Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat2_gw

Beefsteak favorites?

cat2
15 years ago

Anyone have particular favorites in production/size/flavor in red or dark pink? Has anyone tried neves azorean red? Obviously I haven't finalized my own list yet and I'm just curious about what other people like. In flavor I like a bit of acid/strong flavor, and I'm hoping for over 1 lb. a piece.

Comments (17)

• tania_in_vancouver
    15 years ago

...so many good ones out there... not sure where to start :)

Coustralee
    Purple Brandy (a.k.a. Marizol Bratka)
    Red Penna (very good but very low productivity for me)
    Aventuniai (super productive)
    1884 Purple (not the same as '1884')
    Caspian Pink
    Gillogly Pink
    Gogosha
    Heatherington Pink
    Kartofelnyi Malinovyi (yummm!)
    Neves Azorean Red
    Nicholaevna Pink
    Tennessee Britches

Cheers,
    Tania

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Giant Belgium
    Brandy Boy
    Supersteak
    Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red
    any Brandywine variety
    Pink Ponderosa
    Olena Ukrainian (excellent!!)
    German Johnson (the PL variety)

Just to name a few. ;)

Dave

• tania_in_vancouver
    15 years ago

ooops, how could I forget?

Dr. Neal and Dr. Lyle are also great.
    And I'll second Olena Ukrainian.

Tania

• douglas14
    15 years ago

I've tried several, but think Marianna's Peace is the best so far.

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

cat2, I don't think you're going to get much consensus here b'c we all have our favorites and with thousands of varieties available, it shouldn't surprising to see such different lists.

But I will name some of my favorites:

Omes that I introduced I'll star

Reds

*Neves Azorean Red
    Chapman
    Red Penna
    *OTV Brandywine ( with Craig LeHoullier)
    Russian Bogatyr
    *Milka's Red Bulgarian
    Aker's West Virginia
    Rostova, aka Sunset Red Horizon
    Cuostralee
    Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red ( not jumbo)

.......for starters

Pinks:

*Large Pink Bulgarian
    *Omar's Lebanese
    Tidwell German
    *Olena Ukrainian
    Brandywine ( Sudduth/Quisenberry)
    *Soldacki
    Tennessee Britches
    Dr. Lyle
    Dr. Neal
    *Crnkovic Yuglslavian
    Aunt Ginny's Purple
    *Lithuanian
    *Sandul Moldovan

....for starters

Carolyn, who has no doubt forgotten some faves as well. ( smile)

• tom8olvr
    15 years ago

I second Omars Lebanese - but I wouldn't say its *a bit of acid/strong flavor*. I find it to be perfectly balanced... not considered IMO sweet though either... Huh. :)

But it grows whoopers without ANY effort.

• sprtsguy76
    15 years ago

I'll second these pinks- Soldacki, Crinkovic Yugo. and Aunt Ginny's Purple. Allthough non of mine got beefsteak size because of my watering regimen, boy are they good.

Damon

• duderubble
    15 years ago

I'll second these:

From Carolyn's list: Aunt Ginny's Purple & Sandul Moldovan
    these are great on taste but not terribly productive.

I'll also second Brandy Boy which tastes good and is more productive. Since I'm mentioning Hybrids, I always grow a couple of Better Boy because they can be counted on for production and taste very good in a classic garden tomato kind of way.

• lori_ny
    15 years ago

My 2 favorites in the monster-size category are Kellogg's Breakfast and Pineapple.

I know it has a pointy bottom but German Orange Strawberry would be on that list too (if an oxeheart shape is allowed:)

• sautesmom Sacramento
    15 years ago

I'd add Stump of the World to the many yummies posted.

Carla in Sac

• simmran1
    15 years ago

cat2, I have never grown Neves Azorean, but I'm curious why contributors didnÂt recommend ÂBig BeefÂ.
    YouÂre probably not going to harvest a 16 oz., but youÂre going to be close.
    In my growing - the Âtotal yields will make up for individual lack of ounce per fruit.
    Available at most seed sources and also there is a dehybridized version if you prefer open pollinated types.

• weetoots
    15 years ago

Would you recommend a container larger than 5 gal for these big Toms? 7 or 10..

Thanks,

Al

• jigsaw
    15 years ago

Anyone know of a supplier that has Stump Of The World in stock, I would like a few seed to try this one and cant seem to find any supplier that is not out of it, also Indian Stripe. Thanks

• catman529
    15 years ago

White Wonder...not acidic, no real tomato flavor. Will not grow again. Lol

This year I'm actually growing a few good varieties. Can't say how good they are yet cause they haven't set any fruit yet. In fact, they've only set their first true leaves. Looking good so far, I can't wait to make tomato sandwiches...

• azruss
    15 years ago

jigsaw... try www.dianeseeds.com for Stump of the World seeds.

• geeboss
    15 years ago

For simmran1,

Bingster who frequently grow quite a lot of tomatoes has decided to grow just Big Beef and Parks Whopper and his reasoning was "I found that the Big Beef and Whopper give me excellent production and nice big tomatoes." "I tried a lot of different varieties last year...lots of heirlooms ...and was really disappointed with the production I got. All my plants were beautiful but on some I got absolutely no tomatoes. Last year I had 30 containers...60 plants. Will do the same this year." So a serious nod to Big Beef in terms of production and I would thing more than acceptable in terms of taste.

Some of Bingsters Tomatoes growing from last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bingster

• colokid
    15 years ago

geeboss 7, You got my attention with big beef and whopper. With my small garden last year, my notes list those two as the most out standing. That was NE Co with late, cold spring. Big beef was the first tomato I picked, except for stupice of course.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals