adopt her if that is o k. I've never adopted a newbie but would love to help out. I certainly have enough seeds for it.

Margo

o

sundog2010, I can help you...

If I can grow it here, you can grow it down there! Email me if you're game~~

o

Tina,

I emailed celeegra on Wednesday to ask if she had gotten her package... I guess this is the begining of slow mail, eight days to go practically next door! this was her response.

I did get them last night. WOW!
I can't thank you enough. It was such a treat to go through. I realize that there are so many plants that I don't know and your packet gives me a project for the winter - to get to know all the seeds you gave me so that I can plan for the spring.
I just moved into a garden apt this past spring and wanted to see what would come up before I went in & rearranged everything. My gardening was so haphazard and spontaneous based on how frustrated I was with the gazillion tawny daylilies that kept cropping up everywhere or on what took my fancy at the local nurseries or home depot.
Now I have some time & resources to plan what I want.
Thanks again so much! I will definitely be sure to pass it on with my own seeds to some newbie down the line.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
I really do have a lot to be thankful for this year.
Warm wishes
Grace

I think we can call this one sealed!

Lisa/ishare

o

Since Nuttnhunee is in my zone, it would probably be a better decision to adopt her rather than ckap.

I will be sending Nuttnhunee an email soon.

Margo

o

ckap zone 9a TX
manda3 zone 8a TX

---

Adoptions in process:

nuttnhunee zone 5a MI
sundog2010 zone 5a WI

---

*Elvis & other Veterans, you email your newbie after you post.

(This is why I required that they have their addy visible to members. If you wait for them to contact you, that requires that they find this thread again....which they might not be able to do, and won't think they have to because directions at top say the veteran will email them. Elvis, I'm emailing you this note now too in case he doesn't come back for a while too.)

o

nuttnhunee contacted and adopted. Package is in the works.

Margo

o

I'm a newbie with dry, alkaline soil (and precious little of it over the limestone bedrock). Is there a veteran with experience gardening under drought restrictions who would be willing to share some of the seeds that have worked best for them?

I should also mention that we have deer nibblers to contend with...

o

I will adopt both

ckap zone 9a TX
manda3 zone 8a TX

since they are in my neck of the woods.

Betsy

o

I think sundog2010 accepts me as her adoptive parent...

o

Can I be adopted?? :-) Who's classified as a newbie?

Em

o

hostarookie zone 6 WV

---

Adoptions in process:
ckap zone 9a TX
manda3 zone 8a TX

Em, anyone who thinks they are. Since this is self-serve, if an particular adopter doesn't think you are new enough, they just adopt someone else. You are on the list.

o

Definately, elvis! I'm on the way!

o

My package just hit the post office for nuttnhunee. It should pretty well keep her busy this next spring. :)

Smitties

o

Excellent, Smitties! Nicely done, nicely done.

o

Hi. I am a newbie to the site as well as a relative newbie to gardening as well. I'd be interested in the this. I have seeds left over from the summer, but not enough to trade. thanks
Lea

o

• Posted by manda3 8a DFW Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 15, 10 at 11:31

I got my seeds! Very excited!

o

Since I'm in N.E. Ohio too, I'll take lea in neo.

You haven't given your e-mail address so you'll need to e-mail me. Include ''Garden Web or 'Adopt a Newbie' in the subject so I can find it in my junk mail.

mao

o

hostarookie zone 6 WV

---

Adoptions in process:
ckap zone 9a TX (piksi_hk)
lea_in_neo zone 6 N.E. OH (mao_tse_mom)

o

hostarookie zone 6 WV

---

Adoptions in process:

& lea_in_neo zone 6 N.E. OH (mao_tse_mom)* only if lea changes her email status to "show to members" so we can see it. Follow the link at the top of this thread to a Newbie Issues thread. Read there to fix your email. Mao, please don't actually adopt her until she does this, even if she emails you. It's a requirement listed at the start of this thread. Thanks!

o

Just wanted to make sure I didn't get lost in the flurry of posts above; I know it will probably be a while before anyone comes along who has experience with the challenges my area offers.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the window into seed sharing that this thread provides.

o

Dear deergarden :) Sorry I missed you! You need to get your "email showing" sorted out as well before we can put you up for adoption.

It's kinda like getting all your shots.

o

I'm a newbie and would like to participate. I realize that my email isn't showing, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've tried to make it show, but every time I try it an error page comes up. I've emailed the site about it, so hopefully they can fix it. Would it be alright if I just posted my email address in another post on this thread? I live in Zone 5b/6a in Arizona.

o

A big thank you to Smitties for my adoption. What a wonderful selection.

o

azmountains_gardener & deergarden,

Check this link and go through those steps methodically for the email fix. If it still doesn't work -- post to that thread there and id which parts you're doing and when it seems to "go wrong", etc.

Someone will get you through it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newbie EmailShowing Assistance & More

o

Im a newbie. I love any kind of flower seeds.

o

Hello Wrenhouse,
I am in Southern Maine which is Zone 5/4, I have lots of flower seeds, do you plan on winter sowing?

o

Newbies with email member page problems, you now have company. My member page has disappeared, along with my email settings, and it won't accept my changes. If you get this same wierd response once you hit "save", contact the admins ("contact us" link is at bottom of the pages here) and let them know so they can fix it.

My glitch looks like this after I hit save:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

(....and then a bunch of html code with << stuff all over it.)

o

I'm a newbie and would like to participate. I moved into a new place with lots of land. If anybody can help me out that would be great. Love Flowers.

Jennifer

o

Has azmountain_gardener been adopted yet?
Who else is still waiting?
Bethb

o

I'm zone 9B, California, and I'm willing to adopt someone. I have mostly arid southwest plants, but could come up with some semi-tropicals. Is there an appropriate newbie for me?
Dee

o

hostarookie zone 6 WV
wrenhouse10 zone 5 (state unknown - please list***, z5 AZ is different than z5 ME)
jshipway zone 6 (state unknown - please list***, z5 AZ is different than z5 ME)
---

Adoptions in process:

*Veterans - just claim a newbie and email them to get it started. It's good to adopt someone from near your zone and location type for best help.

(asmountain doesn't have email listed yet, she/he'll have to wait til that gets sorted, just means adoption later on instead of now. Please do any direct adoption communication/arranging off thread or it gets jumbled here as to who is adopted, who not, etc. and is harder to compile lists on our end.)

o

I'm a newbie in central Ohio and just got interested in saving heirloom seeds. Have only saved a couple of kinds of lettuce, beans and pepper seeds from year to year -- but grow and am interested in all sorts of vegetables. Will list the general categories (I am familiar with) on the member page.

o

my state is MD

o

• Posted by Nis941 9, FL- Sarasota (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 26, 10 at 19:31

I am a newbie and would like to be adopted. I am working on a cottage garden and a shade/fern garden. Since I am new I do not have many seeds/plants for trade but I do have some and will have more in the future. Advice is also greatly appreciated.

o

I should have posted sooner but have been busy, wrenhouse and I have communicated and we are figuring out what she needs and what I can send her. Basically, I am adopting her. Thanks for keeping this going.

o

Hi All,

I was adopted by Aquawise and already received my seeds. I had forgot to post letting everyone know. Thanks so my Aquawise.

Sharon

o

hi everyone im in zone 5,I was a member hear a few years back but had to start all over I love to grow anything and everything have a few flower seeds to trade.I want to grow veggies,flowers for the butterflys,hostas and want to learn more about winter sowing thats so cool!!I need advice on pond plants for shaded area.thanks Angela

o

I'm a newbie that will be relocating from the big city to a patch of farm in deep SW MI by spring, and I am in serious need of, well, pretty much the whole garden. My list has most of my faves, especially winter squash and drying beans, but I am up for trying pretty much any type of garden goodie.

Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: my page

o

hello I am Beth and I have lots to share,, caring, knowledge, but still learning and would love to have a caring adoptee choose me,, you will find so much , much , more than just a casual seed swapper in Me,, ;)Im in for the long true friendship or the durations of good and hard times ,, ,, and a happy new year of planting to all of you,,Blessings,,Beth :)

o

Hello All!
I am a newbie looking for adoption. I have about 100 sq for lush garden grounds to work with near Providence, RI. I am very excited about this upcoming season and hope to feed my family with the vegetables I grow in my backyard. I am open to trying just about anything. Thanks!

o

wren1 zone 5 (unknown state - please post) (special interests: veggies,flowers for butterflies, hostas, pond plants for shaded area, winter sowing)
dciolek zone 5B OH (special interests: veggies, heirloom veggies)
BeesNeeds zone 5 deep SW MI (special interests: veggies+)
hostarookie zone 6 WV (varied interests)
jshipway zone 6 MD (special interests: flowers)
HoHumHollow zone 6A RI (special interests: veggies+)
gardengimp zone 9B Florida (special interests: curb appeal veggie gardening, shade)
Nis941 zone 9 FL/Sarasota (special interests: cottage garden & shade/fern garden)

---

Adoptions in process:
wrenhouse10 zone 5 (diene)

*beth se michigan -- post again please. For some reason your screen name is not lit up, and we can't click to get to your member page to see your wants and such. We'll need to get that sorted first. And also confirm that you want to be adopted (or if you are trying to adopt/sponsor someone yourself). Thanks!

**domehome -- you might check into gardengimp or Nis941. Maybe there are clues in their member page to let you know if they're kinda in "your groove" of gardening.

***I've listed some general bits of newbies' interests to help you consider matches, but still look at their member page and want/have lists to see in more detail.

Congrats to sharon5840 z6b Southeast MO & Aquawise for a great adoption!

o

I have emailed both BeesNeed's and HoHumHollow about adopting them. I have many of the seeds they want.

Don

o

hi I live in the middle of Illinois really lucky have great soil,lots of sun but mild alot of the time.thanks Angela

o

Horray! I accepted dem pas email and sponsorship.. Not sure if I was supposed to before it was offically announced here, but he did post here already, so I hope it's ok.

o

Dem_Pa has gracioudly offered to adopt me. Thank you to everyone who helps out here. For us newbies, it is greatly appreciated.

o

wanted to post on here, but have been trying for 2 days to update my profile to allow e-mail, and also to list what seeds I am interested in.. just keep getting error messages? anyone have a suggestion to help? Thanks so much! I have always been a "buy the plant" girl, but really would like to try and start from seed some things this year. Thanks!

o

I will contact Wren1 and adopt her. I had such fun helping out nuttnhunee, I would enjoy adopting another new gardener.

Margo

o

Heard from Angela (Wren1) and adoption is now in progress.

Happy New Year. Margo

o

jshipway zone 6 MD (special interests: flowers)
gardengimp zone 9B Florida (special interests: curb appeal veggie gardening, shade)
Nis941 zone 9 FL/Sarasota (special interests: cottage garden & shade/fern garden)

*sunshinenc zone 7 NC
*azmountains_gardener zone 5b/6a AZ

---
*Since technical problems with the website are still going on (my page too, they are working on a fix). Until GW get's this glitch fixed, how about this: If someone wants to adopt these members, do so by:
Posting here,
Then that newbie has to contact the adopter,
Then the adopter posts here to confirm "it's a go".
&/or Newbies (please, only those where the site is downright rejecting your member page corrections) -- you can also list your email like this, here in a post:
"name at whatever dot com" (not like a normal email, so the internet robots can't harvest it), and we'll list it with your name on the list then.

Either way, let us know if someone gets adopted so we can pull the name off the list and onto the "in process" list.

---

Adoptions in process:
wren1 zone 5, Central IL (smitties)
HoHumHollow zone 6A RI (dem_pa)
BeesNeeds zone 5 deep SW MI (dem_pa)

----

Nicely done, folks!!
***beth se michigan zone f ??? (please post a regular 2-10 zone too, & a state & if you are up for adoption or are a veteran wanting to adopt someone.

o

a i dont have a clue what you meant about not lite up? i dont know anything at all about computers,, pics, postings,, do the best i can for 55 plus and injured,, i see i got personal email in trouble too, i dont know even what it meants about me doing thngs wrong,, i am very sorry, i really am, thanks for any help, i dont know what you all mean, i can adopt if you need me too but i have already been adopted and im so happy followed all the requirements or so I thought,, thanks ,, Beth adn thank you for adopting me aquawise, you are making my life so much happier here and helpful too, blessings, Beth

o

You are welcome Beth. Don,t fret we are all new at this sometime. You are ok. I got ya covered. Just ask me and I will help you through it. PM me from now on.

o

I just sent a message to Nis941, I would like to adopt this person. Waiting for this person to email me back.

Cindy

o

I'll take jshipway. I'm in AZ but lived in MD for years,so I am comfortable with stuff for there.
bethb

o

Thanks Bethb For adopting me. It will help me out.

Jennifer

o

so i have been reading on the winter sow forum. anyway i was thinking of winter sowing some seeds. I would like veggies, hosta seed, rose seed, gourd seed, pumpkin seed, those kind of things. If anyone would be willing to adopt me ;)please let me know. I will return the favor as i start saving more seeds. thanks for the consideration. merry christmas and god bless you and yours :).

o

Per kilngod's last post, I'll post my email address here since I am unable to do it by the regular means due to technical issues.

My address is rsolomon88 @ yahoo .com (minus the spaces).

Just in case the website won't let that appear, my address is rsolomon88 at yahoo dot com.

o

Is there a time limit for being a "Newbie"?

o

Doing a great job everyone!
Beth, it's a-ok. You're all set with aquawise - she's wonderful.
BethKodiak - "newbie" is flexible. I was a member for a year or two officially before I actually become active here. Sadly, I didn't qualify then for a lot of the newbie things, so I am broad about what newbie means myself. The adopter has the choice not to adopt someone if they think someone isn't new enough for their tastes. Folks can search for a screenname on GW and see how much a person has been active/trading if preferred.

azmountains_gardener zone 5b/6a AZ (special interests: flowers/herbs/veggies)
ymaddox zone 6 (state unknown, please post)(special interests: veggies/hosta/roses/gourds)

*sunshinenc zone 7 NC

*Since technical problems with the website are still going on (my page too, they are working on a fix). Until GW get's this glitch fixed, how about this: If someone wants to adopt sunshinenc, do so by:
Posting here,
Then that newbie has to contact the adopter,
Then the adopter posts here to confirm "it's a go".

& Newbies (please, only those where the site is downright rejecting your member page corrections) -- you can also list your email like this, here in a post:
"name at whatever dot com" (not like a normal email, so the internet robots can't harvest it), and we'll list it with your name on the list then.

Either way, let us know if someone gets adopted so we can pull the name off the list and onto the "in process" list.

---

Adoptions in process:
bhscarlett (aquawise)
jshipway zone 6 MD (beth_b_kodiak)
Nis941 zone 9 FL/Sarasota (alwaysagarden)

----

o

I'm not sure how this will sound -- but its probably appropriate for me to withdraw my name from the Newbie list.

You see I am about a week new to this forum and have very little to trade, so I figured myself a Newbie and qualified for this listing. But after I posted ONE offer for horseradish root -- I had three trades arranged within a day that wiped me out of stock and sent me back to the garden to dig for more. Another two trades and I don't have any more root to spare -- but I am LOADED with seeds on their way. This is an incredible thing you guys have going here -- a few trips to the post office and I can throw away my seed catalogs!

It wouldn't be right for me to take any more when the generous people from this forum have already been so gracious to trade with a new name like me. Thanks -- and I look forward to trading with more folks next year when I actually have something more to share.

o

beth if you are referring to me i have been signed up awhile but was not even on the internet for over a year, r/t a family illness. so if i am breaking rules i am sorry, i have never traded seeds on here, although a few nice people on ws forum is sending me some hosta seed and a few other things and i have ordered off ebay, so i will gracefully withdrawl my name as well and if i have broken any rules i am sorry was not my intention in any way shape or form.

o

Nope, ymaddox, you're not breaking any rules at all. I saw that you'd been a member a while, but I didn't recognize your name (and I recognize a LOT). I did do a search and saw that you were in the same boat I was with "earlier join date but not trading".

NOPE....you DON'T get to withdraw your name, ymaddox! ha! :)

I specifically elaborated above so folks could see that our kind of newbie is a valid one. (Many probably hadn't even thought of that kind.) And at the same time, no one is ever forced to adopt anyone. The match makes itself. It's a really perfect non-rule kind of rule.

ymaddox is still up for adoption.

dciolek -- ok, if you really want to! Feel free to join back up later this winter when the whole world is starting their veggies. Seriously, whether you have a little bit coming in already or not, you can still participate. :)

o

I think you will find that Beth was asking for herself, she has been moving around and probably wants to be adopted herself. She would never question another person's motives, not her style!!

o

Hey, if someone is willing -- I'm in for participation and I will definitely grow/save what I get to pass on in the future. I just didn't want to take seeds away from someone else who might need them more since I now have some coming in.

Building up the seed box is always welcomed -- and I will certainly return the favor in the future. Just sent my 4th box of horseradish roots out in the mail today! The 5th wanted to wait until spring to ship due to frozen ground.

o

Interesting conversation that I stirred up here. I apologize for starting it and/or upsetting anyone. I asked because there have been times when there was a time limit of only a few months for newbies.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Diene. I really appreciate that.
I have been at this for years but because of some of the weird places that I have lived there have been several years where I had very little to offer.
My first year I was blessed with a friend/neighbor who gave me a fat envelope full of columbine seed. I traded them for all sorts of things and grew some beautiful plants.
This year again I had very little available to trade so I started watching for places where there were attractive wild flowers. I collected a lot of these as they set seed and have made some good trades again this year. There are all sorts of reasons that folks have little or nothing to trade.
I'd much rather pass along the good seeds that I have than see them sitting in a box growing older.
Please don't anybody drop out. I'm betting there are lots of seeds every year that never get planted. Lets just keep spreading them around.
Thanks again kilngod you are doing a great job here
bethb

o

I mailed a fat envelope of seeds to HoHumHollow and BeesNeeds yesterday. Both of you should receive them soon.

Don

o

Shoot, Bethb I know your name, but didn't know your changing garden times. I'll send you seeds anytime you need. (But give me a month, I'm full up with stuff right now!)

If I had been thinking....I would've thought to put this newbie status info in the initial post. Oh, well! We're doing okay enough & have gotten that all straightened out. (I'll add a mini blurb to the next update post.)

Carry on folks!

o

lol i am really sorry i never meant to cause confusion, but you know how sometimes your sure it is you that the finger is being pointed at :P . i truly am sorry, had alot going on here lately and guess just wearing my emotions on my sleeve, so beth let me say to you personally i am sorry. i do have some seeds i can trade and i had emailed beth cause she wanted some bushel gourd seed and i have like seven or so and would be willing to split them as my aunt sent them to me and i will most certainly ask for more and she was wanting some succulents and i have a bunch of those i can send starts on i think they have to callous over anyway before you plant them so would be perfect. i would love some gourd varieties myself, and pumpkin and veggies. those types of things and as i learn to save more seed i will sure keep a bunch...i did not know you could save hosta seed thought the only way to propagate was to bust them up into smaller clumps.

o

ymaddox, i am getting seed together for you. Not adopting, but a good tarde OK?
I only ever have space for a very few plants so generally can share most of the stuff. The basket gourds will be a challenge but I really really want to try them so...... I'm pleased to do a swap there.
Now, it is time for me to go away and keep my big mouth shut for a while ; )
bb

o

azmountains_gardener zone 5b/6a AZ (special interests: flowers/herbs/veggies)*Her email is posted up above!
ymaddox zone 6 (state unknown, please post)(special interests: veggies/hosta/roses/gourds)
*sunshinenc zone 7 NC
*deergarden zone 8 (no state listed, but I'm guessing TX, AZ, or NM based on her seed list)
(*To adopt deergarden or sunshinenc: see notations above regarding "technical website difficulties"; you can contact them via GWmail only, not sure if they'll check back here or not though if GWmail is having problems.)

----------------------

Adoptions in-process or completed:

nuttnhunee z5a (smitties)
sundog2010 zone 5a WI (elvis)
bhscarlett (aquawise)

(I decided to just keep these all listed, since we may not always know when an adopt is complete. This way we can also see a running total of adoptions, which is fun.)

o

I received my package last night from Dem_Pa. It was busting with tons of seeds. My Hubby thought I was crazy for how excited I got unpacking and looking at every type of seed. Thank you Dem_Pa! This is going to be a great garden!

o

i tried to post thank you tonight for aquawise and it still isnt showing up in ratings,,? dont thnk this site is recognizing me at all, please correct if you cana,, im not computer literate not much else i can do at my end,,okease please help to get this fixed,, if you can,, blessings,, Beth

o

Not sure how to request seeds i would like to start this with people also...

o

deer garden are you able to provide supplemental water?
Do you have javelenas to contend with too?
Please contact me.
thanks
Bethb

o

I would like to sign up for this. I am in Wyoming and just starting out. I know I need to fill out my wants list on my member pages yet, will hopefully have that done tomorrow. I'm easy to please, I love anything with flowers!

Thank you!
Wendy

o

another 'newbie' here. I love gardening...just makes you feel good (and alot cheaper than a therapist) haha
I like the idea of the adoption program. Is this still active? Am I adoptable? :)
Nancy

o

azmountains_gardener zone 5b/6a AZ (special interests: flowers/herbs/veggies)*Her email is posted up above!
NancyPlants zone 5b Kansas (nice want list posted)
wjarvie zone unknown (please post) in Wyoming (so that sure ain't zone hot or anything) (special interests: flowers of any kind)

*sunshinenc zone 7 NC
*deergarden zone 8 (no state listed, but I'm guessing TX, AZ, or NM based on her seed list)
(*To adopt deergarden or sunshinenc: see notations above regarding "technical website difficulties"; you can contact them via GWmail only, not sure if they'll check back here or not though if GWmail is having problems.)

***I've generally started grouping the newbies by zone in the adopt list. Just seemed easier for adopting.....

Marg1970 -- we'll need your zone, state and change your email setting so we can see the address. (click the link at the very top of this thread for help doing those things.) Try those things carefully. Then post back here. If it keeps rejecting your updates, please say.

----------------------

bhscarlett (aquawise)

(I decided to just keep these all listed, since we may not always know when an adopt is complete. This way we can also see a running total of adoptions, which is fun.)

o

This sounds fun! I am a Newbie but have a few questions, I will attempt to send a message to Kilngod.

o

nuttnhunee and Wren1 have both received their packages of seeds from me.

I am watching the list and preparing for another adoption. Margo

o

I'm a newbie to GardenWeb. I am hoping to do a homeschool garden this year. I have only very tiny amounts of seeds. I haven't done any trades yet. Can I be put on the list?

o

I usually post on another forum, but got redirected over here tonite when another member posted a Round Robin Forum link! I just read all the way to the bottom of this thread---far enough to find Wendy/wjarvie, and since I live in Denver and TOTALLY understand the conditions in which she "gardens" up there in the Wilds of Wyoming, I'd be glad to send her an envelope of a dozen or so different kinds of perennial seeds that should do well for her---assuming she's not somewhere up in the high country in the Tetons!

What do you guys usually consider to be an adoption??? Is a dozen seed packets enough? If that's not enough to consider it an "adoption," maybe you can keep her on the list for a second somebody to send some more!

I'll PM her to make arrangements,
Skybird
from Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

o

I couldn't contact Kilngod, my question was how the process works of reimbursing the cost of the package?

o

Skybird -- A dozen packs is good. We'll call that the standard adoption = 12 packs of seed. Folks can feel free to do more, but this is plenty enough to be joyous of for newbies, and small enough to encourage adoptions.

afd123 -- sorry, GW has my page/settings all messed up. It even keeps defaulting to zone 10 in my posts (ha, that's funny!), and my email link has disappeared (ugh).

Manner for covering the cost of postage is up to the adopter veteran. Listed in the first posting, as requirements & the reimbursement ways I am familiar with: "will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance"... "can be done by check via mail or by easier/faster paypal" although that latter one is listed next to the If Plants Too part I now realize. Relative/typical costs to expect are posted up there too.

Marg1970 -- see my note earlier (a little bit up there ^)

NancyPlants zone 5b Kansas (want list posted)
efd123 zone 6/7 (state unknown, please post)(interests: herbs, perennials, edibles)
_________
*sunshinenc zone 7 NC

***I've generally started grouping the newbies by zone in the adopt list. Just seemed easier for adopting.....

wjarvie zone unk Wyoming (skybird)
bhscarlett (aquawise)

o

Hi Tina,

I just sent nancypants an email, she has been adopted!

I will mail her out a nice package as soon as I get her address.

Lisa

o

AZmountains, please try to email me. I have some seeds you are looking for.
I emailed deergarden about a week ago but have had no response. Perhaps the email did not go through?????

o

wow, got in seeds from Dem-pa... I cannot say enough how grateful I am to him.. There was a mail problem, and he took it in stride though I'm in sort of a quandry about it.
Now I have so many seeds to choose from, don't know where to start!
Thank you Dem_pa.. You are outstanding!!

o

I'm new and would love to be adopted. I helped my mom in the garden as a small child and said I would never garden. But, I have found that the food is much better.

I don't have a huge collection, and very few flowers. I have a 20 month old son that I would love to provide watermelons, cantaloupes, beans, peas, brocolli, or any other fresh fruit or vegetable. I would love to be able to can and freeze stuff to use throughout the year. I'm really not picky. As for flowers, I think all that I have are sunflowers and a wildflower mix. I would love something colorful to put around the base of my garden.

Some things that catch my eye are bright oranges, yellows, blue, and red flowers. I am also very interested in pomegranates, peaches, apples, nuts, and citrus fruit.

So, really anything would be greatly appreciated.

We are in Zone 7 (Georgia). Once I get acquainted with the forum, would love to do some seed swaps and help others.
thanks for the wonderful group,
Lori

o

Hello,

I have lurked around these forums ever since I started gardening in the last year and a half. I have learned a great deal on these forums. One of which was why my tomato seedlings leaves were turning white when I put them outside. I laugh about it to my father in law who is a garden lover as well but honestly I am still embarrassed that I did not know plants had to be hardened off. That is why I am so excited for this years gardening. Redemption!

My husband and I moved into our home almost two years ago. I am just starting to place flowers into our backyard but honestly I do not know much about flowers and I get stuck on the "right" spot. Not just for flowers but for herbs as well.

Hehe, I apologize if I started to ramble. I am in Oregon and we are zone 8.

Thank you!

Misty

o

Okay, I got an email from my new newbie, she gave me her address and I am sorting seeds for her right now!!

I will probably swing by the post office tomorrow and grab stamps and send it off.

Lisa

o

Tina,

I would love to adopt a newbie. I am happy to adopt Scratchits (Misty) from Oregon, my neighbor to the North.

Misty, I will email you soon.

Annie

o

beth_b_kodiak, I just sent you an email, so hopefully you got it.

o

AZmountains Gardener are setting up an adoption.
Thanks for the quick reply
BB

o

Hi, I'm a newbie and I'd love to be adopted. I just got my first place in Zone 10/Sunset 22, So Cal and I'll be starting from scratch. Thanks! :)

-- C

o

hi im new to this forum and gardening i wanted to know if anyone would be willing to adopt me that would be awesome thanks ahead of time morbidzero

o

Hi all, if it's agreeable, I'd like to adopt "bizarrogir". :)

o

lbooth169 & Marg1970 -- see the link below. We need your email to be viewable to members in order to put you on the list. Follow the instructions at this link, and check in back here afterward. Marg1970, we also need your zone & state to put you on the list.

efd123 zone 6/7 (state unknown, please post)(interests: herbs, perennials, edibles)
morbidzero zone 8b (special interests: tomatoes, other veggies)
_________
*sunshinenc zone 7 NC

bizarrogir zone 10/Sunset 22 Southern CA (cryptid)
Scratchits zone 8 OR (canyonwind)
NancyPlants zone 5b Kansas (ishareflowers)
azmountains_gardener zone 5b/6a AZ (beth_b_kodiak)
bhscarlett (aquawise)

Here is a link that might be useful: Email settings so members can see

o

Good morning everyone, I'd like to adopt morbidzero. :)

o

I have updated my page.

Thanks,
Lori

o

It's been over 2 weeks since I sent an email to Nis941 and have heard nothing in return. I will be waiting to see if I can try adopting another new gardener with like zones as my own, since this one didnot work out.

o

Hello Everyone - Newbie here that would love to be adopted by a neightbor to swap stories and seeds! For some reason I cannot edit my profile so I will do so here: After years of yearning, I finally escaped the big city and moved to my soon to be garden paradise in Sebastopol Ca. The land is neglected but full of promise and ready for my hands (and heart) in the dirt! I'm building a fruit/veggie/herb garden and always willing to discover something new! Looking to make friends for garden play and to swap stories and seeds.

My email: citygirlseeds@gmail.com

Happy Gardening!

o

I am in Massachusetts and Have lots of empty land to fill up with goodness, This year I will make raised beds for my first Veggie garden, and another for herbs. I plan on having a cutting garden since I love fresh flowers in vases all through the house (who doesn't?) I even plan on planting a few fruit trees since I just love that plants can give us treats. I am also planning my wedding for June-ish 2012 and want to grow most if not all of my own flowers. I dont want exuberance, but rather wildflowers, herbs, and such!

o

GW,
I have a very lovely portuguese neighbor who loves to garden. Last season her seeds were ruined in the floods that we had here in RI. I myself am just a newbie and have given her all that I can. I understand that I was already adopted (which allowd me to give her some seeds), but I was wondering if you would adopt Manuela through me. She is older and did not understand when I tried to give her directions to sign-up on GW because she understands little English. Gardening is the language we speak. Please let me know if anyone would be willing to help!

o

OK I will adopt (2) of you :-). I am not sure who is taken and who is available.... If you have not been adopted shoot me an email with your address "GW Adopt a newbie" in the subject(after posting on here and letting everyone know It has been spoken for) and I will mail out your seeds. This is my seeds from last years winter sowing that I used again this year but there are so many seeds I cannot use them all (As I like a lot of variety so I do not use many out of each pack). There are give or take over 100 packs in each envelope of all varietys (flowers from pansys to datura to different zinnias and marigolds and maltese cross and money plants .... tons of others)

Oh and I will pay for the postage, just send over your addy :-)

Tammy
AKA - Greenthumbgrow

o

Hi Folks!
I would love to be adopted! I don't have much of a "want list" yet but I love bee balms, sages,perennials, cottage flowers and most anything that blooms. I'm in Virginia, zone 7.
Thanks for keeping this thread alive!
Mavis07

o
Thanks for the Offer!

Hi Folks!
I would love to be adopted! Thanks for keeping this thread alive! I sent you an e-mail!

Mavis07

o

Misty (Scratchits) and I have been in contact. I am headed upstairs to do some seed sorting. I will post when I send Misty's way.

Annie

o

Ok. I have adopted Mavis and Lori. Sent you both emails.
I have both their addys and their seeds will be mailed out today/tommorrow.

Enjoy your seeds and I hope to see you around here more often!

Tammy :-)
AKA - Greenthumbgrow

o

HoHumHollow,

I am sending you an email. Post here if you do not receive.

Annie (canyonwind)

o

Hohum hollow,
I added some seed for Manuela into the herb seed swap.
BB

o

Annie and BB,
I am touched! Thank you so much for your generosity! I know she will appreciate whatever we can give her.

Jay

o

Marg1970 -- see the link below. We need your email to be viewable to members in order to put you on the list. Follow the instructions at this link, and check in back here afterward. We also need your zone & state to put you on the list.

***Veterans, please list the adoptees by their screen name as they are one the list, then I don't have to go back through looking for "now who is Lori?" :) Thanks gazillions ! Time saver !

Good going everyone -- this is looking great. Just great!

dciolek zone 5B OH (interests: veggies, heirloom veggies)
ymaddox zone 6 (state unknown, please post)(interests: veggies/hosta/roses/gourds)
efd123 zone 6/7 MA (interests: herbs, perennials, flowers, edibles)
gardengimp zone 9B Florida (interests: curb appeal veggie gardening, shade)
citygirlseeds zone 9 (state unk, please post) (interests: sustainable, edible garden & flowers)
_________
*sunshinenc zone 7 NC

Manuela via HoHumHollow 6A (canyonwind)
lbooth169 zone 7 GA (greenthumbgrow)
mavis07 zone 7 VA (greenthumbgrow)
morbidzero zone 8b (naturegirl236)
bhscarlett (aquawise)

o

I have contacted GardenCochin about being adopted (Posted 1/13)and she accepted.

Don

o

Hi Kilngod/Tina and everyone,

Was lurking here, and know that some folks need to update their profile info with Member Page email link, and zone and state, and things on their want list on their Trade Page and saw the link above to the instructions for updating.

If you follow those instructions and are still having problems getting things to update correctly, please see this post at The Suggestion Forum...Login and Profile Issues. I suggest you read it carefully and follow the instructions of contacting GW with details via the link there, if you are still unable to update. One thing that is important is to have your profile filled out completely. I was having problems and found out that for some reason my birthdate had gone missing...once I filled that in I was fine.

hth.

Sue...aka chemocurl...rbb

as you were........

o

Wow! I received an evelope packed with seeds from Snapdragon36!

Thanks so much Debbie! DH couldn't believe you had such a variety.

Mavis07

o
Adoption Completed!

My adoption of wjarvie in Wyoming is complete! She sent me her address, and I came up with 17 packs of seeds which I put in the mail to her today.

Happy adopting, everyone,
Skybird

o

Scratchits (Misty)....her newbie bubbler was sent out today.

Manuela via HohumHollow (Jay)....I will be sending her surprises out tomorrow.

Have a great weekend!

Annie

o

Morning!

i will adopt efd123 now that I have mailed nancyplants package.

Lisa

o

I received an envelope full of seeds today from beth_b_kodiak. She was very generous.

Thank you Beth!

o

Klingod, I just gotta say,...this was/is a really great idea of yours! Two thumbs up, for sure! :)

o

Received an extremely generous package of seeds from canyonwind (Annie). Thank you so much Annie! I sent you an email.

Misty

o

I had forgotten about this... please remove me. I've accumulated more than enough from trades and commercial purchases.

I'll start watching to see if I can find a newbie that has varied interests as me to adopt.

o

Good going everyone -- this is going

great!

(drumroll please) ...and hostarookie becomes an adopter. She's all grow'd up now. Nicely done, hosta.

*cryptid, like lots of great things, rather than cooking it up from nothing, this grew out of a newbie sponsoring thing from back in '07 that wilmont did. I tend to take a plate of spaghetti and turn it into graph paper (or a finely tuned maserati). For the curious, here are links to that thing, first fairly fluid, general, organic. Then little sort-outs that I couldn't help adding, and wilmont was gem about allowing that kind of participation. Our current rendition is a reinvention of that event, tweeked so it would run really easily, make it simple to find who you matched up with, etc, etc. (Thanks for the enthusiasm!)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg1115530419846.html
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg1214162417495.html

GardenCochin, I am so sorry I missed listing you. I think I didn't for your email not showing, but then forgot to list a "hey, get your email showing" note. Thank you dem_pa for catching this newbie that fell through the net.

Marg1970 & GardinCochin -- see the link below. We need your email to be viewable to members in order to put you on the list. Follow the instructions at this link, and check in back here afterward (the best you can with the website tech difficulties, see chemocurl's note above). Marj1970, ee also need your zone & state to put you on the list.

***Veterans, remember to list the adoptees by their screen name as they are one the list, then I don't have to go back through looking for "now who is Lori?" :) Thanks gazillions ! Time saver !

o
RE: NEW: didn't want to accept my post with that same title....

(We'll be needing a new thread soon....try to keep the last postings, #149-150 for me to use so there is a link to the next thread.)

dciolek zone 5B OH (interests: veggies, heirloom veggies)
ymaddox zone 6 (state unknown, please post)(interests: veggies/hosta/roses/gourds)
gardengimp zone 9B Florida (interests: curb appeal veggie gardening, shade)
citygirlseeds zone 9 (state unk, please post) (interests: sustainable, edible garden & flowers)
_________
*sunshinenc zone 7 NC

efd123 zone 6/7 MA (ishareflowers)
GardenCochin zone 6 VA (dem_pa)
Manuela via HoHumHollow 6A (canyonwind)
lbooth169 zone 7 GA (greenthumbgrow)
mavis07 zone 7 VA (greenthumbgrow)
morbidzero zone 8b (naturegirl236)
bhscarlett (aquawise)

o

I tried twice to contact deer garden. Is he/she still around and interested?
Please try to contact me.
BB

o

I would love to be adopted! Nashville, TN area.

o

oh my goodness, ishareflowers, OH MY GOODNESS!!
Your package arrived this evening. How wonderful!!
My husband hasnt been all that excited about the seed trading adventure until tonight. I listed all the seeds you sent in a notebook and you should have seen him on the computer...asking me how to spell the flowers...finding just the right picture to put in a microsoft word listing of the flowers...along with all the important info (sun, height, propagation ,etc).
He might just turn out to be a happy gardener like me :)
THANK YOU SO MUCH ishareflowers!!
This is so exciting...a wonderful adventure :)
(I cant wait to have enough seeds to adopt someone myself!)

o

Nancyplants,

I'm happy that your happy!

Happy growing

Lisa

o

I'm growing a bit; but still a floppy legging seedling needing my own veteran leaf; but I can share a few perennial seeds; after all how many moringa trees does a family of two with no chickens need??

I've sent a mail to citygirlseeds (Sebastopol CA) offering her a few perennial seeds from my list.

I don't consider this an "adoption" as I really don't have an abundance of anything except beautyberry seed :)

~dianne

o

Sending citygirlseeds (zone 9, CA) an email today.

Thanks much!

Annie

o

I recieved Annie's package. Thanks you again!

Jay

o

I will adopt ymaddox, as we are in the same zone and I have seeds to spare of what is on the list. Am sending email now.

o

Sorry, false alarm; ymaddox wants only two varieties of flower seeds that I don't have. I will wait for another newbie whose want list contains items I have. LL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here