Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canning tomatoes

Posted by marycanner 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 15:51

Bought the new Ball complete book of home preserving. Old Ball Blue book was from 1991. First recipe I tried was Bruschetta in a jar. Recipe calls for 9 cups of tomatoes, 2 1/2 cups liquid. States that it makes 7 half pints. Is it a problem that it took 9 half pints to hold recipe, and I had liquid left over. .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canning tomatoes

Post it @ Harvest Forum, where the canning people are..

o

I looked at the recipe, I don't understand how a raw pack of 9C of tomatoes with 2.5C of liquid (even if some evaporates when you boil it) can result in only 7 half-pint jars. Agree post over on Harvest, I know pixie lou has made it (and as I recall didn't care for it) so maybe you can find out if your result is typical.

It sure seems right to me that you packed 9C of tomatoes into 9 half pint jars, then poured what liquid you could fit over them (and did you release air bubbles, top off the jars with more liquid?).

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 18:13

Here you go direct link to the forum.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Forum

o

I would not add water. sounds dangerous to me. I might add vinegar as it is most important to keep the Ph low. adding water could cause a dangerous Ph in the final product. Even with canning tomatoes without anything added some tomatoes require some vinegar to make them safe.

well some people might use lime juice or lemon juice in place of vinegar. but all are acidic. some water can be highly basic in certain parts of the country. I think out West. things are more acid in the East. But everyone must be careful. I like to add a touch of vinegar to all my tomato canning in jars. just to be safe. but then I like low acid tomatoes to grow.

many recipes are dangerous and I would get a new up to date Ball Canning jar book. they sell them in most Wal Mart stores at a discount of some kind.

for safety I prefer to can my tomatoes plain with nothing added to the jar but some vinegar. then I use that to make my recipe when I cook. that way I do not have added ingredients that might cause the entire jar to go bad. not worth the risk to me.

o

No one said anything about water. The liquid called for in the recipe is 1C wine, 1C vinegar, and 1/2C water which is safe. The recipe is from the 2006 Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving which is still considered up to date (I forget when the last Blue Book was published but maybe 2010? They don't actually update it every year).

mary - I didn't see a post over on Harvest - did you get your answer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Bruschetta recipe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here