Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tormato_gw

Tomato seed swap (Round Robin)

tormato
10 years ago

The tomato seed swap is now open for joining.

It can be found in the Round Robin Exchange, at
NEW: Incredible Edibles Totally Tomatoes 2013

Gary

Comments (19)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Direct link.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 Tomato Seed Swap

• helenh
    10 years ago

This was lots of fun last time.

• tormato
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was lots of fun, and lots more, for the host. ;)

• helenh
    10 years ago

I am not supposed to look up tomatoes I want until winter. What will I do for entertainment in January?

• tormato
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You were in last years swap. So, you'll know you'll be looking up the dozens and dozens of varieties you receive that were previously unknown to you. It could stretch into February. ;)

• helenh
    10 years ago

Yeah and I didn't find much about the mudball one.

• tormato
    Original Author
    10 years ago

U2/Elbonian Mud Ball, that's my bad. :(

It originated with me. So, if you happen to have had seeds that germinated, just ask if you want info on it.

Gary

• helenh
    10 years ago

I got some well known tomatoes in the swap that everyone would like. I got enough to plant my 30 acres but my energy did not allow that. I am sorry I did not plant mud ball maybe next year. I was going to just because it is your tomato and I appreciated the swap, but then you described it.

• helenh
    10 years ago

Moving this up so everyone sees it.

• tormato
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Helen,

I'm currently test germinating about 50 seeds, out of about 1,000 that I have. I did not hear back on anyone getting seeds to germinate. I'm also going to test some F3's (2010 seed).

As for the description, almost all black tomatoes taste like that, to me. If you like the taste of black tomatoes, you'd likely like U2/EMB.

Gary

• helenh
    10 years ago

It is easier to look up tomatoes and make orders and make wish lists than to dig holes. For every tomato I plant I have to dig out buckets of rocks and put in mushroom compost. So you have to say your tomato will be the greatest I ever tasted and will smooth out wrinkles for me to dig another hole.

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

Tormato, if you do get some germination I would love to try some ! Blacks are my favs.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I am not in the SEED SWAP but I am interested to know what you gals and guys are after. Just name your favorites , if you will.

• helenh
    10 years ago

Seysonn I am just posting here to keep this at the top. Tormato's swap is linked on the second post in this thread. He has a long list of favorites that people want. You have to read that thread to see what he is doing. Last year was the first time I have ever entered a round robin; it was fun. He is a very funny, mild, patient fellow and I am glad he is doing this for us. It is lots of work for him; I would get it all mixed up.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

helenh, thanks.

The wish list there is as big as any tomato catalog.

I will just procure mine vis Sample Seed site, plus what already i have. I am mostly looking for EARLY and/or DETERMINANTS, DWARFS.

• helenh
    10 years ago

Now that you know about the swap, you might save seeds for next year if there is one. I am not sure anyone will do it next year but it is easy to save seeds just in case.

• tormato
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's just the start of the list.

The final posting will hopefully be soon after November 15th. While I'm compiling the list in alphabetical order, I think there are ~300 varieties just in A to M.

Gary

• tormato
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last call for joining the tomato seed swap. Deadline for me receiving packages is about Dec 1st.

Gary

• karen58_gw
    10 years ago

I would like to join. I was in another seed swap last year but don't see it listed this year so I'm looking for a swap. Thank You.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting