Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pennlion

The plagues began

pennlion
18 years ago

Well back in the winter I indicated an interest in preventing some diseases that affect me here in Raleigh. I was advised to leave Raleigh! But I also was advised to mulch and use compost, to water from bottom, provde ventilation, and use Daconil fungaside. I planted 26 types of Tomatoes. The include all the best tasting varieties that had been discussed on the Tomato forum, and others including some hybrids to assure a crop. So far the experiment is working pretty well.

I have about 10 diseased plants. The primary disease which is killing plants out-right once infected is indicated by wilting of the whole plant and yellowing of the leaves at the same time. The plants grew to 6 feet with robust growth prior to this result. I actually got some fruit to ripen on these plants so have a taste example. The second disease is marked by black areas on the main stems, often beginning near leaf joints and often resulting in stem death. Most plants still have some living stems with tomatoes and are up to 8 ft tall. This disease is slightly more prevalent than the first mentioned.

There was one case of slimey leaves which turned dark and died right away. I sprayed daconil on these and stopped the disease in its tracks. Spraying for the first two doesn't seem to help. I am thinking maybe fusarium wilt is the cause of the first and late blight the second. I have pictures but would have to send to someone via email as I cannot figure out how to get the bits right and attached to forum. It also seems that some of the heirloom varieties are more susceptable than others. I will publish the results of this experiment in details at the end of the season. Anyone have any ideas.

Comments (5)

• jean001
    18 years ago

Sounds like you're right on in your diagnosis.

To confirm, talk to the folks in the Tomato Disease Forum.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/tompests/

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Disease Forum

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Penn,

All you have to do is to look at Craig's current thread in the main forum, he's also in Raleigh, to recognize Fusarium as the main rpoblem.

And it being a systemic disease Daconil is of no use.

But I'm not aware of any Late BLight in the Raleigh area. In the NW part of NC in the hills, yes, but not way East where you are.

black discoloration at the leaf joints is quite a normal thing to see and I can't understand how it is killing the stem with no other symtoms being seen. Other diseases that show true stem lesions do have other symptoms.

YOu know, I do think I remember it was Keith, aka hortist, who told you to leave Raleigh if you wanted no diseases, but he lives in KC although he did live there, but you've got Craig and Lee and Clay and Judy and others who all live in the Raleigh area with whom you can interact re diseases, etc/ And they often post in the main forum about their plants, etc.

Carolyn

• jean001
    18 years ago

Sorry for sending you to the Tom Disease Forum when you're already there!

Shows you what sort of condition I'm in. Problem is I haven't even partied yet. (Sigh)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Sorry for sending you to the Tom Disease Forum when you're already there!

I wondered about that Jean but then said, Oh well. LOL

Carolyn, who hasn't partied today and won't be partying today, LOL So many folks say ooops, you can't get into our house with your walker/ True enough, so can't we move the festivities to the solid garage floor or whatever? I'm really learning about handicapped accessibility and how strongly it can impact ones life.

• Gimme3Steps
    18 years ago

Carolyn, i'll party w/ya, if the Good Lord ever allows it, Anytime, AnyWhere...Lady...))) I Truly appreciate all yo life's efforts, an yo kind way of offering up yo insights, to the World.Fight, dont ever lay down an think u caint overcome, an be Restored, an remember...How many People on this Earth, truly Love an Care about You, that you aint never even met...))) TY...)))

PennLion, you will find, thru Time, that a tomato only needs help, in one area...Disease suppression. If you simply give it good, naturally amended soil, plenty of tilth, an some support, if it has to grow in a congested area, plus mulch it, it will Live a Full, Productive Life. It caint get no simpler than that...))) Best wishes that yo efforts... make You Happy...)))

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider