Ipomoea quamoclit - Cypress Vine mix
Senna alata - Candleabra Bush

o
RE: San Antionio swap wants or have list

My neighbor is looking for:
foxtail fern, plant or seeds.

o

Oh, I would love some foxtail fern, too, if anyone has some.

Here are plants that I have that I can do cuttings or sections from. PLMK if you want some, because I will probably not bring much of these unless someone requests them as they are fairly common:

Rudbeckia fulgida 'goldstrum'?
tall and short mexican petunias
shasta daisy 'white knight'
obedient plant
common purple cone flower
spearmint
peppermint
heart leaf ice plant
jewels of opar
plumgago (blue blooms)
mother of thousands
swedish ivy
spider plants (solid and variegated)
pathos
asparagus fern
mealy cup sage 'blue bedder'

I will be adding to this list as I see how my WSown stuff does.

If you are interested in me setting any of these aside for you. Please email me at tonyarose3@hotmail.com so I can keep better track of the requests. Thanks!

Looking forward to seeing other folks lists!

Tonya

o

I am looking for this honeyscukle, which is not invasive. So she says. This was discussed on Cottage garden.

Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina' (also found under the names L. p. var. serotina 'Florida' or just 'Serotina Florida'

Photobucket

o

If anyone has some purple fountain grass they are splitting I could use some companions to my single specimen I have.

I wish I had more room so I could take some cuttings and pass along some of my favorite plants. My prop cart is already full!

o

I am also willing to trade plants and seeds for any kinds of pots, so please save up and don't throw them away! I'm even interested in the cheapies that plants come in at the nurseries.

I've got lots of WSown plants coming up (over 70 varieties our of 140+ planted so far) so should have a good selection come March. I'll list them here in March when I see which ones survive.

Tonya

o

There's some plants listed to trade, etc. on the Texas exchange page also, plus some pictures from the last swap. So guess it might be a good idea to cross link them.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Antonio haves and wants on Exchange page ...

o
RE: Straight to the point link ...

Sorry. This link takes you straight to the thread about the San Antonio plant swap or SAPS.

Actually I think SAPS is a pretty good name for us since we are sappy slap happy about plant swaps. Hmmm, or maybe HAPS, if you'd rather :-) -- Not that the other suggestions aren't berry berry good! ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Exchange thread ...

o

Now have in addition to other things posted about:

Six: one gal. pots stuffed with Fanick's phlox
Nine: 4 in pots stuffed with good size Coral vine roots
One: small well rooted Thomas Afleck rose bush
One: gal. size cassia that gets tall and vine like
One: five gal size dark red Crape myrtle
One: gal. size Mexican oregano (will try and root more)

Sure is nice to play outside with my 6 month post op. store bought knee!

BTW, out of gal and half gal pots! Now what?

I know! I will ask my neighbors to save half gal milk cartons.

o

Roselee, can I put dibbs on the Mex. Oregano?

Carolyn,
I will have:
plants:
nigella
obedient plant
indigo spires salvia
larkspur
Yellow brugmansia
Cork screw vine (not the sweet scented one unfortuately)
Afican daisy, cream colored

rootings:
Rosette delizy (rose)
Heritage rose

I will come back later after I do a walk through the garden.

Kathy

o

Oh Roseleee, great list. If these are still available, can you put my name on one of each?
Fruit cocktail shrimp plant
pink bleeding heart
coral vine roots
Fanicks phlox

Kathy, would love one of your corkscrew vine (sans scent!)

o

I have a ton of seeds for this pretty Blue Pea vine.

Photobucket

OK, Tonya, I added the corkscrew vine to your list.

o

Tonya, your name is going on one of each of those plants, literally! I put the name on the pot with masking tape and leave them in the van in the 'spoken for' box until you ask me for them.

See ya' there :-)

o

Have: Gregg's mist flower, Conoclinium greggii. the Gulf Fritillaries were all over this last yeat!

Have: white passion vines.

Want: Aristolochia trilobata, large flowered dutchman's vine

Here is a link that might be useful: mist flower

o

I should say the 'pink bleeding heart' I have little starts of is Clerodendrum thomsoniae. It's tender. Mine is still young and I'm keeping it in a large pot so I can drag it in the overwintering house. You could also dig the root ball and bring in. I've done that with the white and red one.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/506/

Scroll down the thread below to see Jim's white and red one and keep scrolling to see the pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clerodendrum thomsoniae, Bleeding heart, Glory bower

o

Will post a have list tomorrow for everyone to look through - need to finish going through everything (almost done). Also doing some pruning to my pink/peach angel trumpets, I can root the cuttings for anyone who asks, otherwise, I'll have to compost them.

Kathy: I would love to try your white passion flower (woundn't happen to be 'Constance Elliott'?)/ Nigella / and corkscrew vine

Tonya: Could I take home one of your obedient plants - always wanted one.

Nicholejean: I would love to swap for your Japanese MG seeds. I have several varieties of MG seeds or if you would rather have plants, just check my list tomorrow

Roselee: I would love to swap succulents and/or agave (check the post tomorrow) for your fruit cocktail shrimp plant, coral vine and bleeding heart.

Vanillalotus: I have a gallon pot of purple fountain grass that you are welcome to. Just let me know.

o

You got 'um Wildflower. By the way, what name shall I put on the pots?

Also I'll have pups of Agave bracteosa 'Calamar' and Agave parrasana 'Meat Claw'. Both stay small and are beautiful accent plants in pots or in the ground. As you can see I clip the pointy tips of 'Meat Claw'.

Also see pix and description on the Yuccado site. Search "agave" and scroll through.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yuccado site

o
RE: Pigeon berry and soap aloe ...

Just ran across the picture of Pigeon berry. I have several in 4 in pots.

Will also bring Soap aloe if anyone wants them.

Click on picture to see it enlarged.

o
RE: Wildflower = Carolyn

Never mind Wildflower.

Found out on the 'Conversations' page that your 'other name' is Carolyn!

o

Carolyn~
I have your name down for the passion vine, nigella and corkscrew vine.
I think the passion vine is Constance Elliot, but the person who gave me my start did not give me the name.

o

HAVE: Three little plants of Caesalpinia mexicana.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caesalpinia mexicana

o

OK guys, here's my HAVE list - and I confess openly that it does amount to the confessions of a plantaholic. It looks like a lot, but what I have listed are my mother plants that I can take cuttings, or they have pups or root divisions ready. There are only a one or few of each - more later in summer if someone misses out this time. I want to stay organized and not forget anything, so if you could e-mail at Carolyn2733@hotmail.com - I can stay on top of everything better. I'm not very good at scrolling or remembering to check all the posts for requests.

Roselee and Kathy - GRACIOUS - Roselee, I'll take you up on both agaves (have just the spot for them). Kathy, is this passi hardy? Not that it matters, just trying to figure out where I'll pot or plant

TROPICAL TREES
- Allspice Tree -Cherry
* Barbados,
*Surinam,
- Guava, Strawberry (4-6" pots)
- Lychee (6" pots)
- Papaya (4" pots)
- (Natal) plum (4"pots)
- Royal Poinciana (1 gallon)

OTHER TROPICALS
-Allamanda, 'Peaches & Cream'
- Bougainvillea, pink, Barbara Karst
- Dragon Fruit (red), pitaya
- Hibiscus
* Mrs. Jimmy Spangler
* Red-Leaf Hibiscus, Red shield
* Variegated hibiscus Snow Queen
- jasmine, 'Maid of Orleans'
- jasmine, Pink Jasmine,
- Snow on the Mountain,
- Snapdragon Tree, Parrot's Beak
-Giant Tropical Blue African Salvia
- Mandevilla, Mandevilla 'Cotton Candy'
- Mandevilla, Mandevilla Sun Parasol Crimson
-Starfish Plant, Cryptanthus 'Red Star'
- Starfish Plant, Cryptanthus bivittatus 'Pink Starlite'

SUCCULENTS AND CACTI
- Agave angustifolia
- Agave, Thorn crested agave, Agave lophantha
- Agave weberi
- Aloe vera (5)
- Flaming Katy (Yellow, Orange, Fuschia pink)
- Orchid cactus Epiphyllum - white
- Orchid cactus Epiphyllum - red
- Starfish Plant Stapelia gigantean

PERENNIALS IN MY YARD (SO THEY ARE HARDY)
- angel trumpet, Brugmansias (pink/peach )
- Asparagus Fern, 'Sprengeri'
- Brazilian Golden Vine, Butterfly Vine
- Bromeliad, Aechmea 'Burgundy'
- bulbine
- Hummingbird plant Dicliptera suberecta
- Ginger, Peach flowering Ginger
- Ginger, Shampoo Ginger,
- Golden Dew Drop Sweet memories
- Grass, Mexican feather grass,
- Grass, purple fountain grass(6) (1 gallon pot)
- Hibiscus, Scarlet Rose Mallow, Texas Star (4" pots)
- Honeysuckle, Cape Honeysuckle
- Jasmine, - Confederate Jasmine
- Mexican Flame Vine
- queens tears (bromeliad), Billbergia nutans
- salvia, Pineapple Sage
- Salvia, Pink Autumn Sage, Salvia greggii 'Pink' 9 (4"pot)
- Yucca, Twistleaf Yucca, (1 gallon pot)

Trees
- Bottlebrush, Crimson Bottlebrush, Callistemon citrinus
- Palms
* Mexican fan (4" pots seedling)
* Queen (4" pots seedling)

HERBS
- Rosemary (Prostrate and Tuscan Blue) - hardy
- Scented geraniums (True Rose, Old Spice, Skeletal Rose) - frost tender
- Lemon Grass (2 - already rooted) - hardy
- Mint, mojito- hardy
- Greek Oregano- hardy
- Spanish Thyme, Cuban Oregano- frost tender
- Vicks plant- frost tender
- Variegated and non variegated Cuban Oregano- frost tender

o

Wow Carolyn, you've kept me very busy the last hour googling your plants; you've got lots of great things!

So far please put me down for these:

Hummingbird plant Dicliptera suberecta
Jasmine, Maid of Orleans
Yucca, Twistleaf Yucca

Already got your name on the agaves you want.

o

Wow Carolyn, what a great list. I'll be googling it too very soon.

In the meantime, I was making room in my beds today so here are some more plants I have to offer:
-maiden grass (2 large clumps, can divide if several people want them)
-dark pink oleander, about 3' tall
-bicolor iris (dietes bicolor0
-forsythia

Happy hunting!

o

Tonya, you can put me down for the bicolor iris. Thanks!

o

Hi Roselee, gotcha down for the iris!

o

Done Roselee - gotcha down for everything.

Tonya - could I try one of each?

Hey Kathy - I do have an Aristolochia grandiflora vine. I bought it at the Natural Gardner in Austin on clearance in November. It had a single flower on it and I was totally mesmerized by it. My kids were equally impressed though for different reasons - they thought it belonged on an Aliens movie. The vine is very young but the roots have finally reached the bottom of the one gallon pot. I'm going to repot it this weekend to help push for a growth spurt. If I get enough growth between now and the swap I can take a cutting for you - I know it's not the exact species you have listed on your wants, but it's close.

o

Carolyn, gotcha down for all 4.

Ok folks, I no longer have the forsythia or oleander and only 1 more bicolor iris.......

o

Carolyn, we also have a swap in Oct. You will have plenty of time to try for a start of the "alien" plant.
So, yes I would like a start if you get one going.

Kathy

o

Well, between too many freezes and not enough watering over the winter, some things aren't looking their best, but I have these so far:
Orange Bulbine
Mountain Mint
White-veined Dutchman's Pipevine, Aristolochia fimbriata
Sweet Violet
Spiderwort
Cedar Sage, Salvia Roemeriana
Prairie Phlox
White Mistflower, Eupatorium havanense-one
Lindheimer's Senna, Cassia Lindheimeri
Flame Acanthus-one
Twistleaf Yucca-one

o

Hi Linda! If you still have these available, I would love them...
sweet violet, spiderwort,cedar sage, prarie phlox and white mist flower

Thanks!

Tonya

o

Hi Kathy,
One "alien" coming up!

Linda,
Could I put dibs in on the flame acanthus?

Add to my haves:
Jerusalem sage
Vinca minor 'Atropurpurea'
Umbrella palm - Cyperus Alternifolius

Thanks,
Carolyn

o

Here's my first list. Will most likely add more as I find more coming up in the garden. If I've already contacted you about things on your list, I probably sent you a personal email with my list.

If you are interested in something from my list, please send me an email. If you don't have my address, click on "my page" next to "castro_gardener" then click "send an email." I look at my email a lot more than I do GardenWeb and this would make it easier for me to answer you about anything on the list.

Some things need to be dug up, so let me know as soon as possible and I'll get it potted so that it will be good in time for the swap.

Banana plants
Ghost plant succulent
Variegated vinca
Society garlic
Crocosmia
White salvia coccinea
Hidden ginger
Salvia involucrata
Salvia madrensis
Root beer plant
Texas red columbine
White crinum seedlings
Ruby grass
Large pink rain lily
Red firecracker plant / Im looking for yellow firecracker
Thryalis
Callisia fragrans Old Mans pipe
Ficus
Cissus quadrangularis / veldt grape
Sanseveria different varieties need to look up
Haworthia window plane plant
Jade
Salvia microphylla red
Donkey ears kalanchoe
Jingle Bells kalanchoe
White epiphyllum /night-blooming cereus
Artillery fern
Aloe vera
Panda Plant kalanchoe tomentosa
Pregnant onion / ornithogalum caudatum
Plectranthus Cuban oregano Variegated
Plectranthus Vicks plant
What looks like a Golden Rain Tree
Crassula / cannot find botanic variety
String of hearts vine
Lindheimers Senna
Dwarf bamboo
Coral bean
Century plant agave
Salvia coccinea cherry blossom
Tropical milkweed / asclepias
Air potato bulbs / dioscorea bulbifera
Ruellia squarrosa

See you soon !

also putting this message on Conversations and Exchanges.

patty

o

Hey Kathy! Looks like we have a nice assortment of "peeps" showing up! I'm sure there are others that have talked about coming that will visit here before 3/21, too.

Anything I can be doing to help you with this, in the meantime? You can reply here or e-mail me. Thanks so much for putting this together. You dah bestest!

Tonya

o

Aww, your are sweet to say that.
I know that Joan and Kate from down the street will also be going.

o

That's great! It will be good to see them again. If you see them, remind 'em to get on here and check out our lists in case they want us to put their names on something.

o
Hints, Etiquette, and Other Stuff

Hello All ! Just a few reminders that will help us all have a nicer swap experience. After 10 years of hostessing and attending these swaps I've learned a lot from others.

When you arrive, please seek out the hostess if we don't greet you first. Especially if you haven't been before. Any of us will help you with any questions you might have. Get a name tag, sign up for door prizes, and if we have one, sign the list for future notifications of swaps.

Don't forget to bring a sack lunch. We'll need sustenance for continued swapping !

We will have door prizes. If you'd like to donate to our stash, please bring a new or gently used gardening item. We usually include things like fertilizer, gloves, tools, outdoor decorations, books, etc.

Garden Junk and Garden Art is also welcome for trading. Hoses, trellises, rusty buckets, signs, you name it ! We've had people bring homemade soap, mosaic pots, and other great items.

We welcome donations to help pay for the rental of the pavilion. Although it is voluntary, please consider that you're leaving the swap with plants that would have cost so much more at a nursery. A few dollars in the jar will go far to help us rent this nice pavilion in the fall.

You may consider bringing cardboard boxes to haul home your booty. You may end up taking home more than you bring, and it's not always easy to get it all back in your car. Packing in boxes will allow you to stack them and keep your plants safe.

Bring something to use for labeling the plants you receive. Old window blinds are excellent for this purpose ! They last forever and they're kept out of landfills.

On that note, please label your plants for others. It saves a lot of time at the swap. You don't have to tell everyone what each plant is, since they already have names on them.

Another helpful hint, which takes more time, but is great to have: consider putting a notebook together of your plants. Add pictures and descriptions of each plant you bring. Over time, you can add to it as you accumulate different types of plants. This also saves time at the swap. Others can view your notebook to see what a certain plant will look like.

While swapping, please don't take plants off other's tables without asking. They may be across the room promising that same plant to someone else. Please find the owner and ask permission. Everyone's different, of course, and may bid you take whatever you like. But it's good to err on the side of caution, and ask anyway.

Plants under the tables are not for swapping. This is where we place the plants we're taking home.

Some plants are special and rare and the swapper may want something special in return. This is understandable. On the other hand, some of us don't always need something in return. Please consider everyone's feelings while swapping.

Last but not least, have a good time. Make new friends ! I've met really great folks at the swaps and we're still swapping 10 years later !!

If you can't make the San Antonio swap, consider the swap just up the road in Buda in April. I'll be there, too.

patty

o

Thanks for posting all that info Patty. Great reminders for those of us who have been before and very important new info for the newbies! It was wonderful looking through your notebook last fall, like a walk through your garden!

Tonya

o

Hi everybody!

I don't have my list of haves ready yet, but I wanted to ask you all about a friend I have. She would like to join us but does not have much in the way of plant material or garden related items to trade. She may have some home made jam to trade or baked goods. She also has quite a few spices that she has bought in bulk. Some of the blends she made herself. She has several chili blends, fajita seasoning and a dip mix/blend.

Just wanted to see if any of you would be interested. It's nice to know ahead of time and not go in cold. This will be her first time to a swap. I know people have encouraged newbies in past swaps to bring things like this to trade. I'd like to know if it's ok this time.

Looking forward to the swap! :-)

o

Homemade jam? Baked goods? Spice mixes? Are you kidding? Don't let her change her mind about wanting to come! Personally, I think she'll be more than welcomed by the swappers! And now you made me hungry just thinking about all that and I haven't even thought about what we're having for dinner yet!

o

I agree with Linda, bring that friend of yours! Sounds like wonderful things to trade!

Of course, now that you've spilled the beans, if she doesn't make it, you'll never hear the end of it! ;-)

o

Trsinc thanks for checking for me on the swap and inviting me.

Linda and nbtonya thanks for the welcome.

I look forward to the swap and meeting new people. I am a novice gardner, fortunately a somewhat better cook...lol. I have pretty much a blank canvas for my front and back yard so the swap will be great even looking at the different plants that do well around this area.

Thanks again!

o

Hi Brenda!

Glad you are coming! You will see a wide variety, that's for sure. (I meant of plants, but the pepes are great, too!)

o

I guess that would actually be spelled "peeps"

o

LOL! I am so thrilled when I see someone else typo, as I do it so often.

Brenda, I am so glad you will be joining us. Come on down!!!!!

We are always willing to enable the newbies.

Kathy

o

Thanks everybody! :-)

o

Oh, if anyone has extra pots they don't need, bring them! Some of us could use some.

o

Here is what I have to bring so far:

Mexican Heather

Morning Light Maiden Grass(scruffy and rootbound)

Viola Hederasea - white

White Iris

Asparagus fern

Common Ice Plant

Arroyo Sweetwood Tree seedlings

Thyme

Oregano

Lavender

Multiplying Onions (aka Egyptian or Walking Onion)

I might have seedlings of some more things at a later date.

o

Hi trsinc,

I'd love to have dibs on a lavendar and a walking onion. I wasn't able to find any info on-line about the viola hederasea. Does it go by any other names?

Tonya

o

Sure thing, nbtonya. I have a few varieties of lavender but it's dark now. The viola only has that name. It's cute and looks like a smaller version of native violet. I'll double check the name.

Sending you an email, so let me know if you don't get it.

:)

o

If you have extra, please put my name on one.

See you there!

Kathy

o

Which one, or ones, do you want your name on Kathy?

o

Kathy, I would love an indigo spires and a heritage rose if you still have any. Is this the heritage rose below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage Rose?

o

How strange, I "know" I posted that I have you down for indigo spires and heritage cuttings. I posted that you should be aware that these are in the process, I hope, of rooting. Not actual bushes.

Also, I typed "Duh" for myself for not stating that I would like to try some sort of lavendar. Which I know nothing about.

Kathy

o

Thanks for re-posting, Kathy. GW has a little ghosty in it, I think.

I'll put your name the lavender. I don't have much experience with it either. I planted some last fall and they have done well so far... There's losts of lavender farms in the Fredericksburg area so I expect them to do well where I live. They should do well for you in your beds that have natives and such.

o

I just may rearrange my son's birthday party to attend this.

I will definitely have some lamb's ear and blue plumbego divisions and sea oats.

I'll get working on a list. I haven't been to a swap in years.

o

Great candespectabilis! Glad you will join us!

I hope to have the rest of my list up within a week or so. I have started planting out some of my wintersown plants so am starting to see what extras I have. Rather than putting up small lists over time, I will put up one "complete" (I hope) list pretty soon.

Tonya

o

What's a child birthday party, compared to a plant swap? LOL!

I hope you will be able to join us.

o

Right. My daughter's birthday was a couple of days before Christmas, so we had all kinds of arrangements during the years as she grew up. I'll just throw in some more things now, before I chicken out.
Red Spider Lillies--I thinned some out, so I have 2 pots with 2 each
Maypop, Passiflora incarnata--one only
Blue Passionflower, Passiflora caerulea--one only
Spotted Bee Balm, Monarda punctata, just one little pot with a few little seedlings
Herba Stella, an edible form of plantain
Golden Groundsel, Packera obovata, one only
Climbing Milkweed, Funastrum cynanchoides--I can spare a few little seedlings
Tahitian Bridal Veil or Purple Jew---I can always bring that!!

o

Linda, please put me down for the Climbing milkweed.

Thank you!

Roselee

o

Linda, if I have anything you want I'd love an herba stella.

o
My list ...

Linda, is there anything among these offerings you'd like to trade for? All are well rooted in 4 in. pots. Fanicks phlox are in quart or larger pots.

Pigeon berry: http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=RIHU2

Fanicks phlox

Coral vine

Caesalpinia mexicana (link with pix above)

Pink bleeding heart

Fruit cocktail shimp

Red shrimp (can dig & bring if anyone wants it)

Soap aloe, large plants: http://www.floridata.com/ref/A/aloe_sap.cfm

Two varieties of small agaves that are great in pots or in the landscape

Guinea pea seeds (very fragrant blooms and edible peas)

Plus almost anything else you've seen me post about of which there is enough to dig up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to see Guinea pea pix on this thread ...

o

trsinc, I'd like multiplying onion, if you have any left. Roselee, I've never grown the Climbing Milkweed before, so can't tell much about it, just that it has pretty flowers in the pictures I've seen. I wouldn't mind trying some Guinea Pea seed...thanks!

o

Okay Linda, gottcha' down for Guinea pea seeds. BTW, I have a lot of them if anybody else wants to play around with them.

So sorry to hear about Carolyn. I had her name on several plants, but I have no doubts that she's attending a much greater Plant Swap.

We love you Carolyn, even before we met you.

o

Sure, Linda. I'll bring you some m. onion. :)

o

• Posted by naomiw31 8b, Leander (N of Au (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 19:58

Quick question - is this for the swap April 4 in Buda? Or is this Patty's swap in San Antonio? Could I get a date/ time for this swap? Thanks from Leander! Naomi

o

Hi Naomi! This thread is for the San Antonio swap on March 21st at MacArthur Park on Loop 410, starting at 9 a.m. Here's a link with all the info...

Hope you can join us!

Here is a link that might be useful: San Antonio plant swap........ on your mark!

o

Thanks Tonya.

Naomi came to our 2nd swap.

o

Here are photos of the Shrimp cocktail shrimp I'll be bringing in four in. pots so y'all will know what it looks like:

o

Very pretty Roselee. Glad I am down for one of those. About how tall does it get?

o

Tonya, the tallest Fruit cocktail shrimp gets is my yard is 30 inches. In a warm winter, such as we've had this year, or even in a colder winter if in a sheltered spot -- it never stops blooming!

It spreads around from the roots making a nice big clump. It also seeds itself around a little, but is never invasive.

It's very drought tolerant and does well with part shade and a little morning sun. It's one of my favorite plants.

o

Thanks Roselee, I'll be thinking about where to put it!

Tonya

o

Here's the list of what I have to offer:

Angel Wing Begonia starts(5)

Honeycomb and other interesting rocks

Mini blind plant tags - some precut/some for diy.

Trades so far:

Kathy - Angel Wing Begonia for Indigo Spires.

Looking for:

Brugmansia - Yes, Dragonfly Wings got me interested in them.

Just about anything else.

btw - my name is Shirley, see you at the swap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angel Wing Begonia

o

Shirley, I have a yellow brug, if you want a couple cuttings.
They root easily. The cuttings that were mailed to me, rooted while in transit.

Kathy

o

Yes, Kathy. That's great. I have a flat honeycomb rock with your name on it. Looks perfect for a downspout.

Wildflower 101 - do you still have Mexican Feather grass? See anything on my (short) list you need?

Some of you have such nice long lists. My perennials are less than a year in the ground, so I'm thinking I need to give them more time before dividing.

o

Wow, honeycomb rocks, that brings back memories! Patty, wasn't it at that first swap at Spicewood that someone brought some of those? I'm a rock nut, I guess. But I don't think we'll see the deluge we had that year.

o

I'm not familiar with honeycomb rocks. Those aren't the kind that float are they?

Okay folks, I think I have my "complete" list together....

My have to swap list (includes some plants previously listed so this is the complete list, so far)

*means let me know ahead of time. These are fairly common, so I probably wont dig any up to bring unless someone requests them.

For those of you who have already requested some of these, you dont need to "re-request". Ive got you down.

Yellow hibiscus NOID
Lemon Balm (Melissa officianalis)
Datura black currant swirl 1
Datura double blue
Daylily indiangiver 1
Daylily hint of blue 2
Cleome hassleriana (spiderflower) - white
Lemon mint (monarda citriodora)
Echinacea merlot
Hollyhock nigra the watchman
China aster ostrich feather mix
Bromeliad NOID 2
Mother of 1,000s
*Mealy cup sage blue bedder
Common purple coneflower (Echinacea)
Black eyed susan (rudbeckia fulgida) 1
Short Mexican petunia
Tall Mexican petunia (cuttings)
Cinnamon basil
Tomato yellow pear 1
Purple hyacinth bean vine
Morning glory Scarlett OHara 1
Soybeans
Shasta Daisy white knight
Hollyhocks single pink
Bicolor iris (dietes bicolor) 2
Maiden grass
*peppermint
*spearmint
*blue plumbago
*jewels of opar
mother of thousands
swedish ivy (cuttings)
spider plants (solid and variegated)
asparagus fern
*obedient plant
heartleaf iceplant (cuttings)
Forsythia - 1
Oleander (dark pink blooms) - 1
maiden grass

I'll try to keep up with any requests on this list, but if you want to make sure I see your request, you can send them to me at tonyarose3@hotmail.com

ONE MORE WEEK!

Tonya

o

Tonya, it is limestone that water has dripped through for eons. Looks sort of like a sea sponge, but is gray rock.
Unless you have lived in the hill country, you probably have not seen it. I never did until I moved out north of SA.

o

Sounds like I should try to pick up a few more rocks to bring. As soon as the creek dries out.....

Here's a link to photos. I tried to put them inside this post, but they kept coming out blank with a message that the photo has moved.

The first rock is in the mailbox strip we are currently reworking. The other is going to the swap.

I'll keep experimenting with the photo post later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocks

o

That is a pretty rock and more rocks will be welcomed!

BTW, if you copy the HTML code and paste it in the body of the message it should work. I took the liberty of copying it from the link you gave.

swap rock

Also I have a couple well rooted Manfreda offshoots if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manfreda

o

Does anyone have Giant turks cap and can bring a cutting to the swap?

o

Everybody, I just want to tell you that I have one heck of a cold going. If I'm not healthy enough to come I'll post on Friday night or Saturday morning. I've had this thing for a week and it just seems to be getting worse.

If I'm feeling just a little bad, I'll probably come but I may not stay for very long. I don't want to get anyone else sick.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up so you wouldn't think I was just bailing, lol.

I have trades arranged with Patty, Roselee, nbTonya, Brenda and Kathy.

Tammy

o

Hey Tammy, I hope you get to feeling better very soon. Let's see, vitamin C, echinacea, chicken soup... Try it all!

Tonya

o

Tammy, I hope you don't have that upper respiratory tract bug that DH and I had last Thanksgiving! It was pretty hard to shake off. On the other hand, when I had my annual physical the next week, still somewhat sick, my cholesterol lab results were very good!
Roselee, could I have a Manfreda, please?

o

Oh, Linda, sorry, I accidentally left you off that list. I've got a trade for you too.

Thanks for the well wishes!

o
RE: San Antonio swap wants or have list

Tue, Mar 17, 09 at 11:21

Hi all - Naomi here. Here's my short list of "Haves" = email me direct at naomiw@austin.rr.com if you want anything. I don't have much since my stuff is just now coming up, but I do have some (I'll also have more for the Buda swap).

Land plants:
Lambs Ear
Bearded Irises (all yellow, lt. purple with yellow throat, dark purple with yellow throat)
Cannas (green with red flowers, variegated with orange flowers, elephant - maroon with red flowers)
Butterfly ginger (white)
Grape hyacinth (muscari)
Oxblood lilies
Brugmansias (don't know colors - will do cuttings)
Plumerias (don't know colors - will do cuttings)
Agave
Pink oxalis
Mystery irises (don't know colors)
Sedum (maroon)
Carolina jessamine (can do cuttings)
White/ yellow honeysuckle (cuttings)
Garlic chives
Spinach
Climbing roses (pink) cuttings
Wandering jew (dark purple)
Trailing rosemary (cuttings)
All colors and types of salvias/ sages (let me know what color you want and how tall and I'll tell you if I have it)
Jewel of Opar (bright green leaf, not the dark green leaf kind)
Blackberry cuttings (thorned)

Pond/ bog plants: (let me know if you want any so I can pot up special for you)
Yellow irises
Lizard's tail
Parrots feather
Water ruellia (purple/ blue)
Blue pickerel
Cattail
Pennywort
Variegated water celery
Umbrella plant
Horsetails
Lizards tail
Water poppy
Lotus (white)
Water lilies (either yellow or white or pink - can't tell colors yet)

Garden/ Plant/ Yard Art stuff:
Black plastic garden pots - all sizes and TONS!
Small fountain (three pots, one pouring into the other - about 2 ft. tall)
Two red wrought iron heart shaped hanging baskets - very shabby rustic country look
One hanging garden chair
TONS of honeycomb limestone

Redworms:
Anyone wants some red wrigglers to start a worm composting bin with? I've got some, as well as a little worm compost if someone wants to trade

Seeds:
All kinds - will bring all of them

My only real want is a yucca plant with a white bloom - of course, I'll more than gladly take anything else too! But please - only things that will survive in the 8a/b zone outside with little to no care and lots of sun - I've got little to no shade in my yard and I've also figured out that I'm a lazy gardener and don't water as often as I need to and I need to stop getting plants that I am not going to take great care of. (Like the plumerias - too much work for me!)

ALthough Patty - I'd love to get a large pink rain lily from you!

Thanks!
Naomi

o

Tue, Mar 17, 09 at 14:32

OK - I've looked through the lists, and now my wants are taking over. So here goes:

Tonya - can I get a plumbago, goldstrum and spearmint from you? (Will also email you)

Roselee: Could I also get a fruit cocktail shrimp plant and a yellow mexican bird of paradise? I have some succulents/ agaves for you if you like.

Patty: Could I also get a white crinum seedling from you?

Just remembered more "haves":
Red and pink/white amaryllis (just a couple of each)
Wood violet
Paperwhite narcissus (I think)
Christmas cactus (that needs a better home)

Thanks!
Naomi

o
RE: San Antonio swap wants or have list

Tue, Mar 17, 09 at 14:41

OK - one more - Roselee, I think I can get some turk's cap for you. I had a bunch and was trying to get rid of it, but it keeps coming back. Let me see if there are any errant ones around. And this is really it for now!

Naomi

o

Gotcha' down for the Manfreda, Linda. As you probably know, it is really an interesting plant that shoots up a five foot tall greenish bloom. You know me - I've got a picture somewhere ...

Thank you Naomi and is that the Giant turks cap? That's the one I'm wanting. And I have you down for the Fruit cocktail shrimp and Mexican yellow bird of paradise that I linked a picture to in one of the threads.

No one has mentioned wanting Soap aloes. I won't bring the big ones if no one speaks for them. But I have some babies I can easily bring.

o

Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 0:21

Roselee - I'm not sure of the difference between regular turks cap and giant turks cap. All I know is this one was here when we bought the house. At the time I thought it was a shrimp plant (i didn't know any better), but I think i remember the blooms pointing up - is that one of the distinguishing characteristics?

And I'd love a soap aloe or two. Can they be planted outside, or do they need to be in a pot and protected?

Thanks!
Naomi

o

Naomi, not sure if the tropical giant turk's cap blooms points up or not, but I know it gets to be a VERY large bush. What sparked my interest in them is that Omar in San Marcos said one bloomed all winter in a pot on his front porch. He just emailed me this morning that he is coming to the swap so I'll ask him to bring me a cutting or two.

The soap aloes do great in the ground in San Antonio and bloom year round in a warm winter. The tips of the plant might get nipped a little, but they soon grow more 'leaves' (or whatever they are called on aloes and agave type plants.) A winter with 5 degree temps might do them in, but we haven't had one of those in a while -- not in a long while! I'll bring you a couple of plants.

See y'all soon.

o

Naomi, I'd like some of your worm compost, if you don't mind. I do have one Twist-leaf Yucca, if you'd like that one, or check my lists.

o

Giant Turk's cap flowers point down. It's a great shade plant. Mine is in a huge pot and it reaches more than 10'.I'm taking some cuttings to the swap. I'm also taking cuttings of yellow climbing rose, empty pots, 1 banana pup, 2 starts of canna "The President" and seedlings of Euphorbia marginata (native shrub.See link). I'm looking for Oxalys, croscomias other than orange and hardy water lilies.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia marginata

o

Unfortunately, my daughter's oral surgery has been rescheduled to tomorrow and I will have to be home with her and DGD all weekend. DD wanted to wait because she knew I wanted to do the plant swap, but if she did, it would put her into May having it done and I didn't want her to wait that long.

So, many thanks for including me and Tammy thank you for inviting me, but I'll have to back out. Come fall, I hope to meet you then.

Brenda

o

I would like some short Mexican Petunia if it is still available. I think I saw that on a list.

I'm new so my list is really short:

I am bringing Angel Wing Begonia, tons of plant tags from mini blinds, and honeycomb rocks. I took a look around and found my variegated Potato Vine is sprouting, so can bring a cutting or two of that. It's a really pretty combo of green, pink, and white. I also have a very tiny shoot of Zebra Grass.

Shirley

Here is a link that might be useful: Zebra Grass

o

Hi Shirley,

I have some short Mexican Petunia that I will put your name on.

Tonya

o

Just found two upright ruffled edge elephant ear bulbs I had set aside weeks ago. Who whats one?

Since Naomi wanted Soap aloes I hauled several large ones out of the compost pile. They are still pretty and green and fixin' to bloom! This is one hardy easy plant! Blooms in sun or shade and winter too -- if it's a warm one like last winter. I'll have a few small ones too.

I'll have several Pigeon berry and Fanick's phlox that no one has spoken for and a few other odd and ends including a miniature weeping crape myrtle that never did much for me (probably not enough sun) so will let someone else give it a chance. A Talinum came up in the same pot along with a mystery plant that needs an ID.

Well, got all y'alls stuff labeled and put in boxes. See you Saturday -- at our happy sappy S.A.P.S :-)

o
RE: Hints, Etiquette, and Other Stuff

Thought I'd repost this as a reminder so you won't forget to bring a lunch and something to drink, mark the plants you are bringing with their names, have some boxes to take your plants home in, a note pad for taking notes on culture, as well as good plant swapping etiquette.

Hints, Etiquette, and Other Stuff

Posted by castro_gardener 8b (My Page) on Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 10:14

Hello All ! Just a few reminders that will help us all have a nicer swap experience. After 10 years of hostessing and attending these swaps I've learned a lot from others.
When you arrive, please seek out the hostess if we don't greet you first. Especially if you haven't been before. Any of us will help you with any questions you might have. Get a name tag, sign up for door prizes, and if we have one, sign the list for future notifications of swaps.

Don't forget to bring a sack lunch. We'll need sustenance for continued swapping !

We will have door prizes. If you'd like to donate to our stash, please bring a new or gently used gardening item. We usually include things like fertilizer, gloves, tools, outdoor decorations, books, etc.

Garden Junk and Garden Art is also welcome for trading. Hoses, trellises, rusty buckets, signs, you name it ! We've had people bring homemade soap, mosaic pots, and other great items.

We welcome donations to help pay for the rental of the pavilion. Although it is voluntary, please consider that you're leaving the swap with plants that would have cost so much more at a nursery. A few dollars in the jar will go far to help us rent this nice pavilion in the fall.

You may consider bringing cardboard boxes to haul home your booty. You may end up taking home more than you bring, and it's not always easy to get it all back in your car. Packing in boxes will allow you to stack them and keep your plants safe.

Bring something to use for labeling the plants you receive. Old window blinds are excellent for this purpose ! They last forever and they're kept out of landfills.

On that note, please label your plants for others. It saves a lot of time at the swap. You don't have to tell everyone what each plant is, since they already have names on them.

Another helpful hint, which takes more time, but is great to have: consider putting a notebook together of your plants. Add pictures and descriptions of each plant you bring. Over time, you can add to it as you accumulate different types of plants. This also saves time at the swap. Others can view your notebook to see what a certain plant will look like.

While swapping, please don't take plants off other's tables without asking. They may be across the room promising that same plant to someone else. Please find the owner and ask permission. Everyone's different, of course, and may bid you take whatever you like. But it's good to err on the side of caution, and ask anyway.

Plants under the tables are not for swapping. This is where we place the plants we're taking home.

Some plants are special and rare and the swapper may want something special in return. This is understandable. On the other hand, some of us don't always need something in return. Please consider everyone's feelings while swapping.

Last but not least, have a good time. Make new friends ! I've met really great folks at the swaps and we're still swapping 10 years later !!

If you can't make the San Antonio swap, consider the swap just up the road in Buda in April. I'll be there, too.

patty

o

Thanks so much Tonya.

Look forward to meeting you.

Shirley

o

Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 0:38

Linda - I'll bring some worm compost for you and I'd love a twist leaf yucca and some bulbine if you have any left (the deer ate all mine)
Omar - I have some pink oxalis and water lilies for you
Roselee - I'd love a ruffled elephant ear bulb

I'll be driving in from Leander, so I may not be there right at nine, but I'll get there as soon as I can so save me some cake, Tonya. :-)

See you all in a couple of days!

Naomi

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 12:10

Ok. Thanks, Naomi. What would you like from my haves? You know what? Never mind, I do have something special for you. You'll love it.

I have 6 huge 100 gallon plastic black pots. Any takers? (giant turk's caps would grow nicely in them...)

See y'all tomorrow.

Omar

o

Naomi, I can bring you both. That's funny...my friend Sheila (who is also coming to the swap tomorrow) said the same thing last week about the deer eating hers! Guess I shouldn't have planted one piece of my bulbine out by the driveway when I dug up a big bunch . Oh well! I had only had it inside my fenced yard before and didn't know.

o

Just wanted to tell you all that I'm feeling better so I'll see you in the a.m. I'm a couple hours away, so I probably won't get there until 10:30 or so.

See ya soon. :-)

o

• Posted by ocgf Z8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 21, 09 at 15:48

I just wanted to thank everybody who attended the swap. It was fun.

Roselee, your trees are already in the ground.

Roselee and Naomi, check the link below for more information about your purple loosestrife. I thought it was a lysimachia but it turned out to be Lythrum salicaria. The other little plant I gave you is variegated Oenanthe.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Lythum salicaria

o

Yes, it was fun!! Thanks to everyone for the lovely plants.

We missed you Kathy. I hope your loved one (was it a pooch or a human? - can't remember) gets to feeling better soon.

o

I had a great time, too. Thanks to everyone for your swaps. DH was a bit surprised when he came back to pick me up. He wasn't sure he could fit everything in the Surburban, but he managed! Looking forward to the fall swap and seeing y'all again!

Tonya

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here