Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Denton County Plant Swap

Posted by melvalena North Texas 7/8 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 10:02

In Case you're wondering, Yes we're on!!
No date has been set.

It depends on how the spring weather goes and how fast our gardens wake up.
Looks like it will be sometime between the end of April and Mid May on a Sunday afternoon so we can avoid the Saturday soccer crowd.

More info coming soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Last year's spring swap thread

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Denton County Plant Swap

Yes, and the weather for most of this week gets us into the swapping mood. I would just like to add that if there are newbies out there wanting to get started, this is a good place for you. Don't worry too much about not having plants to swap, a lot of us with far too many plants would much prefer "yard junk", planters or gardening books in trade. Come anyway and enjoy the fellowship.

o
Sunday, April 29, 2012

The date has been set for Sunday, April 29th from two to four.

Kid Kastle Pavilion
2210 Briarhill Boulevard
Highland Village, TX 75077

Mark your calendars and start your plants you want to trade. You may start listing at any time.............both your "haves" and "wants". Let's tell as many people as we can about this and have another really good swap. Looking forward to seeing the gardeners I know and meeting new ones.

a

o

You do not have to live in Denton County to participate. The name is really just about the location of the swap.

Date: Sunday April 29, 2012
Time: 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Place:
Kid Kastle Pavilion
2210 Briarhill Boulevard
Highland Village, TX 75077

Details about the Denton County Swap and plant swaps in general:
Anyone interested in growing plants is welcome to attend.

There are a few tables and BBQ grill at the pavilion. Parking, rest rooms, and playground close by.

Pot Luck Snacks, so bring a little something snack-ish and what ever you want to drink.

I'll provide coffee service, small plates and napkins.

The little red wagon will be there to help get plants from the parking lot to the Pavaillion. I'm hoping someone brings a pre teen to teen, or spouse to help others with unloading and loading.

If this is your very first plant swap or you are a new gardener, you don't have to bring any plants. But are encouraged to bring items you can trade with. (Candy, pots,
soaps, lotions anything you are willing to trade for plants)

Please be sure to tell everyone that this is your first swap or that you are a newbie to gardening and you will see how nice everyone is and how they make you feel right at home.

The basics:

Bring plants divided from your garden beds, potted up and labeled.
Bring cuttings, labeled of course.
Plants are the stars, but get creative about what else you'd like to swap, such as garden art and sculpture, books, seed packets, extra tools, garden hats, cute pots. Bring your tips, too.

Each person will want to know what they are getting. By they time they get home many have forgotten what the name of the plant is, so please label each item.

Some people note any tips that might help the plant's new owner be successful enough to divide the plant again in a few years. Some traders/swappers print out care sheets for each plant to hand to the new owner. But if you have labeled properly, the new owner can find info about the plant easily on line.

A potted plant has roots. A cutting does not. A cutting stuck in a pot of dirt is not a potted plant. Please do not try to pass one off as such.

When swappers receive plants they always put them under or behind their table.
DO NOT take any plants under tables or on garden carts or wagons. These plants are off limits. Please DO NOT take anything without asking. (unless it is on the free table).

It is good etiquette to ASK if it is OK to take a certain plant.
Sometimes swappers have done "pre-trades" on the internet with other gardeners and they are saving those plants to give to them. Pre Trades should be well marked and set aside but in the chaos of getting to the swap and setting up, some things just don't get done. Always ask.

There will be a designated table for free plants for the taking. These will be extra plants that swappers will bring to give away and no trade is expected.

When marking your plants, you can use permanent ink on popsicle sticks, cut pieces of old blinds, plastic knives, forks or spoons and anything else you can be creative with! Printed labels are fine too.

Garden Swap FAQ:
Should I bring a garden cart or wagon?
Bring a garden cart or wagon to carry your plants back and forth to your vehicle. You will be glad you did!

Should I bring a table and chair?
YES!

What if it rains?
WE WILL BE THERE RAIN OR SHINE! We are die-hard gardeners and the swap will go down regardless!

What is a pre-trade? How do I pre-trade with other gardeners before the plant swap?

A pre-trade is a plant trade made with other gardeners online who are going to the scheduled plant swap. Gardeners are looking for certain plants to swap with other gardeners and agree ahead of time that they will bring those plants to the plant swap for each other.

Does the plant swap cost any money to attend?
ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY IS TO BE EXCHANGED FOR ANYTHING! We allow swapping or trading of plants or garden-related items only!

Door Prizes!! Yes, we like them.

If you want to participate bring a garden related item (not a plant) with a tag on it that says your own name.
We'll pull the tag off and use it to draw names for your choice of what is on the door prize table.
Get it?
It has to have a gift tag with your name on it.
So we can pull them off and use them to draw names. :)
(no one has to keep up with writing down all the names, who has time for that?)

Let the Swapping Begin!!

o

Want to help search out fellow gardeners to attend our swap?

I've made up a flyer for our swap. It prints out on regular sized paper to be cut in 1/2 so you get 2 flyers per page.
It has info about the swap, the Texas Garden Web address and my email address for any questions. I usually print it on bright colored paper.

Last year's swap was made up of people either from this forum or people who got my flyer.
A few weeks before the swap I drove around several neighborhoods close to me and left flyers at every house that looked like someone did some gardening. You'll quickly figure out the 'signs'. :)

Some people I got to visit with, some weren't home. I plan to do it again this year. If you'd like to help pass out flyers in your neighborhood send me an email and I'll send you the flyer to print out.

o

My neighborhood is too scattered, Gail, but I would like to help you.................just let me know when.

o

Carrie, we should pick a day that's not rainy.. but its still too wet to do much in the yard.. like in the next 2 days?? :)

I think its gonna take a week for my yard to dry out!

o

Oh, I just walked around outside, and much of my yard is standing in water..............that takes awhile to dry out even if we get sun and wind.

o

BUMP ............

o

Hey All,This is a list I will be swapping;

Tx Mist Flower
Paper Whites
white cemetary iris
blue and green sedum

I have some other things but I need to see them pop up first,

o

I look forward to seeing you Phyllis!

o

Thanks to Melvalena, I found this place and I am very interested in attending. I have to figure out what I need to bring with me. I have some Ola Vera plants, bougainvillea, bald cypress and some small clematis.

Hope the time and address does not change.

o

Hi Carino,

Glad you found us.
We're locked into that time and place, already paid for. :)
Do you know what kind of clematis you have?

I haven't gotten my list together yet but hope to soon.

o

carino, I would be interested in the bald cypress and clematis.

o

Bringing this to the top as it is time to get our "haves" and "wants" out there. Hopefully, I will get my "Haves" out this week.

o

so glad to hear, theirs a swap near by :)
I need to thin out some irises, will bring to share :)

o

Yeah!!! Olgaflowers made it here!! :)

o

Need to know if anyone is interested in ground cover......I have wooly stemodia and creeping jenny. If you are interested, I will bring some to the swap, but am not going to pot any up unless I know for sure.

o

Carrie, if the wooly stemodia will grow in slightly amended clay AND will tolerate monthly waterings in the summer, I'll gladly take some. I'll endeavor to water it through this summer on a more frequent basis, but can't promise more than that. I know you water more often than that.

I have a very dark purple iris that I bought at Wally-world a few years ago and am thinking of removing from the front yard. Nothing wrong with it, just re-thinking what I want to do with the area. If you want it, let me know.

I have two Henry Duelberg salvias that volunteered and need to be moved, let me know if you have a home for one or both of them.

I have a number of perilla seedlings, not sure what variety, that I can pot up if someone wants them. They were mentioned in last Thursday's Dallas Morning News.

Phyllis, I'd like some white iris and some mist flower, if you have extra and don't want anything I have to trade.

I can also give mint cuttings, but that's all I can guarantee right now.

o

I cannot answer about the wooly stemodia and water, Sarita, because I do water more often that that. However, if you are willing to dig more, come back and get it and water it well until it gets establised. I also have a lot of bluemist flower that has to come out of the bed it is in. I would love the iris and can put it in the new iris bed I made last year..........still has room for a number of them.

o

I'm new to the garden swap scenery but I would like to participate :) I have some spiderwort (Tradescantia virginiana) & a light bluish-purple iris I can bring bareroot. I don't know the iris variety but it's a smaller plant (about 24"). I may have more to bring but I'm not sure what else I can divide yet.

o

I have to apologize, i put the wrong variety of spiderwort. It should be tradescantia humilis. I don't know what i was thinking :)

o

bartenderfenton.. :) Welcome to our little swap world!

How can you tell one from the other?

I have several clumps of one of 'em.. no idea which. I can also divide some if there is interest.

Mine are planted in shade under bradford pear trees, (and at my old house under live oaks in shady yard..) they didn't do any re seeding. They stayed in clumps that got a bit bigger each year.
I love them. Ever green with purple/blue flowers in shade I couldn't ask for more!

o

This is a list of my "haves", but I will need a request from you before I dig and bring to the swap. So, if there is anything on this list you are interested in, please post on this thread.

Bouncing Bet (soapwort)
Bluemist Flower
Ajuga
Creeping Jenny
Wooly Stemodia
Black and Blue Salvia
Artemesia
Cannas
Lady in Red Salvia
Verbena on a Stick
Sedum
Lyre Leaf Sage
Flame Acanthus
Henry Duelberg Salvia
Climbing Pink Fairy Rose

There may be others I run across, but this is all I can think of at the moment. Post your "wants" as soon as possible because I will need to do a lot of this next week.

o

Here's my list, short as it is.

Can dig/divide:
blue spider wort and stachys hummelo (wood betony ) if anyone wants either just let me know. These are not invasive in my shady bed.
red Autumn sage: salvia greggii seedlings.
I'll be digging them and tossing unless someone wants them potted up. They are still quite small.

I have some of what I think is mealy blue sage: strata
I looked all around the base and couldn't find a tag so I'm not sure exactly what it is. It has very light blue and whiteish flowers. Not the dark blue/purple. Its just under 3ft tall. I need to thin that area out, so if you want some, let me know and I'll pot it up for you.

Will be moving some Salvia Black and Blue: Salvia guaranitica --there will be starts of that available if you speak up, I'll pot it up.

5 very small fall blooming asters. They will grow fast once in the ground.

A few rooted shrimp plants that came from Carrie's house last fall.
I've decided to not haul pots around anymore, so I have lots of:
Rooted brugmansia cuttings.. not potted but labeled.

Plumaria cuttings, not potted or rooted. No names, one was yellow and one kinda pinkish/red. No idea which is which at this point.

I also have 2 Golden Celebration roses in ground that need new homes. We'll have to make arrangements to get them moved if anyone wants one or both. These on own root. Rooted for me many years ago.

One potted up Datmansia (a cross between moonflower bush and a brug--) I also have seedlings that I'll pitch if no one asks for one. Have tons of seeds for this as well.
It gets huge and needs full sun, but blooms like crazy and smells divine.

I'll list other things as I find them.

o
correction re mealy blue sage mentioned above

Correction about the mealy blue sage I mentioned.. looking at it in the light (as opposed to the overcast early morning) It is more of a purple-y blue but the the white on it makes it look a lot lighter than the dark purple/blue salvias I also have.

o

I would like a couple of your red salvia greggii please. What would you like from my list???

o

You got it Carrie!
I'd like one of the Flame Acanthus so I can have one on each end of the yard.

o

Saving one for you, and now my list is started.

o

Bringing this up again in the hopes others that plan to come to the swap will get their lists posted.

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 13:23

Right now this is what I can bring.

Alamo Vine
Brugmansia - Super Nova, Double White Species
Brugmansia - 3 small rooted but not potted, these aren't tagged, but came from Carrie
Confederate Rose Hibiscus mutabilis, blooms white turns pink
Euphorbia hypericifolia 'Silver Fog'
Odontonema strictum, red Firespike - 2
Phygelius Capensis Cape Fuchsia root starts
Salvia Vanhouttei seedlings from Carrie's seeds

I'm working on cleaning out the greenhouse and seeing what survived. May find something else to bring later.
We'll be camping starting the 21st, so I won't be on the internet every day, but will be home every few days and check.
I don't plan to dig anything unless I have something on someone's want list.
Carrie, I don't have many, but I could bring you a start of lavender grape scented Iris for your Iris bed if you want it.

o

Ruth, that would be wonderful ............thanks.

o

Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 16:46

Just to clarify, all the plants I posted are ready to bring
to the swap.
I didn't post anything I will have to dig, but will watch want lists and offer if I have something someone is looking for.

o

I just dug up some drawf mondo if anyone wants it.

o

Ruth,
I'd like to try your Cape Fuchsia root starts.

o

Looking forward to seeing this group.
Here is what I have to offer:
1 Curly willow , 1 blue mist flower, 1 black and blue salvia, 8 comphrena - Strawberry Fields; 3 thyme; 3 Greek oragano; 2 small pots with heirloom onion- red cajun
rooted cuttings: 2 dwf ivy, 1 bouganvilla (fuscha); 1 Crepe myrtle (Raspberry Parfait ?) see pic.; 1 pot with 2 plumaria cuttings (pink and not yet leafed out);
seedling: Amarylis - 3 Bolero X unk. red; 2 Lemon/Lime (2011 seeds planted last fall)
Day Lily: try this link to see pictures http://www.daylilydb.com/ These are 2011 seeds planted last Sept. & in gal pots.
New Paradigm X Backyard Trojan (one of my previous seedlings) Nancy Billingslea X Song in My Heart; Etruscan Legacy (dbl) X On Looks Alone; (Blueberries and Cream X Fujitani) X Bold Heritage; Evelyn Kloeris X Infinite Blue; Bold Heritage X unk. (2); Infinite Blue X Cherry Valentine (2); Infinite Blue X Bold Heritage (2) more, if anyone is interested - I'm OUT of room.
THINGS I might WANT:
Roses ( or cuttings) - fragrant, Earthkind quality (tough and disease resistant) Tex. Natives; Garden art??
Weldon

o
RE: Denton Swap dwf mondo

Melvalena, I'll take some dwf mondo. like a box full (lol)
Thanks
Weldon

o

You got it Weldon.. I have the bottom of a walmart bag full. but it can be divided and spread around to fill in an area.

o

My haves: (limited b/c of my decision to let the garden go last summer - the upside is that you know these are crazy drought-tolerant)
* tall purple ruellia
* tall white ruellia (not quite as tall as purple)
* Wandering Jew / purple heart
* fall obedient plant (lavender)
* hens & chicks (unknown variety, all green, up to 15" with blooms popular with bees & wasps in November)

My wants: anything native, drought-tolerant, and butterfly/hummingbird faves
* black & blue salvia
* mistflower
* any native salvias, esp purples
* Melvalena's red salvia greggii? (don't you dare toss those, young lady!)

~ freshair

o

Weldon, I would like a start of the gomphrena please....I think the armadillos rooted all my top spread seed too deep to come up. Little buggers !!!!

Ruth, are your phygelius a different color from the one I have for you??? If so, I would like one as well.

o

Amy, I can get you most of your wants... some are already potted up.

I potted up a bunch of the greggii yesterday.

Carrie, I'll get yours to you this week, I also have a surprise for you. :)

o

Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 23:23

Carrie, I got the Cape Fuchsia roots and and some seeds from a lady in Washington State.
This is her description (The seeds are the same as the rooted shoots I sent labeled NOID or Whidbey. There were no blooms to photograph, but they are some shade of salmon red.)

I thought you might also like the Super Nova and Species brugs. I think that's two that you might not have.

I received a Vintage Bordeaux daylily in a trade that I could also bring if requested.

Melvalena, got you down for a Cape Fuchsia.

o

Ruth, I am requesting the daylily........have a few more spaces to fill in the daylily bed. The brugs would be wonderful as I have only the one white one. I will be bringing what I believe to be seeds of the dianthus you wanted, the passion vine for Dan and the phygelius that you lost last year..............anything else I have that you may want????

And I will need to know no later than Wednesday what others may want off my list as I will be unavailable for digging later in the week. Please read my list and post or let me know via email what you would like. Time is getting short.

o

* tx_ag_95 ~
If Woolly Stemodia is the same as Lamb's Ear, then you *can* grow it. It needs a bit of TLC after transplant, but once its established, you're good. (I'm in Coppell.)

* carrie ~
I don't know how much mistflower Melvalena is bringing for me, but I'll take any you're willing to shove in my direction. ;)

* everyone, re: non-plant material to swap ~
From various cancelled projects, I also have a tire, two pallets, and about 15 cinder blocks. I can bring the tire and pallets with advanced notice, but if you want the cinder blocks, you'll need to pick it up at my house in a vehicle with good suspension. ;)

~ freshair

o

Amy, I'm bringing you a big huge hunk of the Gregg's Blue Mist. I'll dig it up just before I head to the swap.

o

O!M!G!
Is that the fuzzy lavender stuff in your old front yard that is COVERED in butterflies (not currently - can't remember the month)?! I never asked what it was & never recognized it from the car.
Oh, boy! [snoopy happy dance]

The passionflower vine now has a 2" diameter trunk, btw.

I'm hoping to rope the whole gang into coming -- is the area paved? I might have to scout it out to determine whether its wheelchair friendly. #3 can handle some "walking" and a blanket on the ground, but #2 will have to stay in her chair. #1 can help with heavy lifting -- what's the point in having a 16yo boy if you can't get some free labor out of them, right?

o

I will also bring bluemist if you like. I also "pulled" a lot of black and blue salvia today, but it is in water and will be bareroot......cannot pot it for you. Do you want it "as is" ???

o
RE: bareroot

carrie ~
if you're talking to me, i'll take bareroot
~ amy

o

Yes Amy, I think what you're describing is the blue mist.
It gets tons and tons of butterflies.

I'm glad to hear the passion vine is doing so well!

The parking lot is a distance from the pavilion but there's a wide sidewalk between them. You might be better off parking in the second parking lot..not the one next to the school. It might be a bit easier to navigate.

WOW!! 16 years old??? Already???

Getting work out of 'em gets harder as they get older. :(

Look forward to seeing you again.

o

Carrie, your name will go on some good starts of the comphrena. Have plenty! anyone else?

o

Yes Weldon!! ME ME!

o

Yes, freshair, should have said for you. I will bring the bucket of black and blue......there may be as many as fifty plants in it.
Thanks, Weldon, and since no one else has expressed a desire for the daylilies, I can ALWAYS use them.....I do so love daylilies. So, if you want to throw a few of them in ...........would love to have them. I can also bring some zinnia seed called Uproar Rose.....they did well for me last year. It is a tall zinnia with large blooms and bloomed all summer for me. If anyone has an interest, I can pot up a few pink vincas that reseeded for me.

o

Is the Plant Swap on for May 29? Please refresh my senior moment with time and place. Blessings!!!

o
Plant swap April 29th

TXLADY940, it is this coming Sunday, APRIL 29th. Hope you can join us.

o

TXLADY940

Info is in the 3rd and 4th posts above in this thread.
Just scroll up. :)

Hope to see ya there!

o
RE: Extended WANT list

Carrie, Melvalena, the comphrena have your name on them. I've marked 3 pots for each and can get more. No armadillos here! One of the ladies who helps with my wife volunteers at a nursing home and I "facilitate" her generosity. About 3 weeks ago, we got narrow necked bottles and ribbon donated and I cut roses to make 12 - 15 small arrangements for the residents. In June our project is to take small potted plants that can easily be kept in the room. SO we can use any of the following:
plants that will stay relatively small and need little care. (succulants come to mind, but there are numerous others).
Small, 4.5 to 6 inch pots that will look good with a little ribbon and or colored foil.
Ribbon, colored foil or paper to wrap the pots in.
These items will be graciously accepted and bring worlds of good cheer to many who see little of it.
THANKS
btw, my wife is still at home.

o

Weldon, I will look through my stash for small decorative pots and I know I can bring you some ribbon.

I have 3 small spider plants one of which is starting to produce babies.. so there will be more little ones in that bunch soon.

o

I will do the same, Weldon.

o
map

here's a map... the pavilion is right next to the playground, mostly hidden by the tree canopy. it has a blue roof you can see a tiny bit of.

Use the satellite view to see the trees and get a better feel for the area.

As you can see, its a little bit of a haul from either parking lot to the pavilion. There will be some wagons available to help transport plants. Bring flats or boxes to put things in to make it easier on yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: map of swap area

o

I don't have anything to swap, but I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone has.

o

Hi, David, good to meet you........... a lot of the gardeners have mamy plants and are not really looking for any more, but anything garden related is good to swap with them.

o

Hey, David. Looking forward to meeting you. If you look at my post= about 7- 9 posts back - you'll see that I need a lot of none-plant items. Just make sure you get there. I don't like being the only petunia in the onion patch!!! (or does it go the other way)
Thanks Melvalena and Carrie. Anything will be appreciated.

Weldon

o

Does anyone have any Inland Seaoats?

Chasmanthium latifolium

o

I may have one small one, mel............. I am waiting to identify it.

o

I'll wait and watch it with you. :)

o
Door Prize/Gift Drawing!!

If you want to participate in the door prize/gift drawings you need to bring something garden related with a gift tag on it that has YOUR name on it.

I will pull the tags off and use them to hold the drawing. Only people who bring something will get something.

Don't use plants for this.. use garden tools, gloves, bird houses, garden art, kneeling pads, books, decorative pots, or anything a gardener may want/use.

price limit $10 - $15 range.

o

Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 13:59

Updated list

Alamo Vine - 2 years old, will need to repot if requested
Brugmansia - 2 small rooted but not potted, these aren't tagged, but came from Carrie
Confederate Rose Hibiscus mutabilis, blooms white turns pink
Euphorbia hypericifolia 'Silver Fog'
Odontonema strictum, red Firespike - 2
Salvia Vanhouttei seedlings from Carrie's seeds
Phygelius Capensis Cape Fuchsia root starts

Brugmansia - Super Nova & Species - For Carrie
Phygelius Capensis Cape Fuchsia root starts - 1 for Carrie & 1 for Melvalina
Vintage Bordeaux daylily - for Carrie
Grape scented Iris - for Carrie
Did I miss anything??
Anybody else??

I'm working in the yard this afternoon and thinking I may dig a small Sunny Knockout rose

Wants,
Melvalena, I'd like a fall aster if you still have those
If someone has extra Gregg's Blue Mist flower, I'd like one please
Does anyone have a cuttings of Archduke Charles or Souvenir de la Malmaison

o

Ruth, I will bring you blue mist flower and fall aster.

I am impressed that you got the vanhouttei to germinate....way to go ..........mine have returned from roots, but aren't blooming as yet.

o

Ruth,
How much gregg's blue mist do you want? :)

So far I don't think anyone has asked for the fall asters.
When we had the garden hop last fall nearly everyone said they wanted one. :)

I wish I had a good picture of it, this fall I will remember to get one. I will never be with out one ever again!

o

Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 15:53

melvalina, I haven't wanted Gregg's mist flower before because I thought it was invasive, but apparantly the butterflies love it, so I'd like enough to attract them.
We bought a fall aster at Natives of Texas in late October
but it isn't showing any signs of life. I'm afraid it didn't overwinter potted in the greenhouse, and I do love it.
Let me know if I have anything else you'd like.

o

I have grown in in part sun and full sun. It loves full sun.
I haven't found it "invasive".. it just gets HUGE! It is not a plant for a small narrow bed unless you want it to hang over a lot. :)

The stems grow out and out and out. The main part of the plant, where the main roots are, expands more slowly. After it dies back or in very early spring you can take a shovel to it and cut it back a lot. If you do it in the spring those chunks can be re planted or passed on to someone.

I haven't noticed it really rooting along the ground much, when it does its very shallow roots that are easy to yank up if its getting too wide.
Cutting it back.. even in high summer doesn't faze it. It grows right back in plenty of time for the fall migration.

o

Okay, I have both the fall aster and blue mist flower potted up...............do you want them, Ruth, or are you getting yours from Gail????

o

She can have yours.. they're already potted up for her. :)
I bet they have her name on them already!

o

It does, but it really doesn't matter if you guys already had something worked out. As long as she gets one.

o

Melvalena ~
I missed the fall aster in your list. Can you spare me one? Is that the same planted in the hellstrip across from the castle house @ Greenridge & Bethel School? If I get any more plants from you, I'll owe you one of my children.

Ruthz ~
How yellow vs cream are the Sunny Knockouts?

Did someone say Garden Hop????

2 pallets & mucho cinderblocks still waiting for a good home. I'm dismantling my compost pile b/c my compressed L2/3 won't let me work it anymore.

~ freshair

o

I may be interested in the cinder blocks..........need to ask hubby first.

o

freshair. Take a look at my list. I'd be glad to trade for cinder blocks. Use them for raised rain barrels.
ruthz - if you have one available, I'd be interested in a firespike.

o

Weldon & Carrie ~

I have 28 (8"x8"x16") cinderblocks -- depending on how many y'all need, I can help both of you. Also, I don't think I'll be able to get them in my van (unless you just want a couple), so you'll need to follow me home to pick them up or swing by later on -- I'm in Coppell.

Honestly, Weldon, no trade is necessary. If y'all don't take them, I'll just post them on CL for free.

~ Amy

o
Photos

Amy,
its been so long since I've been in the neighborhood so I can't say for sure what is planted at that house but here's a photo of some from Carrie's house. You can click on this one to see it a bit bigger.

Photobucket

These are photos of the plants Weldon has:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
Garden Hop

Yes Amy, last year we didn't have a fall plant swap. The summer was so brutal we were lucky anything survived much less multiplied! Plants were just too stressed by then to even think about dividing them.

So we had a Garden Hop instead. It was fun.
We visited 4 Denton County people's gardens and had dinner at my place.

o

Oh my, those daylilies are gorgeous............take a look at my list, Weldon, and tell me what you want in exchange for one of each of them.

o

Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 12:02

freshair, the Sunny Knockout blooms out yellow, then turns cream but the overall look is more cream
Weldon - I put your name on one of the Firespikes

o

Carrie, The New Paradigm has rust so I will not bring it. My seedlings (2011 seeds planted last Sept. so will not bloom until next year) do not have rust. They are at the back of the house. I will bring some seedlings and let you have first pick!
Thanks ruthz for the firespike.
Gail, is there an electrical plug at the pavillion?

o

Yes Weldon there is a plug at the pavilion. I hope it is working. I'm pretty sure it did last time.

o

Thanks, Weldon.............what would you like from me??

o

Here is my list;

HAVES

1 Red oak (about 3ft red fall color)
1 Bald cypress (3rd year about 4ft tall)
4 small Pink skullcap
4 small Rock rose
1 Stonecrop - Sedum reflexum
4 small John Fannik phlox
2 Calamondin lime seedlings about a year old
2 Tropical Guava seedlings - year and a half old
1 Curry leaf plant
2 small Aloe Vera

I can dig and bring the following;
Dwarf Nandina
Blue mist flower
Salvia 'Henry Duelberg'

Celete fig cuttings

WANTS

Fig cuttings/plants from good tasting fig trees (NOT Celeste)
Plastic pots 1 gallon or larger
Spear mint

o

Nana, are you saying you want mint? I have a lot of chocolate mint.

o

Melva, if you still have salvia greggii to share, I'd like one. One of mine has partly died back and I don't know why. I'm going to cut it back but would like an extra to replace it if necessary...and put elsewhere if not.

Carrie, I can come dig some wooly stemodia in May if you don't have the time/inclination to do it by Sunday. If you have extra chocolate mint, I'd love to try some cuttings and see if I can keep it alive this time. Every time I buy it it seems to die on me. If you want another redbud, I have another seedling...or if anyone else wants a redbud, let me know!

My mint's not coming back as quickly as I'd expected, but I can still pot up the perilla if someone wants it. And if anyone wants an heirloom purple iris or a purple/black iris from Wallyworld, let me know. Carrie, just let me know how many you want. A number of them bloomed this year, so they should transplant well and bloom next spring for you.

If you want something from me, let me know so I can dig it up.

I'd love some mist flower, I love blues and keep looking to add more to the garden.

Nana, I have a fig tree/bush and would gladly give you a cutting, but I don't know how tasty it is. I loved figs when I was a kid, but I can't get excited about this one. My neighbor, on the other hand, picks most of my figs and his wife makes them into a jelly/jam/preserve. It may be that my tastes changed in the last XX years.

o

Hello all,

My name is Baaska. I am new to gardening (and really enjoying it!!!) and I am so glad I found such a lively and passionate community of gardeners!!! This will my first time to plant swapping event.

So here is my list:

I have:

1. One type of a groundcover plant (3 rooted cuttings) that I do not know the name of. I do not nkow

2. Periwinkle (3 rooted cuttings)

3. Can bring asian jasmine cuttings if interested

4. Can bring honeysuckle cuttings if interested

5. I will bring soaps, lotions, good chocolate, and ethnic arts.

I'll take any of the following:

Double knock out roses, clematis, dwarf mondo grass, blue mist (would like to form a hedge on the side of my house), salvia, tulips, red robin/photinia, or any evergreen shrub that grows 4-5 feet tall.

I look forward to meeting you all!

~Baaska

o
Clarification

Re: The groundcover that I did not know its name.
I just found out! It is wintercreeper! I have three rooted cuttings sitting in water (and doing well).

Oh yes, I can also bring english ivy cuttings too, if anyone is interested.

o

Finally can say what I have and it isn't much.

Butterfly bush - think there is 4 growing. Gail do you want 2 of them? or all of them.

Oak tree seedlings lots of them.

1 tree of what I don't know but Carrie can identify.

I wish I had more to offer to many irons in the fire.

On a happier note my Garden Shed will be completed today!!!

I hope they come cause I had problems with the company I hired.

o

Sarita, digging in May will be great ......just let me know when and you can get the blue mist flower and mint at that time. I am through digging for this swap ..cut it off Wednesday.

o

I'm new to this ... and found it completely over whelming with all the names of plants etc , but it sounds wonderful . again like some of the others I don't have anything to swop this year but I will be there !

o

Welcome all you new posters! This is going to be so much fun!
Be sure to label all your plants so everyone knows what they are getting.
Bring a folding table if you have one.. table space is very limited at the pavilion.

Gretchen, 2 butterfly bushes will be fine. I hope your shed gets all finished today!

Sarita, I'll put your name on one of the salvia greggii.

Nana, I have a medium sized pot of mint. I have no idea why, and I'm not sure what kind it is but it just might be spearmint. I smells like it to me.
I think I bought it for using in iced tea then never did.
I'll put your name on it.

I have 2 or 3 blue mist that I will dig up and divide for people. Should be plenty for those who want to get a start of it. It doesn't take much to get a good stand of it in time for the fall migration.

o

Nana, I have 2 spearmint already potted and will bring them for you or who ever else might want them.
Carrie, I'm interested in the wooly stemodia and/or the verbena on a stick. I also have a fan of the daylily Palo Duro Canyon for you.

o

**(copied from other post)**
Weldon I'll hook you up with some Stella de Orro & the unknown oak, Yes Yes Yes to the Plumaria, if no one is asking for the 2nc one I know that Donna would like it!!!!!! Also interested in the comphrena - Strawberry Fields, also any extra daylillies.

Donna or I'm looking for Dark Blue Salvia, Bearded Irises, and well as plant addicts a multitude of other stuff. HAHA

o

Ahh.,.. sorry Debbiedo.. I see you already posted over here!

I was going to post that unless someone wanted those plumaria I wasn't going to even bring them.. glad you spoke up.

o

Got you down for both of those, Weldon...........the stemodia will be bare root..............no time to pot tomorrow. It will be fine like that though.

o

Hi Melvalena,

Is it too late to request:
1. one or two of your Golden Celebration roses,
2. blue salvia, and
3. plumeria?

Would you be interested in ground covers and climbers (english ivy, wintercreeper, honeysuckle, periwinkle)? Some are rooted cuttings in water, some will be just cuttings in water (with root hormone)? I am new to gardening, so I apologize for not having much to swap with you.

~Baaska

o

Baaska,
You are welcome to the roses. We will have to arrange a time for you to come and help dig them up.
They aren't huge, but I won't have time to dig them up before the swap. They will need to be cut back before we dig them up. It won't take too long to do that.

I will bring some blue salvia and some plumaria for you as well. They will not be potted up but it will be easy for you to plant them.

You do not need to swap me anything for them. I am happy to pass them on to someone who wants them. :)

Do you live close to where the swap is being held?

o

I am looking for Vitex for my friend Travis. So if anyone has this plant it would be greatly appreciated.

I think this is going to be a good turn-out and I look forward to meeting everyone.

o

I have Vitex seed I can bring, but the seedling won't start showing up until it gets a little hotter.

o
RE: Last call

Please remember the small decorative pots, or at least small pots that can be "dressed up"; ribbon and clear-colored or foil paper. These are for nursing home "gifts" and prizes.
I supply the plants and one of my wife's caregivers dresses up the pots and takes them to a nursing home to be enjoyed.

o

Carrie, I would love to try your chocolate mint. No need to pot just bare root is fine. Thank you!

tx_ag do you know the variety of fig you have? What color/size is the ripe fruit?

Melvalena, I'd like your mint too. Thank you!

Weldon, I would like one of your mints too. Also, your Thyme and G. Oregano. Thank you!

I have a recipe that uses mint that I like and too much cant hurt!

Gretchen, I have a volunteer Vitex next to my tree that I can bring you. It will be bare root though.

Let me know if you all are interested in anything on my HAVES list.

o

Nana, I have no idea what variety it is, it came with the house. It's a tall and wide open bush, taller than the electrical lines coming to the house and about as wide. The figs are an "average" size, I guess, and I think turn kind of brownish when they're ripe? I wasn't able to get out to look at them last year and my neighbor picks them for his wife to make into jam/jelly for him. I'll keep an eye on them this year and let you know, if you're willing to wait for the cuttings.

o

Thank you, Melvalena! I can help dig them up. I live in Denton.

o

Sarita, that sounds like a brown turkey fig......is the fruit small and sweet? That is absolutely my favorite fig.
Nana, since you don't have an email address listed, why don't you shoot me one?

o

Baaska,

please send me an email, click on my name to find my address.

o

Carrie, they're not real small but I guess they're sweet. I tried one almost 8 years ago and realized that I no longer care for figs. I guess they're about the size of a large egg?

o

It isn't the brown turkey if it is that large.......they are small figs.

o

Thanks for the Vitex.
Baaka I do have salvia that I can dig up.
Gail I am feeling much better today. Food poisoning was bad but I had it mild compared to my son.

Adding to the haves list: shasta daisy.
My garden shed is completed. My husband called and made a dispute with the credit card company and all of a sudden we were on the list to get it done.

o

Glad to hear you're up and at 'em today! YEAHHHH for your shed being completed!

o

i would love a shasta daisey, Gretchen. Didn't know you were ill, but glad to know you are better.

o

In case anyone has a problem finding the place here's my cell phone number:

469-438-7002

Don't forget to scroll back up and re read 3rd and 4th posts. They list all the things you need to bring or do.

I sure hope someone plans on taking some pictures!

o

See Teri's post in discussions.

o

Wow! The plant swap was so much fun. I really enjoyed getting to meet all of you and learn more about gardening.
Thank you Gail, Carrie, Weldon, Ruvan, Gretchen, Bob, Baaska and anybody's name I've forgotten. Thanks for the plants, the advice and most of all, giving me such a warm welcome for my first plant swap.

Gail, I'll contact you about a planting happy hour party at my house soon.

Carrie, I'll get in touch with you some time this week to see about getting some donkey-doo.

Cheers to gardening!

David

o

You are very welcome, David, and thanks to you for all your help. Looking forward to seeing you again.
It was a great swap, and really great to see old friends and meet new ones.............this is what makes swaps so specail.

o

It was great to finally put faces to some of the GW names I chat with, & I came home with a bazillion times more than I brought . . . y'all were incredibly generous!

Now to find a home for each of these lovelies . . .

~ freshair / Amy

o

I had such a blast at the swap, only sorry I didn't get to actually meet or talk with everyone! I think a few escaped that. :)

I was especially glad to see the newbies and some old gardening friends.
I learned that Nana and I were at our first Plant Swap like 10 years ago, it was held at the Lewisville School District Outdoor Learning Center, it was also about the same time I met Carrie, I think.

I went home with less than I took, which was my goal...Still came back with more than I had planned.

Pictures will be posted in the Gallery when I get my hands on them. My friend Kelly took 75 photos so I'll have to go through them and pick the best ones to post.

Thank You everyone! Its you guys who make it such a good swap!

OK get your goodies planted and plan your propagation for the Fall Swap.

o

Photos my friend Kelly took are posted!
There's a thread in the gallery with a link
or you can click below.

If anyone else has photos you'd like me to post on the meet up groups site, just let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Denton County Gardening Meet Up Group Photos

o
Just waving hello!

Been a while but saw this post and could not believe the swap was so close! Hope everyone had fun. Miss ya'll

o

Oh yes, we had fun. Sorry you didn't find us in time to join in.
Keep an eye on this forum and the meet up site for future swaps or garden hops.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here