how much space between beds?

Posted by di_h 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 18:28

2ft? Is that too much?
Could I get away with less?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how much space between beds?

i don't know about anyone else, but if your gonna mow, i'd leave enough to mow between them. unless you have it mulched or something. or if your gona pull a cart or something? just somethings to think about. :') ~Medo

o

I have two foot between mine and I think that is just the minimum I could do with.

o

Di_h , you want a minimum of 3 feet between them. Some of the foliage from the plants is going to potrude from the bed. If I didn't have the removable fencing around mine- you saw what a mess i'd have with the squash.....Yeah, yeah -I know.....Must trellis the squash, and this won't happen.lol
EG

o

I'd go at least 3 feet. I thought two would be enough but once I laid out the boxes I realized it wasn't much space for walking between plants that were growing out of their box.

o

I am new to SFG, but have garden for 3 years. You should go with a 3' space. In error, I tried to go with 2' but it was still to close especially trying to water, pull weeds and harvesting.
If you don't, you will be kissing every plant when time to harvest!

o

It also comes down to how big are you? I'm only 5 feet tall, and 2 feet fits me just fine (my beds are only 3ft wide, as that's all I can reach).

o

• Posted by di_h 10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 08 at 22:42

Yep only 5'4" here so maybe 2ft will be fine.

o

Mel, in his new book, recommends 3 feet between beds. I agree, however, that it should be an individual thing. I have left 3 feet between my two beds ( I plan on at least 4 more beds ).

o

I think Mel's reasoning was a width of 3 feet is required if you want to push a wheel barrow between the beds.

o

We have paths of 2' to 3' between our beds. Two feet works, but I prefer three feet when we're out with baskets or bowls gathering veggies. The extra space is more convenient when weeding and cleaning up the garden too.

I'd go with three foot pathways if you have the room for it.
Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith Family Garden

o

If you have the space, I would recomend 4' minimum. Check this post and I have a better discription in my journal.

john

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sqfoot/msg0717573631986.html?5

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

o

I have 2' walkways this year and in the spring it seemed fine. (I'm 5'4" too, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.) But now that everything is growing (and overflowing) it is not nearly enough. In fact, some of my walkways are so grown over that I can't use them right now and harvesting is a problem. I'm sure trellising would help, but that'll have to wait until next year. Also, next year I am going to use 3' walkways (I don't have raised beds this year, but will next year).

o

Well I laid out guide lines of where the beds will be, trying one half of the garden with 3ft paths and the other with 2ft, and planted stuff on the edges direct in the ground. I can see that 2ft isn't enough (esp with tomato plants trying to escape). Going with 3ft. Less space but looks better too. I figure if I want more growing space I can add containers.

o

LOL, I'm pretty tiny, even for 5'4" and I have to say, there are also times when you may want to sort of lay out and look up at your plants from under (does that make sense? cause it sounds sort of weird...). When you're checking for bugs, etc... I don't think I'd be happy with 2', but everyone has their own way I guess. I really think you'll be glad you went with 3' over all.
EG: I trellised the squash this year. The pumpkin is beautiful, but I'm going to let the zucchini sprawl next year, it is just weird to trellis it. Like trying to hook spider legs upward, if that's a good picture for you. Mine doesn't look like Mel's in his pics, lol. Course, I'm going with the black beauty next year, too, like you guys recommended.

Carolyn P.

o

Carolyn - I'm seriously going to use upside down tomato cages for my squash next year. Also, i'll probably add more rings to the cage - by welding some galvanized wire to it. That'll make them work better for me...I just have to remember to drink my milk after the welding is done. Please tell me the secret to the black beauty variety...I must have missed something..

EG

o

I went with three feet. And have cuc's and other plants sprawling in the aisles. Never got around to trellising. Even with the sprawling plants, I have enough space to work around them.

o

I think it all depends. I have a couple beds really close together. BUT the one whole side of one is lettuce so there is no growing over the edges and the other one is a single 1'x10' box with stuff "caged" in and next year I will do it a bit different. It works for me and the space that I had :)

o

From my limited experience with this 3 feet seems better. I used 3ft around the perimeter and 2 feet between the boxes.

3 seems better and I can use a wheel barrow around the perimeter.

At the entrance section I used 3 1/2 as it will be a walk-through to another garden area.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By mikeinparadise at 2008-08-01

o

Mike what a beautiful landscape - both your garden and surrounding area. Awesome!

Is that a potato bin to the right > center?

Maureen

o

Aw, man....Mike...dude - that is an absolutely beautiful picture.....I really mean it. Holy moly!

EG

o
RE Potato Bin

Quote:"Is that a potato bin to the right > center?"

Yes it is but I just put it in and we only have 8 weeks to our first frost date so I am not expecting very much. Some babies if I am lucky.

Thanks for the Kind words EG...

o

Mike, your garden is so beautiful!! I can't believe how far you guys have come.
EG: someone on this site said they were growing black beauty and they are getting an enormous yield.

Carolyn P.

o

I would not go any less than 2 feet You will find that if you go with 2 feet this year, next year you will probably be going with 3 or more feet.

o

Incredible garden pic, Mike! My husband and I both are staring in admiration! Wow!!!!

~Angela

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here