Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plant_collector47

HAVE: Fall 2010 etps Mark's list

plant_collector47
13 years ago

Click on the link below to go to my "have" list. I have some new items not listed before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mark's trade list

Comments (14)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

I'm interested in the 'Royalty' crape myrtle.

I've got a small crape myrtle collection that doesn't include 'Royalty'. I know that many of the plants you acquire are special or unusual, but I can't find much info on this one. What makes it special or unusual?

• plant_collector47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brandon,

Looks like you stayed up late tonight also. I don't know that 'Royalty' is special really. I bought it for the flower color which was unusual anyway at that time. There may be more purple colored crape myrtles now available. You may not be able to find much info because it may not be in the market anymore.

Mark

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

I think I am becoming an insomniac. It's a bad habit I have to get out of.

I did see 'Royalty' offered at a few mail-order nurseries. They just didn't seem to have much to say about it. Anyway, if you'd like to trade it for one of the poms, that would be great with me. I still haven't gotten my pom cultivars listed. I'm gonna try to do that this weekend, maybe.

• plant_collector47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brandon,

OK, will put you down for 'Royalty' - the plants are not very big but I think they grow pretty fast.

• tlfox
    13 years ago

Hi Mark! I have questions about a few things on your list. I remember several of these from your spring list and now that summer is almost over, I wanted to see how much they grew. A monster plant would be quite crowded on the long ride home.

Paeonia suffruticosa (tree peony) Â how large is this one?

Hydrangea quercifolia (Oak Leaf) Â how large is this one?

Iochroma ÂRoyal Blue  is this one wintering over outside for you, or do you bring it in?

Dahlia imperialis  did it really get 15 this year? I saw it on your spring list and if itÂs that large, I would like to put my name on the list for the spring swap  I donÂt have any way to move a 15 tree, as beautiful as I am sure it is when it blooms.

Can you recommend which one of these below would grow in a dappled shade area and grow thick enough to make an eyesore of a neighbor disappear into the foliage? I know I don't want bushes - everyone on the other two sides of him have bushes galore - I would like something different.

Arundo donax ÂVariegata (worldÂs tallest grass)
    Arrow bamboo
    Variegated dwarf bamboo

And - Physostegia virginiana (false dragonhead - pink flowers) - for sure would like to have one of those.

I donÂt have many trades worked out yet, but I want to make sure that I have enough space to bring whatever I get home without crowding them and causing them stress. I look forward to hearing back from you. Please take a look at my list and see if there is anything that interests you. Your list is quite a bit above my gardening expertise, but I might have something to peak your interest.

Thanks,
    Tiffany

• plant_collector47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tiffany,

Answers to your questions:

Paeonia suffruticosa - The plant I have for trade is about 1' high - mature plants reach 4-5', I believe.

Hydrangea quercifolia - Plants for trade are about a foot or less; my mature plant is about 5'x5' now.

Iochroma ÂRoyal Blue - This item is not hardy here; I do bring it in. FWIW, being a Nightshade this plant is poisonous also (not to the touch - only if eaten).

Dahlia imperialis - Is now about 10' and will grow a little larger before the frost gets it. It is more like a bamboo than a tree. I have brought single stalks of it to the swap previously so you could easily get it into your car I suspect. Let me know if you want one - I probably won't have more than 1 or 2 for this swap.

Both of the bamboos listed are pretty fast growers (they spread real well) once estabilished. The variegated one has nice, colorful leaves but is a dwarf. You probably would want the arrow bamboo which gets up to 15' or so high. I have both bamboos growing in quite a bit of shade.

Can get you some Physostegia virginiana - more than one if you like it is a real spreader as well.

Will take a look at your list. If I don't see anything I want, I can still get you at least some of the items you asked about; I have given away a number of plants at the swap without getting a trade back. You may also have something later I like.

So let me know what you want in order of preference or any other questions you have.

Mark

• tlfox
    13 years ago

Mark,

In order of preference - I would like:

Physostegia virginiana
    Paeonia suffruticosa
    Hydrangea quercifolia
    Iochroma ÂRoyal Blue (not worried about being poisonous - my kids are teenagers/tweenagers and my dogs are not allowed in my garden - they scare the hummingbirds)
    Dahlia imperialis
    arrow bamboo

I have you down for your requests on my list - and I will bring you a few Pink Ice. You may find a good microclimate that it can handle - I can tell you this, it does not like to be wet once the winter gets here (if you want to try to leave one out).

Thanks again!!!

Tiffany

• plant_collector47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tiffany,

Very good - will try to bring most (if not all) of the items you listed. Hope we get a few more traders before long - not many have posted yet.

Mark

• tlfox
    13 years ago

Mark,

I am hoping for the same. Frances told me that it is quiet like this until the very last minute. I just hope they realize the date has been changed. :( I did send Ashley and Euletta(sp) a message with the date change.

Thanks again!

Tiffany

• plant_collector47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tiffany,

The date is still 10/2, correct? I hope Frances is right about those last minute folks. There are also some
    who do not arrange any "pretrades". You don't know what they may have.

Mark

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Mark, the date is still the 2nd and shouldn't change barring earthquake, tornado, or some other very unusual event. Here is a link to the announcement on the main Tennessee Forum. You should also have gotten an email if you are signed up on the ETPS email list. We aren't able to add new people to the email list right now, but the people that were previously signed up should have gotten the announcement that way too.

Here is a link that might be useful: ***** Fall 2010 East Tennessee Plant Swap *****

• plant_collector47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brandon,

Thanks for the info. I didn't get an email so I guess I'm not signed up but I should be when we can again add names.

MM

• krikit
    13 years ago

Hey Mark - Would like to have #13 & #26 if you don't trade those for something else. I'm bringing you the yellow calla lily that I already owe you, and will try to hunt around and see if there's anything else I might have to offer.

Thanks,
    Frances

• plant_collector47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Frances,

Very Good - put you down for those two. If you don't find anything else to trade, I will always take a nice daylily since you have those listed in your have list.

Mark

Sponsored