how much space between beds?

di_h
15 years ago

2ft? Is that too much?

Could I get away with less?

Comments (24)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i don't know about anyone else, but if your gonna mow, i'd leave enough to mow between them. unless you have it mulched or something. or if your gona pull a cart or something? just somethings to think about. :') ~Medo

• socalgirl-10
    15 years ago

I have two foot between mine and I think that is just the minimum I could do with.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Di_h , you want a minimum of 3 feet between them. Some of the foliage from the plants is going to potrude from the bed. If I didn't have the removable fencing around mine- you saw what a mess i'd have with the squash.....Yeah, yeah -I know.....Must trellis the squash, and this won't happen.lol
    EG

• crystabel
    15 years ago

I'd go at least 3 feet. I thought two would be enough but once I laid out the boxes I realized it wasn't much space for walking between plants that were growing out of their box.

• krintis
    15 years ago

I am new to SFG, but have garden for 3 years. You should go with a 3' space. In error, I tried to go with 2' but it was still to close especially trying to water, pull weeds and harvesting.
    If you don't, you will be kissing every plant when time to harvest!

• di_h
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep only 5'4" here so maybe 2ft will be fine.

• yaquigrande
    15 years ago

Mel, in his new book, recommends 3 feet between beds. I agree, however, that it should be an individual thing. I have left 3 feet between my two beds ( I plan on at least 4 more beds ).

• the_seventh_worm
    15 years ago

I think Mel's reasoning was a width of 3 feet is required if you want to push a wheel barrow between the beds.

• chris_in_ca
    15 years ago

We have paths of 2' to 3' between our beds. Two feet works, but I prefer three feet when we're out with baskets or bowls gathering veggies. The extra space is more convenient when weeding and cleaning up the garden too.

I'd go with three foot pathways if you have the room for it.
    Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith Family Garden

• jbest123
    15 years ago

If you have the space, I would recomend 4' minimum. Check this post and I have a better discription in my journal.

john

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sqfoot/msg0717573631986.html?5

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• organic_mamag
    15 years ago

I have 2' walkways this year and in the spring it seemed fine. (I'm 5'4" too, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.) But now that everything is growing (and overflowing) it is not nearly enough. In fact, some of my walkways are so grown over that I can't use them right now and harvesting is a problem. I'm sure trellising would help, but that'll have to wait until next year. Also, next year I am going to use 3' walkways (I don't have raised beds this year, but will next year).

• di_h
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I laid out guide lines of where the beds will be, trying one half of the garden with 3ft paths and the other with 2ft, and planted stuff on the edges direct in the ground. I can see that 2ft isn't enough (esp with tomato plants trying to escape). Going with 3ft. Less space but looks better too. I figure if I want more growing space I can add containers.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

LOL, I'm pretty tiny, even for 5'4" and I have to say, there are also times when you may want to sort of lay out and look up at your plants from under (does that make sense? cause it sounds sort of weird...). When you're checking for bugs, etc... I don't think I'd be happy with 2', but everyone has their own way I guess. I really think you'll be glad you went with 3' over all.
    EG: I trellised the squash this year. The pumpkin is beautiful, but I'm going to let the zucchini sprawl next year, it is just weird to trellis it. Like trying to hook spider legs upward, if that's a good picture for you. Mine doesn't look like Mel's in his pics, lol. Course, I'm going with the black beauty next year, too, like you guys recommended.

Carolyn P.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Carolyn - I'm seriously going to use upside down tomato cages for my squash next year. Also, i'll probably add more rings to the cage - by welding some galvanized wire to it. That'll make them work better for me...I just have to remember to drink my milk after the welding is done. Please tell me the secret to the black beauty variety...I must have missed something..

EG

• ccaggiano
    15 years ago

I went with three feet. And have cuc's and other plants sprawling in the aisles. Never got around to trellising. Even with the sprawling plants, I have enough space to work around them.

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

I think it all depends. I have a couple beds really close together. BUT the one whole side of one is lettuce so there is no growing over the edges and the other one is a single 1'x10' box with stuff "caged" in and next year I will do it a bit different. It works for me and the space that I had :)

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

From my limited experience with this 3 feet seems better. I used 3ft around the perimeter and 2 feet between the boxes.

3 seems better and I can use a wheel barrow around the perimeter.

At the entrance section I used 3 1/2 as it will be a walk-through to another garden area.

By mikeinparadise at 2008-08-01

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

Mike what a beautiful landscape - both your garden and surrounding area. Awesome!

Is that a potato bin to the right > center?

Maureen

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Aw, man....Mike...dude - that is an absolutely beautiful picture.....I really mean it. Holy moly!

EG

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

Quote:"Is that a potato bin to the right > center?"

Yes it is but I just put it in and we only have 8 weeks to our first frost date so I am not expecting very much. Some babies if I am lucky.

Thanks for the Kind words EG...

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Mike, your garden is so beautiful!! I can't believe how far you guys have come.
    EG: someone on this site said they were growing black beauty and they are getting an enormous yield.

Carolyn P.

• mi-garden-gal
    15 years ago

I would not go any less than 2 feet You will find that if you go with 2 feet this year, next year you will probably be going with 3 or more feet.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Incredible garden pic, Mike! My husband and I both are staring in admiration! Wow!!!!

~Angela

Sponsored