Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seamommy

Why Would This Get Me Down?

seamommy
14 years ago

I posted a question in another forum and got all kinds of flak from the folks over there. Apparently it was a question that all of them had heard at one time or another and they jumped on me like ducks on a june bug. Not one kind word. There was a small amount of helpful information which I hadn't asked for and really didn't need, but why do I care what a bunch of self-absorbed, self-acclaimed experts say?

It just hit me wrong. I asked if jade trees like to be pot bound or not since a new tree that I had just bought seemed to be so. The first responder didn't say yes or no, just, 'what's your hurry? This questions been asked before. If the plant doesn't appear stressed, why don't you just let it settle in for couple months and go do some research and find these things out.' In other words she told me to not bother them with my question, go read a book. Gee, I thought this was what GW was all about.

When I said that I liked to get the experience and opinions of people rather than to research, I think that's what the GW is for, don't you? The next responder said 'No not for me. We help those that help themselves. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask you to go find these things out for yourself.'

I'm not sure I've ever been treated quite so rudely anywhere else in this forum. And for what, A simple question that could have been answered by one person saying, no, they like space. 20 posters never answered the question, but all of them acted like they were very put out that I would ask such a stupid question. I finally got fed up with the attitudes and just said I wouldn't ask any more questions.

Why would this make me feel so sad? I like the gardenweb and have been coming here regularly for seven years. When I found the jade tree I was just so excited and happy to get into another forum that I had only posted to a couple of times before. I thought I was going to find out all about jade from other enthusiasts, that other folks who had them would be eager to share information and experiences. Every little tidbit I got was like pulling teeth from those people. No one wanted to share anything. I read many, many of the previous posts in the forum before I began, there are over 1400 of them, and never saw anything specific about jades being pot-bound.

It just hurt to read the things that they said about me and to me. Why would that bother me so much anyway, it's not like I work with any of those people. How hard is it to give a simple answer in a kind manner, even if it is one that you have given before?

Comments (22)

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

(((Cheryl))), it upset you because it was rude and uncalled for and most of all unexpected. There are a lot of people around GW that are full of themselves in print but deep down they are little people with self esteem issues, some passive aggressive, some just out and out mean and think they are always right.
    I thought that was the benefit of the different forums was to get advice from the experienced also, guess not
    I remember when I was a member the first time before there was a TX forum, there were a lot of mean people.
    That is why I stay here now.

I'm sorry you went through this

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I think its because you put yourself out there... and all you got was humiliated. Its a shame people treat others that way.

Just know, it really wasn't about YOU or your question... it was about them and their own 'nastiness'. Dust yourself off, turn around and never look back. You'll be happier and healthier.

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Sorry you encountered some of the very few unkind people at GW. It is upsetting, and disconcerting, but as malvalena said, it's them not you.
    My very first post was about a lawn tractor we had just bought, and all I got was snide remarks on the tool shed forum. It didn't deter me, and I'm still here, enjoying the posts on several forums.
    Please stick with us--the good guys really ought to outnumber the bad guys, and you are one of the good guys!

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think the good guys do outnumber the bad guys, by a huge margin. Like I said I've been on GW for seven years. Rarely have I seen people gang up on someone like that. One poster who was very caustic went on to comment that since I was offended by what he had written I must have a problem with reading comprehension. Then another guy chimes in and tells me I'm just thin skinned and if I was smart I'd just pay attention to everything all those wise people were telling me. They picked apart my protest word by word and phrase by phrase in quotes and then told me I was just having a bad day.

Oh and they demanded to see a pic of my jade tree. Not a chance! No way was I going to give them any more ammo for another volley of criticism. They were all patting each other on the back for their great posts and their gentlmanly behavior. They were like a pack of dogs all sniffing each other. I've never cared much for cactus and succulents anyway, just too bad jade falls into that category. I'll just have to use the Texas Gardening forum, at least we have friendly people here. Cheryl

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

Yikes!

It got you down because you wandered into a snipy, ugly, snotty place where people gleefully jumped on a newcomer who asked for info/help.

Even the "helpful" ones were condescending, & the guy who posted the pic of his huge jade tree (I've *never* seen a jade plant, no matter what its age, anywhere near that large here in Texas) was showing off, & doing it in such a way as to jeer at your question.

Forget that place;
    post questions right here.

If we don't know the answers, we'll make something up...
    or go over there in a well-behaved group & ask.

Maybe they like cacti because they are prickly themselves & like to stick people.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheryl's post on Cactus Forum

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

There's a lot of animosity between several of the people who replied to your thread;
    there seems to be a competitive feud going on over there.

• Vulture61
    14 years ago

Seamommy, just leave those menopausic hienas alone. I suspect they grow some of their cacti in sensitive and dark areas of their own bodies...

It's just not worth it. Enjoy your jade tree...

Omar

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The funny thing about that huge jade tree is that it's not even HIS! AND, that's not even his pic either. Its a tree in front of some business that someone else just took a picture of and posted in another thread on that forum. He stole the pic, misrepresented it has his plant and his pic. I was mildly amused to learn that he was a thief as well as a jerk. Thanks for all the moral support, folks, Sylvia, you always make me laugh. Cheryl

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I visit several forums here, and some are more friendly than others (most think the landscape forum can be nasty, but I usually enjoy it).

However, the Home Decorating forum is always warning people that the garden forums are mean. Never knew why they said that - till now.

So sorry you found the bad apple. Mean people have a way of flocking together, and obviously they have found a mutual forum to spew their negativity.

In my opinion, the Texas forum, and the Cottage Garden forum are some of the nicest people, so just stick with the ones that are nice, and leave the mean ones to pick at each other like starving vultures.

At least you didn't quit GW. I think some wander in to a bad forum and leave without realizing there is some nice places to post. Hooray for Texans!

• melvalena
    14 years ago

There's a landscape forum??? WOW! A new place to lurk...

:)

14 years ago

Melvalena - just remember, you were warned! haha

I also have found that the Brugmansia forum is one of the nicest forums here.

Isn't it funny how each forum has it's own personality? It would be fun to see what forums everyone goes to, and whether they consider them 'nice' or 'not so much'.

• beachplant
    14 years ago

The bonasi is the worst! They are so rude and obnoxious, I post there to get them upset. One tells you to google everything then she criticizes anyone that says they read anything on the net! Talk about a hypocrite.
    The amaryllis forum, brug and garden junk are all full of great people.
    I'm currently harrassing some idiot that thinks Texas and Ireland! have the same climate. Talk about someone who wants to fight. I'm off there next to add fuel to the fire by posting pics of our "boring" garden and point out it takes more than the Gulf Stream to make a climate. Ireland and Texas I'm still laughing at that one. Then I'm going to the cactus forum & call them out too. I always did like to fight. HOw dare they pick on a Texan!
    Tally HO!

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

The tree forum used to be the worst for me

• justintx
    14 years ago

jolana - amen
    the conifer guys are a little stuffy - you better know the scientific names!! Hard to fault'em for that, but........ lighten up!!
    J.D.

14 years ago

Tally - that is so funny! I would have never thought you were the type to pick a fight! haha

The roses forum is generally nice, but occasionally a couple of posters get into it. Then we lose the posters, which is sad because they generally are much more knowledgeable than people like me that are just there to learn.

I think the written word can be soooo much more irritating. I try to imagine every word being said with a Southern drawl and a big smile. And, I think sometimes Northerners don't mean to be mean, that's just the way they're brought up!

Sorry if I've offended anyone originally from up north. Remember, I wrote these words with a Southern drawl and a big smile! :D

Now I'm just waiting for someone to comeback with "ain't that nice!"

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, well, aren't you just the sweetest thang!?? Cheryl

• beachplant
    14 years ago

I'm the oldest of 5, the youngest is 5 years younger. Mom had 5 preschoolers. I grew up fighting with my siblings. And I'm a redhead with a redhead temper. Plus I just think it's funny, I can imagine them on the other end getting all bent out of shape and turning red. Over? Nothing, stupidity, ignorance. What did Forrest say? Dumb is as dumb does?
    Tally HO!

• pris
    14 years ago

I think beachplant almost touched on the truth. I've noticed a decided animosity toward Texans on more than one forum. It's usually just one or two posters and sometimes it's more geographically general as in "below the Mason-Dixon line." I've only been goaded into replying on one occassion and that was the third time this particular poster repeated the slur. I then stayed away from the forum for a while to recover my decorum.. I really hate being goaded into behaving that way.

• Redthistle
    14 years ago

This is an interesting post because I just invited a long-time friend in California to join Garden Web, but I warned her that there were a few forums that were less than friendly.--The Texas forum was NOT one of them. :-)

They may be really nice people, but I've been ignored on the pond forum, had my character re-designed on the landscaping forum, and got scratched by thorns on the rose forum. But I've also visited all three forums where my post was handled cordially. You never know.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Sometimes name that plant can be testy, I lurk there sometimes and this year I have posted a couple of time for weeds that I have never seen before.
    I think the members that have been there forever are cool tho

• beachplant
    14 years ago

I do miss Spike. Most of those people would have been sent to Disney and never allowed to return! I got sent to Disney for typing I fell on my bu)). It took me awhile to figure out what was going on.

They are just jealous they have to live in the frozen northland, they can't get good chili, we won't let them live here.
    Tally HO!

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

"they have to live in the frozen northland,
    they can't get good chili,
    we won't let them live here"

too bad, 'cause I betcha some good chili would help their grinchy dispositions.