Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norma_crasulady2002

Invasive plants

These plants are known to run several feet and come up in asphalt drive ways/ streets so take that into consideration. And remember your neighbor may not want it going into their yard either. Now is time to fertilize or re-pot, if temps don't go below 55F at night. my plants were were left out all winter the past several years, they did better then my greenhouse plants. If you don't have soft water save rain water, or add vinegar to the water, you will be surprised see a difference they like slightly acid soil, and fast draining mix. That is why I say no peat moss, I you don't trust what advise I give you don't ask, and bette yet say thank you and do what you want. I keep a list of rude people, I learned that lesson playing contract bridge. Norma

Comments (16)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Norma, Aways good advise. Thank you.
    I never played 'bridge' but played 'Canasta' many times.
    Stush

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Thanks, Norma. Your profile doesn't say but it sounds like you live somewhere very warm!

That's good info to have for those who live in a climate where these would not be killed by cold winter conditions if left in the ground. Is the hardiness variable for different species? So many conflicting reports about hardiness out there, some say as low as 8, but most say 10 or above.

I've had more takers than extra plants when I've grounded plants for summer, so never experimented here. Though every winter is so different... I had no idea they could travel so far! The pups mine have made have been within a foot of the mama. People do report seeing them on the side of the road sometimes in FL.

Stush, I like Canasta too, and am SO SAD yahoo took down their original parlor games. Canasta was one of my standard activities, right after Literati (scrabble.) Both of these have gotten a lot of votes for being replaced, glad to see. Were you a yahoo gamer?

9 years ago

Tiffany,
    South Florida zone 10 had a real problem with invasive Sans. The ones they mention is Sansevieria guineensis, in it's many forms.
    It's only in zone 10 that they have this problem. Most places are too wet during winter. In zone 9, may have some micro zones 10. Norma speaks with experence. If left to it's own. S. cylindrical could reach out to where we don't want them. After all they are pot breakers.
    I never played on internet. I used to play with my parents when we came down to visit. Times way before computers.

• hermine
    9 years ago

Approximately 85% all plants grown in North America, whether as weeds, food, fodder, for construction, for food, for landscape and for decoration are INTRODUCED PLANTS So as a supplier of bamboo, I get mighty weary of people complaining of the rampant growth of introduced non native plants. Without non- native plants we would be all eating buffalo, venison and cranberries for the most part. The Sansevieria which runs wild in parts of Florida, which many call guineensis, is actually properly called metallica. Just remember wherever there is bare earth, SOMETHING will eventually find its way and grow there. My property is now surrounded by volunteer Sideroxylon rosea, a big and not particularly attractive Eucalyptus, and tumbleweed blows down my main street, and still, life goes on.

9 years ago

Hermine,
    With out knowing you, I feel I do. Love your book. Many thanks again. With much respect.
    Do you keep any Sansevieria plants? If so what kinds do you have?
    I too love plants that many may call weeks. I feel it is my duty to keep them with in bounds and not to let go. Even the most fancy colored barberry bush produce seeds that revert to those jaggier weeds. With new cultivation methods used, we can control most of those very invasive plants.

• hermine
    9 years ago

Stush and fellow humans, I find it remarkable that people act as if any garden requires MAINTENANCE, which is certainly not limited to controlling plants which can walk over a property boundary, as well as the usual grooming and outdoor housework! The California Pepper Trees which folks plant hereabouts, grow like mad and the city or county comes along every couple of years and prunes the living daylights out of them. San Pedro cactus and similar ones, planted at the entrance occasionally have their stems broken and we collect them and pot them up. in places where they have not been controlled, they form huge masses, but those are in places where "nobody cares" I really would like to know of an example in southern CA where any Sansevieria has broken through blacktop. Now, blacktop applied over earth is not a structural material and even tufts of grass will push through its cracks and eventually widen them. Blacktop is meant as a surfacing over concrete substrate. It is much easier to just take responsibility for what you have planted and keep it from invading somebody else's turf. thanks for kind words!

9 years ago

If every one knew about the San Pedro cactus, I believe it would be hard to find them anywhere in the wild. But again most hippies today are too lazy to work for anything. They would wait until some one else harvest it and rob them of it. The mind effects could be very dangerous and long lasting. Why would some one want to make themselves stupid?
    Sorry for being off topic.
    Stush

• hermine
    9 years ago

Fellow Humans and all others, I only just found out recently that the San Pedro is a drug plant. My fear and loathing of such chemical trips is considerable. However this is a marvelously decorative plant. As is Peyote, which is often found tucked away in a rare cactus collection, NEVER TO BE EATEN.Recently I read somewhere that Sansevieras are POISONOUS. I have no desire to eat them, but I doubt they are poisonous!

9 years ago

Toxic and poison are mixed interchangeably. Too bad. One makes you sick the other could kill. Most plants are toxic. Some toxins can cure you of other more deadly conditions. We are just learning again what our ancestors knew.
    Stush

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

i've seen lots of dif kinds of sans planted in miami, fl in front beds - quite on purpose obviously. some scraggly and ugly, some very nice. some in total thickets under palms.
    here's one used as ground cover on the street bed planting - i thought it was very cute and manageable too. don't know what variety this is. it looked like a dwarf.
    so i guess it all depends, got to know what to grow.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

this one was totally hideous AND unkempt too. but size-wise almost impressive...in out-of-bound-jungle kind of way...
    don't know what possesses people to plant beds like that.
    what you see is about a third of the total thicket :). and on a nice street too, not just roadside.

9 years ago

Yes they are a problem in Miami. Bottom picture is Sansevieria hyacinthoides. Top looks to be Sansevieria trifasciata 'hahnii'. It is more of a house plant in the rest of the U.S.
    Thanks for posting.
    Stush

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

stush,
    so i found your last year post about hyacynthoides=guineensis=metallica.
    it was planted in fl for hemp production! interestingly.
    i def prefer s. hahnii ;).

Here is a link that might be useful: stush's post last year

9 years ago

thank you.

• hermine
    9 years ago

Some people do not know what ugly is and some people have not a clue about garden maintenance. Before you blame a plant for being invasive, ask yourself who is in charge of maintaining it.this is the villain in the scenario.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Well said!