Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagating bougainvillea

Posted by mogardener z5MO (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 11 at 15:44

I just posted a question re: propagating bougainvillea on the propagation forum. The addy is http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/propa/msg061536066487.html

Please go read my question and give me any advice you can as I'm pretty frustrated right now trying to get new plants.

Thanks.
MOgardener

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagating bougainvillea

One of the most reliable ways of propagating Bougainvillea is by layering. Choose a young, sappy growth and bend it down to ground level. Remove any leaves at this point because you are going to bury it in the soil. You may need to weight it down with a heavy stone to prevent it springing out. After 6-8 weeks the "layer" will have formed roots. At this stage you can snip it off from the main plant and pot it up or replant. You may be able to take more than one layer from a single plant. The only problem with layering bougainvillea is that, because of the size of the plant, sometimes the point of contact with the ground needs to be at some distance from the parent.

o

I've had good success with layering on rosemary so will try it with my bougainvillea. It's in a pot as it wouldn't survive outdoors in the winter.

Thank you.

o

Hi, I have started many boug plants from clippings. I use to follow all the special ways to do it, never worked. I take the clippings when I trim it and stick about 12 clippings in each pot usually about 4 pots with miracle grow flower and garden soil. Then I water daily and here is the hard part, I wait. I wait sometimes for up to a month before I see any growth. Not all take but I get at least 3 per pot. I do that with hibiscus and others too. I don't even take off the leaves, ouch. Just make sure when you use the clipping it is not a newer weak branch, has to be the woody part. To help you can split the end and dip in honey or root hormone growth. I use honey when I have it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here