Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerstar_gw

How to grow tree-like jade plants - pruning question

summerstar
11 years ago

I have two jade plants. They are about six inches high, not counting the pots. I put them outside for the summer. The new leaves are much bigger than those that grew indoors; even in a south facing window. Since the new leaves are so large the stems are beginning to sag. I want to grow tree-like jades.

A jade grower on a video said it takes jades a long time to get thick trunks and stems. I'm thinking I should I prune out 2/3 of the side stems that are growing the large leaves and later the last 1/3. Then the trunk and main stems can thicken to support the larger leaves that grow out of doors. Does that make sense to you? I'd sure appreciate your advice.

Comments (15)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

I have had this plant for a very long time. Part of the reason for the leaf size difference is the light intensity. Even growing plants indoors with southern light can't match the out of doors experience. I place all of my jades outside for the summer and see a difference in leaf size. I prune my jade every few years for the very reason you suggest. The stems can't support the weight and begin to cascade downward. This was my year to prune... the pictures are before (March 2012), after (May 2012) and now (August 2012).

{{gwi:608706}}

{{gwi:608709}}

{{gwi:608712}}

• scsva
    11 years ago

Breathtakingly awesome! Thanks for sharing your pictures, Bikerdoc. I strive to get my little jade looking like that someday.

Susan

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Thanks Susan. I don't know I'd go as far as to use the words. "Breathtakingly awesome." It's just a jade and a very old one at that.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

summerstar, I recommend you do a Search on this forum for "Jade" and you will get some great information from real Jade people here before anybody responds to your post.
    Pat

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

I'm curious to know how many people (like Pat) do the actual search of the topic they suggest to search (Jades) before they suggest to someone else to do the GW search.

Real nice Jades to a real person BikerDoc. Also some good feed back and suggestions..

Agrees with the other real person named Josh I too would like to see a pic of summers jades as well even if it's eye candy

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

summer

here is very current thread with lots of photos of various jades...I wonder if you looked at it?

click here to see beautiful jades

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Another thread with great photos & some tips:

more jades here

Pictorial of chopping a jade:

see chopped jades here

...and you can find more, use 'search' box on cacti&succulents forum

• summerstar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in the process of figuring out how to post a picture here. The Jade plant photo I wanted to post is 5.5mb and 5mb is Gardenweb's size limit. I think I have to change this on my camera before I shoot the picture. I thought I could change the size of the photo in my Picasa software program of pictures I've already shot, or maybe in the import process in Gardenweb's photo gallery, but I don't think I can. Once I get it figured out I'll be able to post my pictures on this website. . . Hopefully!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

summer

You can post one photo directly using "Image file to upload (optional)" when you post a follow-up.
    To post multiple photos, you can find instructions here:

multi-photo posting

go to post on Aug. 19 at 16:10, instructions are in bold.
    Rina

• jeffrey_b
    11 years ago

Sometimes the easiest way to grow a tree-like jade is to start with an already large cutting. I have some large cuttings sitting around and I am realizing I will just not have room for all of them once I move my plants inside. If you like, I would be willing to ship them. It's better than throwing them in the trash! If anybody wants a large jade cutting send me a message.

• CorpsmanCooper
    11 years ago

Oddly enough I would like to know the same thing. I want a really big tree like Jade as well. I have the luxury of leave mine out year round down here in Florida.

~Erin~

• noki
    11 years ago

Would starting with one cutting help? Instead of the usual multi plant cluster in which they are typical most often sold?

• americangolden
    11 years ago

Noki,

I would seperate them into one plant per pot.

• Steven Diaz
    8 years ago

Jeffrey_b. I'd love some cuttings but can't seem to message you directly. ?