Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving/harvesting Yarrow Seeds (and catmint)

Posted by karendee 5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 25, 08 at 12:15

I have some brown flower heads and have them saved... I am not sure what the seeds look like. Any ideas how to harvest the seeds correctly?

Also can I harvest any seeds from my catmint or pincushion flower?

I am a newbie when it comes to seed harvesting...
thanks,
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving/harvesting Yarrow Seeds (and catmint)

Here is a link below that may be useful for the Yarrow. It's a post listed here on the GW forums. I have two plants of yarrow. A yellow and a red (which I believe it was labeled cinnamon. Trying also to see if I can save the seeds.

If you do a search, you may find cat mint as well (which I have also have) and at this point I don't need seeds as they are sprouting up all over the garden by themselves. Good luck.

Julia

Here is a link that might be useful: Yarrow

o

When yarrow seed is ripe it's really easy to collect it by putting a container below the flowerhead and tapping on the flower. Lots and lots of tiny little seeds will fall out into the container.

Lynda

o

thanks for the help!!!
Karen

o

Karen, I collected seeds from my yellow yarrow plant and wintersowed them the following year. The new plants came up white not yellow! Maybe the yellow plant needs to be divided rather than using seed to make new plants. Susan

o

Your pincusion flower heads will lose the flower petals and the center part will dry out and turn brown. You should be able to gently rub the flower head and the seeds should come right off into a container or envelope. They will be cone shaped and have little "whiskers" coming out of the them.

I'm new to seed collecting this year too. I know it's hard, but try not to let it overwhelm you. You'll feel more and more comfortable about it as time goes by!

Diana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here