Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Fall San Antonio Plant Swap Info on Exchanges Forum

We will be having the swap in a new location!

Pictures of location are on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sat. Oct. 8, 2011 SAPS Information on Exchanges Forum

Comments (7)

• meriberi
    12 years ago

newbie question:
    with a little less than 4 months to go, when would you start seeds or cuttings if you want to have something to bring to the swap?

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

I assume that park has on-street parking only?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Meri, I'll be rooting cuttings, digging volunteers, making divisions, saving seeds, and keeping an eye out for plants and other things to trade and offer for door prize from now until a couple of weeks before the swap :-)

Linda, yes -- street parking only. A couple of wagons to haul plants from cars to the pavilion, which is not far the street, will be helpful.

It's a really nice place with big trees and a playground for children.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Meredith, I try to get most things going at least six weeks or more in advance. It's hard to seed plants that hit just right based on so many variables like weather. I started the basil for the spring swap about eight weeks ahead. Three weeks to germinate and five weeks to mature. They turned out a nice size for the swap, but could easily have been too early or late. Each type of plant varies in rate of growth so check the seed pack label and try to guess based on germination or maturity days.

I root cuttings on a regular basis as I prune or just want to start new plants for fun. Soft stem cuttings root faster than woody ones and some plants can take months to show new growth so timing depends on the plant. Also depends on where you are keeping them because it's hot so anything I root now comes inside.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Shirley for providing the answer Meri was looking for :-)

• KittyGardeningCrew
    12 years ago

I have some rocks, if anyone would care to take them off my hands. ;-) I can put some of them in the car, tomorrow morning, Saturday. I have Sweet Basil seeds, Texas Bluebonnet seeds Parlor Palms, several plants of them, and also Mountain Laurel. I can bring some Zenith seeds and some sunflower seeds. I have some Kobacha Squash,a Spring squash. I have a fresh package, never open of Basil Thai Siam Queen, CAT GRASS OATS,can share some of my Cauliflower and Bright Light Swiss Chard.
    The rocks are from my garden in which I dug them from, different sizes. I will not bring them if no one is interested. My number is 210-3873370 if you want to call me.

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    12 years ago

Looking forward to tomorrow. I did find some mini barrel cactus I had babies! I potted them up last week and are ready to move on to new homes. Also, have some slipper orchids,too. Plus, other odds and ends. Some Mex. petunia seeds and I'll look around for more items to bring. See you all.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!