Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

current photos of 2008 garden

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

Here's some photos of my garden right now.

Okra

Peaches and cream corn

from left to right - yellow squash, tomatoes, hot peppers, okra

slung cantaloupe

cantaloupe trellis

watermelon and cucumber trellis

Comments (58)

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

Looks absolutely fantabulous!!! Next year I want to do that fencing concept on my Tomato bed (the 1'x10' bed). The twine and such worked this year and was incredibly cheap, but I would really like something more like that.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Hehe, did the clerk suggest a different size to fit you better when you went up to pay for the nylons? Or say that color wasn't you? (don't worry, they didn't me when I got them for my wife).

And SoCalGirl, I bet you're very close to where my wife grew up (in Orange). Boy is it hot there in the summer. I bet your garden is loving it if you can mulch and keep it watered.

Gotta love that fence. Coons are liking my corn too much. Grrr.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Socalgirl - I've been to anaheim. I was staying at a hotel on the same street as Disneyland. It was very pretty. I have been to California 6 times, with my previous job. I took my family to the bay area in April....they loved it. I'm glad you like the garden. I'll be correcting a few problems next year, though.

Medo - the color was written on the box...sorry! I don't have a cross-dressing fetish or anything! Ha

Holly - OMG!!!!! I was wondering if somebody was gonna notice the one on the right that looks like a boob. I showed it to the boys, and they had a big laugh! Ha Oh God, holly, you made me laugh hard. So...tell me- do you like my melons better than shot's? LOL Thanks for the compliments.

Jeni - thanks, I can show you some detailed photos of the construction, if you need me to.

Sinfonian - I went out to the garden this morning, and an armadillo had been digging at the base of my box. Thank god for the fence, though! Here's a photo of the evidence.

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

You know I'd love to see them!!! Then I can print em and take em to the store with me to get the supplies ;)

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here ya go, jeni. Below is an old thread explaining the construction of the removable sections of fence. You can also browse the posts from april/may to find out more about how I built it.

Here is a link that might be useful: fence, by EG

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

An Armadillo! What the hell? Good lord I freak out at bugs. An Armadillo? I don't think I would do well in the south. Although in my naivety I assumed that they only lived in Texas. What a goofball! Last year my husband worked in Arizona for 3 months because we were thinking about moving there so he was testing the waters (or sands - lol). I grilled him about the plants, birds and wildlife when he came home and he was like "What?" - "I was working!". So it was a no-go.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Thanks! I knew I remembered seeing it, but forgot where. What's the deal with the electric fence wire? Can you explain how you connected the mesh to the tee posts?

I think I'm going to have to build something like this for my garden, at least the corn bed.

Thanks again!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I also was wondering how many cantaloupe you have planted that are growing up the one trellis.

Also, does anyone know what will happen if you WAY over plant cantaloupe and trellis all the vines up anyways?

~Angela

• penserosa
    15 years ago

I think you'll need to take a trip up north to engineer *my* garden, mister. That is beautiful, and I love the fence! I looked at your instructions and I think I could actually do that. Good work!!

• mike_in_paradise
    15 years ago

Nice Pictures....I wish we could grow melons. I tried some this year but they won't produce by first frost.

As to pest problems my biggest pest problem is pretty big!!!

{{gwi:112638}}
    By mikeinparadise at 2008-08-04

He was over investigating some cabbage I have planted down by the creek...

He seem to prefer destroying the fruit trees and oak and maples that I planted but occasionally has a munch in one of the gardens and seems to like to walk through my strawberry patch.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maureen - we got all kinds of critters around the house. I've seen deer, bobcat, coyote, fox, armadillo, opossums, and every other small critter you could expect - all from the yard. That's why I take my 12 gauge shotgun to the garden with me. The fence around the garden was a necessity.

Sinfonian - I replied to your earlier email, I hope it helped you. The electric fence wire was cut into small pieces, to use as tie wire. The wire is put around the mesh, then thru the holes in the green posts - then looped back around and twisted.

Angela - on this trellis, I have 2 plants on one side, and 3 on the other. Of course - most of them have grown to the top, and i'm letting them come down the other side. This week, i'll probably snip off the ends of the vines - so the plants can focus their energy on the existing fruits, and not more growth.

Penserosa - Thank you for the compliments. There was alot of thought that went into this design. It was truly, an "engineered garden". I've been all over the U.S., and for right now -i'm staying put. I've been to NJ twice, and it was VERY different from where I live! It was cool, though. lol

Mike - my little fence is no match for your critter....may I suggest razor wire? lol

• socalgirl-10
    15 years ago

Yes I am very close to Orange, it is hot here, but honestly we are having a pretty mild Summer, I am waiting to see what Sept. holds, we may have serious heat then.

• penserosa
    15 years ago

EG, Jersey is not a friendly place compared with where I come from (Ohio and Indiana). I was here for a loooooong time before I made peace with it. Now that I kinda "get" NJ folks, I'm quite happy. But it took years!

What instrument do you play?

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Penserosa, I have been playing electric bass guitar for about 11 years. I use a pick - and play only metal songs.

EG

• hellbender
    15 years ago

engineeredgarden:

I love your garden plan. The design is very elegant and functional. You and I are a lot alike. I am an incurable planner and designer. I have been away from gardening for awhile but plan on starting back up when I retire next Spring. Naturally, the researching and planning has begun in earnest.

Tell me what you think about this: I want to plant about 200 sf. Imagine your 100sf trellised garden bed times two. That is to say . . . construct another bed parallel to the first with a 4' path in between. Each end of the path would then be secured using the rabbit wire method you are using now. In this way twice as much planting area can be secured with only about 30% more rabbit wire since the wire along the pathway can now be eliminated without sacrificing a secure garden perimeter. Fully 50% of the planting area would then be accessable by peeling back only a single 4' section of rabbit wire. Of course the remainder is still accessable as before.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hellbender - Thank you for the compliment. I plan everything well in advance. For me, failure is never an option. I build things....alot of things, always by myself. Since the first of March, I have built a 450 sq ft deck, complete with 2 sets of stairs and handrails-the 25 ft box, the 9 ft box, a raised structure for 2 metal storage buildings to sit on that is 8 ft wide and 21 ft long, put together an arrow metal building by myself that is 8 ft x 10 ft, and built a flower bed for my wife that is made from landscaping timbers, is 30" wide, 30 feet long, and 5 timbers high on one end! WHEW!!! All that, plus taking care of the orchard and gardens. I'm worked to death. Before that, I built my own home - that is 1320 sq ft, and I designed it, built all stud walls, did all plumbing, installed 2 split hvac units - (complete, with ductwork and everything), did all electrical installation (including service, all outlets/lighting, phones, cable tv for 4 rooms, and 6 interconnected smoke detectors), and painting. I think this fall, i'm just gonna relax on the deck - and have a few cold ones. I think I deserve it. I also think your plan is an excellent idea. I wouldn't know what to do with all of that space. If you need any help, I'll be glad to give my services. I draw everything I build with Autocad LT 2006, and if you need any of my plans - just let me know.

EG

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

Wowzies!!! That's a lot of building!!! Wanna come build me a house too??? I have some land you can build on ;) I sure wish we didn't agree to let them farm on it, think of the gardening I could be doing!!!!!!!

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

OMG EG, I can't believe you did ALL that! And in such a short timeframe. Sheesh, yeah you deserve a cold one or 1,000 on your new deck overlooking your kingdom!

I may not have the tools you have, but I did a great deal of planning on my garden too. It turned out essentially just how I designed it, though we didn't get too precise on the carpentry because the carpenter in the family didn't think it was that important. Mostly I planned that much because I had an entire winter to do it and nothing but it.

That said, even though I don't do all the work myself, we do all the work ourselves for anything on the house. This was the year for a deck, but the economy's got my nervous and the garden taking my time so it's on hold. This will be the first year with no big projects. hehe.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeni,sinfonian - yeah, my wife had to stop me from building more things. LOL I told her I was wanting to start building a teardrop camper, and she said "you mean, like redo the insides of an old camper?" I said "no, I mean build one from scratch, trailer and all". She said no....Anyway, I've got about 3 things i'm going to build this fall, and then maybe I can just enjoy everything. The house took me along time to build, but - it's really nice. It's only a year old, and has exotic hardwood floors, with every light and plumbing fixture in the house being oil-rubbed bronze. All for only $49/sq ft. It is my greatest project of all time. I build most things alone, about 95% of the time. My cat helps me on all projects. He's my buddy! Anyway, I may not be the best gardener on here, but I can build or repair almost anything. Things that are difficult for most people come pretty easy to me. Not because i'm better, or smarter - but because I have been exposed to certain things for my whole life. If anyone on here ever needs help with anything, please feel free to ask. Just in the last week, I fixed my son's car, my Dad's car, my Dad's truck air conditioning, and my Dad's clothes dryer. I've done things like this my whole life....and yes, i'm kinda weird! LOL And I like having fun!!!!Yay!Wanna see my deck? Here it is!

Now...who's got the beer??????

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Your garden is so beautiful!
    Mike: I had the same problems with short season until I start sfg. This year I planted two pumpkins early, and those buggers have been SO enduring! They say you can't transplant melons and pumpkins, but they've been just fine for me this year. Have you tried all the usual ideas on your thieving pest? Did you try dog urine and all that stuff?
    ROFL EG! I was gonna say "sure you're just gonna sit on your porch this fall". My hubby is like you and if he isn't building something, he's planning something. Used to worry me, but now I'm the evil wife who plants ideas in his head. Right now, I told him, "Hey, I kinda think I'd like to try a greenhouse. How do you think I could build one?" I started telling him my plans and in about a minute he scrapped all of my ideas: heh, he'll start designing it in his head if nowhere else. Next year we put in the deck, and the year after that I'll have my greenhouse, wait and see. He's already planned out the house he wants to build, but no go until he retires. And trust me, I sit him in front of football and make him relax two days a week in the fall, but it ain't easy.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Awesome deck and house!!! I'll bring a 12-pack and be right over...

~Angela

• medontdo
    15 years ago

now that is very awesome!! absolutely love the deck!! now i wish you were the contractor we had instead of the one we had!! we have a deck,its ok but no door, but with the leftover money, we did go out and buy the door we want in there. hubby don't know how to put it in. its in a wall that is one of those retaining walls?? i'd LOVE to take out all of the walls in my house and rearrange them!! LOL my dad say's now medo, ya can't just do that, ya have to support that ceiling. ahhhhh, man!!! LOL
    ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carolyn - i'm glad you liked the pictures. Your husband sounds like a good,hard working person. Is he a redneck, to boot? Just kidding....lol . My wife doesn't plant anything in my head...I just come up with all kinds of crazy ideas, then tell her about them. She freaks out over everything.hee hee

Angela - i'm glad you liked the deck and house. It was all designed by me. I must have redrawn the house plans 30 times, before me and my wife finally came to an agreement.

Medo - thanks for the compliments. I build/repair things for only 2 households...mine, and my parents. I figure I owe it to them for all they've done for me, so I try to make their elderly years as enjoyable as possible. My father told me I should take some time off, and enjoy life. I said that I would, after a few more projects. I have been given the gifts of creating laughter and also do great things with my hands. I truly can't get enough of either. I have just been contacted by my local extension office, and they asked if I was interested in being a volunteer for the 4-H program. What do ya think? Do you think it would be possible for me to entertain a group of kids, and teach them sfg? I'm sure I could keep their interest in it. I could even build a catapult for them! They'd think that was cool! We could even take that guy's dead raccoon from the compost forum - and dispose of it for him....heh

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

ROFL, yes EG, he's kind of a redneck: he hates country music and he's a serious computer geek. Can I ask why you didn't use composite on your deck? We're putting one in next year, and I'm not sure which way we should go. It's supposed to last longer, but we built a wood surround around the playset last year out of composite and when we moved it this year, we found it was completely rotted in the middle. In PNW, we get six to seven months of rain a year, so maybe that's just the way it is.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carolyn - I guess I used wood, because i'm old school - even though i'm still quite young. I've never used the composite stuff before, and really don't know how it compares to the cost of wood, either. You can literally park a car on this deck...it's really strong. Most building codes call for a load capacity rating of between 40 and 50 lbs/sq ft. This one would easily achieve 60. I can help you design one, if you need help.

EG

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

carolyn - too funny! "I'm the evil wife....". I wish I could work that magic. The extent of my husband's skills in the garden is watering - mostly when I don't want him to!

EG - I can't see you taking time off! When you like to do something that others might consider a chore......it's all about the passion! Beautiful job! (P.S. Thanks for taking the "side" trip - I see you have been posting. Hurray! You're a good man Charlie Brown!)

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Maureen. Both for the compliment, as well as making me aware of the "going green" forum. It's got some very interesting topics over there!

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Thank you for the kind offer EG, but all design/building is the hubby's frontier, lol. I get all of the aesthetic input and finishing touches and grunt work (painting, sealing, etc...) I AM going to make sure he sees yours though, lol.

• penserosa
    15 years ago

EG - I don't want to give you a swelled head, so I'm going to ask you a gardening question instead of raving about your beautiful deck. ;-) How much corn do you have in each square? It looks like just 2? I tried 3 this year, my first with corn in the SFG. Getting one ear per stalk, 2nd ear occasionally but usually that one is stunted.

I've got a 1979 Gibson Grabber electric bass that's a mess; it was left in a damp cellar for a year and then never even taken out of the case. Husband thinks the repair will cost more than it's worth.

Now, howzabout some pics of the house itself? :-) I'm really enjoying this thread and all of your creative handiwork.

Pat

• dabbler_wmn
    15 years ago

I am new to the site and here with a request. The photos on this thread led me here. I must do a vegie poster on water-wise gardening at our state fair. It is part of a one-time educational exhibit. No money, no prizes, etc. I need free photos of raised vegetable beds and have not found any except on sites like this. Is there a way to use a couple of the photos (need a newly created or seeded or seedling bed, plus a bed on supports, plus a raised bed on the ground with well developed plants). Should I somehow contact the individuals or is there a photo use policy on the gardenweb that I have not found? Thanks for any help.

• dabbler_wmn
    15 years ago

PS. I don't think anyone mentioned engineer person's owl. That was one of the best parts of the first few photos. Hope it works!

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carolyn - I understand fully, us guys have to build things "our way" lol. If you need any input, just ask.

Penserosa - the plant spacing I used is 1 to 2 per square, according to how many seeds actually germinated. I have a very good friend that did 4 per square, and said that he will never do that again - because it didn't turn out well at all. Gibson makes some very good string instruments, I really don't know what your bass is worth. Why don't you let a musical instrument store look at it? They could give you an estimate. I play only Ibanez, and am very pleased with their stuff, i've had several. I'll see what I can do for the pictures of the house. I don't recall ever taking any, and Gosh....I take pics of EVERYTHING! lol The exterior of the house looks like a barn....heh, and that's what I tell people.." I live in a barn" hee hee

Dabbler - you were the only one that picked up on the owl......very observant. I really don't know about any problems with you using pictures from here, I certainly don't mind....

• medontdo
    15 years ago

that's the thing with gw, people were griping because of them using the pics for their use, so if we had an awesome pic they could use it and make money off of it and there was nothing we could do, so a lady suggested we use links. so that gw could not use them then. for the people who did mind. so you are free to use them. its in the thing apparently. ????? i had heard that from someone else. in another forum that i don't remember where, i'm a forum hopper!! LOL
    heck eg, you should take a break!! building houses and such!! but i agree with maureen, men like you, ya you don't really take breaks, your like my dad, he's very passionate about what he does too. he's 60 something, and when he goes to panama and such, he works with them younger guys, and they say that he works them under the table anytime, we went to kansas city with him and susie, and i tell ya, i could barely keep up with him, tabor and talla got wore out, and they are hyper little turkeys!! when we got back to the hotel room, they crashed!! LOL and they NEVER do that!! LOL he is just on go. i mean, how in the world can ya be like that?? LOL i just see ya finding something ya want to build again and just getting busy with that!! :')

• dabbler_wmn
    15 years ago

I understand the concern, medontdo, about making money off photos. Of course, you can copyright if you want. But I actually came out in the open to describe my request instead of just grabbing some off the site. The site photos would likely not work for commercial use as the person would need the original for clarity (photo sites sell theirs by selling better quality photos than the ones actually on the site). They will be somewhat fuzzy when I print them off on my home computer. Therefore, not commercial quality. And a big thanks to engineeredgarden for permission to use your photos. Yours are the cadillac of SFGs that I have seen--re construction.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i don't have a concern, hmmm.... i was just saying what some of the other people were saying, geeze i'm very lax!! one day i will have an awesome garden!! and now my pics of my kids, hmmm... they''re just to cute!! but in person, they're just terrors, LOL sweet and innocent looking talla, scary as all get out to anyone she knows!! that she Might beat up!! LOL (uhhhh knows really well!! LOL) i feel for her the first time someone puts her in her place though!! ohhhhh my!!
    we killed some squash bugs, and one of my neighbor friends told me to squash them and leave them there, it lets a smell and the others will leave and the new ones won't come there. hmmmm.... so i'm trying it!! LOL

hubs is cleaning up our mess. he's a better yard cleaner than us!! he's really pissed at us, mainly tabor, we're better at doing the "thing" and leaving a mess, LOL he's told tabor to mow down all the mess in the back and that includes the asparagus. ohhhhhhhhhhh boyyyyyyy!!!! but its not my one bed!! so i'm ok with that!! LOL
    he's still not getting the haircut till all the yard work is done. LOL i'm reserving that. LOL ~Medo

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Medo - I have just a few more projects to go, and I will probably hang up my tools for a while. Of course, The 4-H program is wanting me to start a group, and there's no telling what all i'll build for those kids.

Dabbler - thanks for the compliments. Please feel free to use any of my photos for your own purpose.

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

EG, I am not sure when you sleep, or work for that matter, but you are living the life I'd kill to live. I am an untalented musican that loves music, but doesn't have time to learn to play the guitar I bought, or the piano I was given.

We do all the projects around her ourselves, but my dad's a former general contractor and my fatherinlaw's a master carpenter, so I just hold things, run for things and buy lunch.

I don't even have gardening to hold over you. This is my first year and I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

You rock! Litterally and figuratively!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

WOW!! guess what i did last night?? ok you'll never guess!!
    so i watched on youtube on that one video, about the lady who mowed the horse poo. soo i decided to go ahead and do that, well, the ending result is some VERY FINE dirt looking stuff!! and of course it went into the bagger. so i'm SLOWLY filling up one of my beds, it looks so very nice!! hubs about freaked, "its gonna dull the blades!!!!" oh honey its ok, we'll take em off and make them better. LOL but ya, its looking nice!!
    and we smelled great!! LOL just thought i'd share with ya!! Medo

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sinfonian - this will be my final response to this particular thread, and out of respect for you, and your comments/questions - i'll respond. First of all, let me thank you - as one sfg forum member to another, for your contributions to this forum. It's members like you that make this forum worthwhile. I love your blog, and visit it frequently. It's good that you have people that share your passion of gardening. I don't. My faithful cat, is the only thing that has been outside with me, throughout all of the hard, back-breaking work, and also the countless hours spent constructing things in below freezing temperatures. I don't sleep much...4-5 hours on a good night, because of various reasons. The reason that I am very successful at many things - is because I have a drive/motivation about me, unlike most people have ever seen. If I attempt to do something new, it is fully researched, planned, and executed to perfection. This is one of the most prevailant attributes of someone that has OCPD. However, it does come with a price. Failure for me is never an option. Even the smallest mistake torments me like you wouldn't believe. Do a search on OCPD, and you'll understand. Anyway, you're one of my friends on here, and if you ever need any pointers, information, or advice - please let me know. I can tell you how to construct anything.

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

thank goodness your not leaving!! i love coming here to see some of your guy's smiling humour!!

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

I can't let this thread die w/o it first reaching 50 posts. *giggles* Call me DORK!

• jeni3004
    15 years ago

50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as for OCD, yeah not fun. I call myself my own worst enemy. I best not get a new idea in my head any where near bedtime or I don't sleep. ROFL. And cleaning? Yeah, can't just "clean", everything has to be DEEP cleaned. Sounds great right? Well wrong, because when you have 3 boys, a husband who is gone for work mroe than he's home, a dog, and an almost 3000 sq. ft. house, there isn't time to do everything perfect. And its impossible to just settle so I end up behind. LOL

How's this for off topic??

• green_thumb_wannabe
    15 years ago

engineeredgarden,
    I am so impressed with your garden! Being new to SFG, I found your photos to be truly inspiring! I also read your thread about the removable fencing -- wow, what a great design!
    I just have a couple of questions if you don't mind:
    You mentioned that you built the "different" kind of boxes. What does that mean? Do you think your design of the boxes and fencing also worked on a sloped yard?
    I read in the SFG book that trellis should be placed on the northern edge of the garden. Did you do that? I was wondering because you have the trellises on both ends of your garden.

Thanks!
    Sandra

• medontdo
    15 years ago

if he don't answer ya, you'll find him in ot just for us chit chatters. :') i know that for sure :') ~Medo
    ps your not a dork!!! LOL

• hellbender
    15 years ago

Can you tell me more about the fencing you used? It looks like it has about a 2" X 4" grid. What height of fence did you use?

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hellbender - the fencing "holes" are 2"x3" , and comes in a 4ft x 50 ft roll at lowes garden center

EG

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

green thumb wannabe - I'm sorry it's taken so long to answer your questions. I will do that now....
    1. I consider my garden to be different in many ways, but mainly because of design differences. It will definitely work on a sloped yard.
    2. I have 4 trellises, that are spaced 8-9 ft apart, and it they are all positioned as such in the book. I had some reservations about it at first....but everything has done quite well. Next year I will stagger the planting times of eack veggie, because I think it will give even better results if the planting is strategically planned.

EG

• hellbender
    15 years ago

engineeredgarden:

Is it pretty easy to remove the "wings" from the heravy duty T-Posts? It looks like they might come off fairly easily with a chisel and hammer. is that what you did?

• hellbender
    15 years ago

engineeredgarden

What was your reasoning for making two of the trellises much taller.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hellbender - the "wings" are fastened with rivets. I simply removed the "mushroomed" part with a 4-1/2" angle grinder, and drove the rivet out with a thin instrument and hammer.
    The reason that the trellises are different sizes is because the smaller posts were left-over material from another project. I set the 4 corner posts (tall trellises) first, so I could establish a "true square". I was then able to stretch strings from them to line up and set the remaining posts. If you have any more questions, i'll be glad to answer them for you.

EG

Sponsored