Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdgator

Where to find 5 different types of Compost?

sdgator
15 years ago

I'm a total newbie, and I'm about to start my first 4x4 square foot garden. I've bought and read the book, which recommends compost from 5 different sources. So far, I've only found a couple at HD and Lowe's, and they don't list what the source material was.

Where's the best place to get compost for Mel's Mix in Austin, Texas?

Comments (7)

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

home made...

Search your local craiglist, I bet you could find some free aged horse manure or composted horse manure. Put in a bin and let it heat up for a few weeks to finish composting and there's one new source for free.

Horse manure in Austin

None of this has been composted yet but it's in or near Austin

This ones not free

This one is free

I'm surprised there's not more sources for places that deliver fill dirt/compost/mulch etc. Check again weekly it'll probably show up.

You can also check your local freecycle

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Municipal compost is very diverse and definitely qualifies as 5+ different sources. That's what I did and got it bulk so I didn't need tons of bags. If you have yard waste pickup in your area (or nearby), chances are you have some sort of municipal compost cheap or free.

Good luck... I was where you are last year. Welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

5 different kinds of compost? pftt....3 will work just fine. Start making your own, and you'll have it ready for the fall crop. That's how you get the good stuff....

EG

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

I agree with EG. Start your own compost bin in the backyard and you'll have more than 5 sources of compost in no time at all.

When I first started my beds, I used horse and cow compost, with some mushroom compost I got from a big box store. My aunt has chickens, so I get the cleanings from their cages to add to my compost bin, and a lady on my local CL has kangaroo poo that I add when I can catch her with any "in stock".

• Katxena
    15 years ago

Mel recommends 5 sources of compost to ensure the very best success in a newbie's garden. If you have the funds to get it, I think it's worth pursuing. If you don't have the funds, I wouldn't worry too much about it and would try for one really good source (as sinfonian suggests) or 2-3 sources. rj_hythloday & sinfonian have given you good leads.

You can also look in the yellow pages for compost or dirt, but be careful with those sources -- make sure to ask about rocks and weedseeds and what the compost was made from. Don't be afraid to have it delivered in bulk. It really is the cheapest way to go.

I would also look for a local nursery that's not a bigbox. I just did a google search for "austin organic nursery" and found several.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google results for

• megmaine
    15 years ago

I am from Austin!
    But live in Maine now... but am surprised you can't find a fantastic selection of composts there... Go online and find the Texas A&M Agricultural Extension Service and see if you can find out where you can get great compost.

I would also go ask around at Whole Foods Central Market. I know they don't sell compost there, but they might know where to get "the good stuff".

Coast of Maine is a fantastic brand that makes blueberry compost, lobster compost, and other fish compost that is superb for growing huge, healthy fruits and veggies, and gorgeous flowers, organically.

I personally do not trust municipal compost because it can contain municipal grass and leaves that are treated with pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides.

In Austin, you should also be able to get either liquid or bags of vermicompost... which is earthworm castings. You should be able to get "worm tea" and "worm castings". Ask Home Depot, ask Whole Foods, and ask at Ruta Maya if they are still in business and still attract whatever you call crunchy people these days, or the Magnolia Cafe. Someone there will at least know someone who does or sells vermicompost and/or knows where you can get all the good stuff. Heck, call local nurseries.

Best luck to you, but from my memory of 11 years ago in Austin, seems like back then, the world was your oyster in Austin for things like choices in compost, etc.
    Hope that hasn't changed.

Here's the "worm bin in Austin" page right here on Garden Web! http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg1214415827635.html

• sdgator
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the replies!! I'm going to go pick the local nurseries for info. And I've been planning on starting composting. Craigslist looks like a great source for free compost material!!

Sponsored