Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairysoapgirl

First LA Win arrival!! (Pics)

fairysoapgirl
16 years ago

My very first LA purchase was 'Seeing Blue'!

The seller was kind enough to send a bonus with my purchase, which was Spacecoast Surprise Purple! Very Cool!

Here they are!:

{{gwi:959673}}

Seeing Blue:

{{gwi:959674}}

Bonus:

{{gwi:959675}}

All Nested in:

{{gwi:959676}}

{{gwi:959677}}

Comments (33)

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

Oh what a joy it must be to get your new babies.

I did notice a terrible problem in the photo of Seeing Blue. I noticed that you don't have any dirt under your finger nails and that you HAVE FINGER NAILS. Even when I have on gloves I still end up with broken nails and dirt under what use to be fingernails. I'm so jealous of all you daylily people I'm going to post something and see if someone will adopt me.

Just from looking at your photos I need help. I didn't know you were suppose to soak them before you plant them. Gee, I have so much to learn about these beautiful plants.

Thanks for sharing your photos, and good luck with them!
    Marian

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marian - That is SO funny, because I thought to myself "Hmm. I BET someone will notice that my hand is clean and no dirt under the nails!" LOL... I *usually* wear gloves. I finally found a pair that I don't punch holes in the fingers of... they are called "Bionic" made by the same people who make Louisville Slugger stuff for the baseball industry. I swear they have made a TON of difference in how many nails I break and how much I use the nail brush (which sits by the sink).

I included a pic (of my 'clean' hand) so you could see them for real...

{{gwi:959678}}

Here is their website: http://www.bionicgloves.com/gloves/elite/

Now, I did shove so much dirt under my fingernail the other day that the cuticle bled...had little dirt splinters all lodged up in there... owww! Reminded me of why I spent all that money on those darn gloves!

I do a quick (1 hour) soak in a 1-5% bleach solution to get the roots wet after being so dried out from shipping and to make sure that no fungus or bacteria survive that might have grown there during shipping. I also dust (you can see the little paintbrush) with wetable sulfur dust on any of the little broken roots and where the plant got cut from the mother plant. I am by no means an expert, but you should be able to find a lot of info on how to plant DL's on this board!

Thanks for the well wishes!

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Nice ones.....looks like you're off to a good start on the LA....I'm sure you'll be back for more real soon now...if not already!!! :)
    I too wear gloves when I'm working in my garden...no dirt under my nails and I do have nails!!! :) So, it is possible to have longer, manicured nails and garden. I've just finished edgeing "miles" of beds and spreading new mulch in all of them, and not one broken fingernail!! If you'd care to take a peek at what I've been doing, here's a link to my webshots album where todays photos begin with #100-9012. :)
    Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Album

• Nancy
    16 years ago

I won't show you MY nails. I've tried to wear gloves, and sometimes I remember when I'm planting. I CANNOT weed with gloves no matter how much I try. I tend to pull up plants more with gloves.
    Nice plants. I looked up your purchases, I like those dayilies. I haven't had the courage to do a LA purchase. It hasn't been that long since I made my first catalog purchase online. I would like to, but auctions...I don't think my nerves could take it!

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW Jan... you got room to run, girl! Beautiful work! I can't wait to see all that in bloom! Wha Whoo! Margaritas in your yard!

P.S. I have one more LA order coming later this month!

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ngraham - I swear by those gloves... if you happen to be in a store with them... sneak them into the nursery and feel the plants... they have rubberized tips on the fingers that are great.

Most of my LA wins are buy it now items, but the one that I bid on, my heart was racing... LOL and it was a $20 auction!

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

I love this forum, you ladies keep me in stiches. My heart races just when I think I might have some seeds or something in the mail. I can't imagine me on the LA site. The first time I saw LA mentioned I thought someone was either talking about Louisanna, or California. (grin)I had no ideal it was an Lily Auction.

Jan I am going right now to look at your site. Thank you so much for the link. You folks are going to have to spoon feed me until I learn the ropes.

Thanks for being so kind and understanding.
    Marian

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Make that two more LA wins... Muahhh....Ha.... Ha... I couldn't pass up 'Eagle Nest' for $15 bucks!!!!!! A 2007 intro @ $100, and I WANTED it BAD... I know, I know... I said I wouldn't buy a single fan.... but I COULDN'T stop myself... $15!!! Now, provided it comes... it should look like this:

{{gwi:959679}}

Marian, the funniest part about the whole thing was... my heart was pounding and I wasn't even bidding AGAINST anyone... LOL.. I just kept thinking... 'nobody wants this...nobody wants this...' Watch out for that auction... I am telling you! The people on here (you know who you are) are total enablers too! Telling you all kinds of things like - 'it's only money', 'it's living art' and such...

• Nancy
    16 years ago

I'll keep an eye out for those gloves in the spring. Maybe someone will carry them. I found some gloves I almost bought because they felt like they would protect your hands & still be able to feel the plants through them, but they were out of some type of sticky fabic/silicone stuff. The sticky aspect bothered me. I've written down the name so I'll remember! Thanks.
    That is a gorgeous lily, I've been going for a few of that color this year, & I like the eye ringing (whatever you call that), & ruffled on top of that. Sounds like you got a couple of bargains!

• okbt
    16 years ago

Well,it has taken me a year to gain control of myself on the LA.I just put in my max bid and ignore the emails about being outbid.Just delete them,don't even look.Bahhahaha! Did you believe me? Hahaha!No,really,I am almost there.I let a few things go,but am still bidding on around 25 auctions now.Darn that "Wanted"page!They just keep notifying me when plants are listed!

Michelle-I am so jealous!$15!! Good job!
    Betsy

• Nancy Barginear
    16 years ago

I'm so jealous! I want the Spacecoast purple thingy real bad. And sometimes I remember to put on my gloves before plunging my hands into the dirt, and sometimes I don't. I've got to plunge them in tomorrow....have 254 seedlings to plant.

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

Hey Najoba, I can help you out there. I can take some of your seedlings off you hand and you will not have so many to plant. (LOL)

I bet I have 10 pair of gloves and over 2/3rds of the time I don't put them on. I just get started doing something and one things leads to another and before you know it I've got dirt all over me. I guess the best part is the lovely beads around my neck. (LOL) You know the beads of sweat and grim and bugspray and who knows what else. Oh and sometimes when I come in and go to the bathroom, I nearly scare myself to death when I see my reflection in the mirrow. My face will be dirty and have smudges where I've wiped the sweat from my face with my dirty hand. Ok, I know most of ya'll would never do anything like that. I've tried keeping a towel with me, I always lay it down somewhere and it's never where I need it.

Fairy Girl, you have got to be kidding me. You got that beautiful daylily for $15...what a steal.

Ok, one more question, do those daylilies you buy come with those nice little labels or do you make them yourself. I told ya'll I have alot to learn.

Thanks for being so understanding and thanks for brings smiles to my face each and everyday.

Marian

• fantasylilies
    16 years ago

I had to join in on this one - I love to garden all day and my husband says I'm not happy unless I have dirt ALL over me!! I can't keep any fingernails at all, have 30 pairs of gloves all over the yard and won't wear them! I just need to "feel" the dirt when I plant!

Anyone have suggestions on what to use if we see Rust on any of our new LA fans???

Chris in CA

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ngraham - I tried those sticky kind - they do allow you to feel the plants/dirt, but I stuck my finger through one after about 4 wears... :o( Not worth the $$.

Betsy - I am trying NOT to add things to that dang 'wanted' page, because then I will just get those reminder emails! I really did have that Eagle Nest on my list - I kept looking at it, thinking...no way, I CAN'T spend $100! But, I did break my single fan rule... hopefully it will make it. $15 for a beauty makes it worth the risk. Now all I have to do it look out for YOU on the LA! :o)

Najoba - You live here in TX, and somewhere in 8b, so you probably are close enough to trade. I am sure it will eventually be big enough! Seems like it is growing like gangbusters (2" of growth since I put it in on Thurs). Seems like I remember to wear my gloves when I already have dirt under nails! Oh yeah, my gloves! LOL. 254 SEEDLINGS!! Holy Cow!

lovelyiris - I always end up with dirt all over... I have learned to take a towel out with me, and one of the master gardeners I met suggested to use an 'old style' tea towel... remember the ones that had the crochet loop on the end to hook to your drawers? You hook it to your belt loop instead. BRILLIANT!!! Then you don't loose it.

I put together the labels myself. I buy the metal part from Paw Paw Everlast Label Company. They only do orders through the mail, but they ship fast and the labels are great. Then I use a Brother Label Maker which has industrial strength tape for use outside. It seems to make it through our tough summer heat and cold snows... It took me a while to figure out how to work it, but it makes great labels. If you end up using this combo, email me and I can tell you what font size etc.. fits on those labels.

fantasylilies - when I bought a local DL, it came with rust. Thankfully, it was all by itself when it developed this problem. I did a ton of research online and found through a couple of studies (here is one) that there are a couple of fungicides that work pretty well on rust. I can't remember them all, but I ended up with the second choice on the list (because it was all I could find available) which was chlorathalonil. I pulled all leaves that had visible signs of rust and then treated with the fungicide. It only took me one treatment to get it under control, so maybe it wasn't that bad of an infection. Good luck!

• fantasylilies
    16 years ago

Thank you Fairysoapgirl for the info on rust and labeling!! I don't know if you all feel that, for me at least, it is hard to distinguish "Rust" from just normal streaking caused by the sprinklers or slugs?? I do the "eyeball" test each morning with "?"!!

Regarding labels - I'm thinking of laminating small color picture labels of photos of the crossed DL's - (so easy to cut & copy of the LA) what does everyone think of that idea??

-Chris in CA

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chris,
    You can tell if you have rust:

It looks like rust - just like on an old car. It forms as little pustules... not a total color change on the leaf per say...

Take a tissue and run it up and down the leaf - if the rusty color comes off on the tissue, you probably have rust.

• fantasylilies
    16 years ago

Thanks again fairysoapgirl! I find this rust issue so difficult. Earlier this year I bought a fan of "Halloween Masquerade", (very rary really), and was so excited to see it bloom, but it seemed to develope rust. I sprayed it for weeks, and the rust seemed to clear up, but the fan never bloomed and never grew!! It is still a little "baby fan" size. Pooo! Every single other fan I bought this year bloomed beautifully and grew much larger. Hoping it grows out of it!!
    -Chris in CA

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Let me prefice by saying, I am NO expert - I am pretty new to DLs in fact. But, from research and the experience of others shared here, I have learned a ton. My understanding of rust (and my one personal experience) is that it does not necessarily effect the performance of your plants. Now, I guess if the whole plant was taken over by it, I am sure a fungus could slow down development (just common sense type reasoning). Do you think you could post a picture of what you've got going on? There are a few other things it might be, and people here are pretty good at diagnosis. Or, it might even be that 'Halloween Masquerade' is a slow increaser/grower. You'd have to ask around and see who else might have experience with it. It is also my understanding that it is pretty normal for a new plant not to bloom in its first year. So, it could be doing just fine and storing up energy for next year when it will bloom.

Here are a few pictures of some of the things that affect daylilies:

RUST

{{gwi:959680}}

SPRING SICKNESS

{{gwi:959682}}

LEAF STREAK

{{gwi:959684}}

• fantasylilies
    16 years ago

Thanks again Fairysoapgirl! I did see these pics on the web when I researched 'rust' - I still find it duanting though, a thin line between what looks like 'leaf streak' and some of the shots of 'rust'. Anyway, great idea to share a pic of my little "Halloween Masquerade" fan and ask if anyone else has this DL!! How do we drop in photos on this forum??

-Chris in CA

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How to post photos:

Get a free account at Photobucket. It is easy to use and everyone here knows how to help you. It should guide you through how to use it, but here are some links on this forum if you have trouble:

Here
    Here
    And Here

• fantasylilies
    16 years ago

OK- here goes pics!

This is the little "Halloween Masquerade" that has been this size all year long.........

This is "Meet Joe Black", which I highly recommend, great flowers and great increaser!!

Thanks again Fairysoapgirl, for saving the day!!

-Chris in CA

• smithaven
    16 years ago

To Chris in CA regarding laminating pictures for identification. We haven't done this personally but did visit a daylily seller who used this option. It was good in the beginning but the pictures faded quite a bit over the course of one summer.

Janet

• fantasylilies
    16 years ago

Hi Janet - yeah, I'm thinking you're right about that - I might just file them in a special binder instead and use markers in the beds!

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Michelle, I have a lot of river rock so I decided to use some of it for plant markers. I use a paint marker. Nothing fancy but it works. I have problems with my dogs knocking over tags and out front I have a critters running around never know when one might run off with the plastic markers.

This moth liked the rocks too.

• fantasylilies
    16 years ago

MikeandBarb-brilliant idea!! Never thought about stones marked - I'm going to try that!! That's an incredible moth, by the way!!

Chris in CA

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barb - Cool Moth! The rocks are a great idea, as long as they are not rolling stones! :o) Looks like the foliage on your Marietta order is coming in nicely. How many ended up needing replacement?

Chris - Good job posting pictures! Your 'Halloween Masquerade' looks good to me... just little. But get that snail away from him!! Some plants just have small fans... you should see my Itty Bitty Blue... lots of fans, but all itty bitty, just as the name describes!

• fantasylilies
    16 years ago

Fairysoapgirl - Thank you Obi-Wan of photos :)))
    Funny about small fans- I also got "Francois Verheart" this year and it has very delicate, small fans. I can hardly wait to see that one come out - that's the coloring I'm trying for in the seed crosses I bought this year! On the other hand, I just got a clump of "Phamtom of the Opera" and its going like a 'bat otta hell' with huge leaves!!

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I am hardly Obi-Wan... he was a master! :o) Really, I just wanted to be able to see pictures of your plants! See... it's all selfish motivations... I have a few new cultivars from the Shooter's, Stargate Explosion and Catnap Blues that have very large fans. I also have Pancho Villa that is growing a ton, and Cousin Jewel is also theirs and it is trying to bloom! I wonder if their plants are just perfect for my climate...they sure seem to like it here.

Ooooo...Phantom looks niiiiice....

• fantasylilies
    16 years ago

FSG - my new nickname for you! Yes, I'd wanted Phantom all year, and it popped up on the LA. It was over Labor Day and I lucked out that everybody was busy I guess, and I won!! I'll post pics of it as soon as it blooms!

Don't you wish that the hybridizer's would shoot the DL's in the garden in natural light, so we can see what they really look like, instread of a LA DEE DA photoshop Hollywood version........! Guidry's Daylily Garden has fabulous REAL shots of many of these, and it helps to see what you're really getting I feel (especially for $200 or so...!)

Chris in CA

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Hey Michelle, Only four needed to be replaced and they came in last week. I planted those in the ground. Hope they like were I put them.

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry... had to reorganize my pictures...

This order was from tbeachner on the LA

Here they are again:

Seeing Blue:

Bonus: Spacecoast Surprise Purple

THE Bionic Glove:

{{gwi:959696}}

Pic of spring sickness:

Leafstreak:

Rust:

• berrytea4me
    16 years ago

OK, this really confused me until I looked at the post dates--LOL... I was about to solute you as the queen of DL growing!

The picture of the plants in the bucket show SEEING BLUE with cut leaves, and the picture of it planted in the garden shows it leafed out.

I thought at first this was a new post of DL order you just received. Now if anyone can make a plant leaf out in Interesting seeing the leafstreak photos. I have some new frost damage that looks very similar except that it is not on the end on all of the leaves. Some leaves were tall enough to have bent over and the frost damage is at the highest point on each leaf so in the middle of those that bent. It is more of a light-tan sun burned look right now while it's fresh. I expect those leaves will yellow and die back and look much more like the leafstreak as they go.

• fairysoapgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah... sorry about the confusion... I had to reorg my photobucket account. It was out of control. But, I wanted people to still see the pictures here.

Here is how they look today:
    Seeing Blue:

Spacecoast Suprise Purple

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County