Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carolyn, give it your best shot !!!!!

Posted by lubadub 5B PA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 11 at 13:39

Carolyn:

I think I may have reached the peak on my big tomatoes. This tomato was grown this year from the variety Delicious. Yup, the same seed Gordon, your good buddy, used to get a World Record.

Anyway, I think next year, besides growing big, I will try to experience that fantastic taste you keep murmering about. I would like you to list, for me, the 6 best tasting, your expert opinion, tomatoes you know of so I can get some seeds and try them. I know you like more than just 6 but I have limited space and want the very elite taste. This is your opportunity to convert me from big to taste. Don't let me down Carolyn. I am counting on you. Others can chime in too if you think Carolyn is leading me astray. (Smile.)

Marv

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carolyn, give it your best shot !!!!!

That is one ugly monster! :)

Carolyn has posted her favorites of each type/class here many times so you may want to browse through her posts like this one on best Heirlooms if she can't get back to you soon. She also points out that taste is a very personal thing and I agree. What one of us loves may be very bland to you and vice versa. Not to mention the effect that growing conditions has on flavor.

Meanwhile, check out the discussion linked below. It has tons of suggestions in it.

Dave

PS: and don't forget Brandywine and Cherokee Purple as everyone loves both of those.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best tasting tomato discussion

o
RE: Carolyn, give it your best shot !!!!!

I am in a similar position as you in that I want to know the best tasting tomatoes. I have decided on these based on their popularity on this forum and others:

Brandywine Sudduth - pink
Brandywine Landis - red
Cherokee Purple - black
Sun Gold - golden cherry
Kellogg's Breakfast - orange
Brandywine Platfoot - yellow

I am growing them this year, so I will be able to tell for myself whether I agree or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here