Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unknown seed

Posted by killgriff07 zone 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 08 at 22:19

I know this is kind of a stretch, but can anyone tell from the seed what plant it is? I found this on the ground and am curious what it is and want to know how to plant it correctly. It has a small seed inside that you can hear rattle when you shake it. It also has a sort of velvety cover on it (the brown marks are where it has rubbed off).
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unknown seed

You might try asking on your state or region specific forum (since you do not have your location listed in your zone box.) You will then reach folks in your area, where that seed (and plant) might be found.

To add your location to your zone box (See I am zone 5/6 S IN just click on Member Pages link at the bottom of any page here and follow the links to update your profile.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden Web Regional Forums

o

Ok, I'll try that. Thank you

o

You're welcome. I see you now have a location in your zone box, thus also on your member page. Good for you.

I hope you get your seed identified. You might also try asking at the link below as they are really good, even just with a seed pod and location.

If you get an idea, and think of it, would you please post what it is here? I am curious as well as to what it might be. Thanks!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Name that Plant Forum

o

Ok, i'll have to get it on a couple of forums to see what it is. I will definately post back if I get an answer on what it is. Thanks

o

May be a Gall rather than a seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: goldenrod galls

o

That does look similar outside, but the seed is hollow unlike the gall, and it is velvety. thanks though.

o

The gall will be hollow also when it is really good and dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here