Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwamsley_gw

Trade? - Have: Gillette (Croisic) & Desert King

mwamsley
15 years ago

I may be a little late this year in setting up trades, but I have two great sources of wood for the Gillette (Croisic) & Desert King figs.

I had posted my "discovery" of a tree in the Garlic Gulch area of Seattle that resembled the edible caprifig Gillette. This area had a high Italian population in the early 1900's.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg061834293406.html

This year it was LOADED with a very early profichi crop. I took a local fig expert to see it, and he confirmed my suspicion. The owner of the house is planning on removing the tree, so I would like to preserve it. The history of The Gillette (Croisic) fig is a good read. At one point in time it was given a the status of Ficus carica relicta. It's history can be found on page 15 of Condits Fig Varieties: A Monograph.

Both the Desert King and Gillette figs had sugar levels at around 18.5.

I would be interested in trading for any fig that produces a large breba crop, or produces a VERY early main crop. He is my partial wish list:

Capelas

Fioroni Umbrella

Melanzana

Melanzana Merdoscola

Paradiso

Monaco

Moscatel

Rouge de Bordeaux

Vashon Violet (Brunswick)

Tilbury's Brown Turkey

Magnolia

Doree

Noire de Caromb

Drap d'Or (Royal Vineyard)

Lampiera

Sultane

Danny's Delite

Madelien de deux Saisons

Marseilles 'VS'

Marseilles

Schar Amber

Schar Israel

Lindhurst White

Paradiso

Please e-mail me off list if interested.

thanks-

Mark

Seattle, WA

markwamsley

at

yahoo.com

Here are photos of the Gillette and Desert King figs:

{{gwi:843039}}
{{gwi:843040}}

Here is the Desert King fig tree:

Early in the season. Notice the brebas

Later in the season

Here is the Gillette fig tree:

{{gwi:789583}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig Varieties: A Monograph

Comments (15)

• figlady08
    15 years ago

you have mail

Sue

• pitangadiego
    15 years ago

You have more mail.

• gorgi
    15 years ago

You have some more mail...

I am not interested in the Desert King; I have that.

What I am interested is in the weird Gillette (Croisic).
    Specially after seeing your reference to page 15 of its
    history by Condit. I happen to be familiar with that page.

"P.I. No. 6,952, obtained from Malta as Tin Baitri or Saint John"

My unkown #8 (from Malta) is also possibly a croisic.
    So far it produced some weird figs for me. First bad
    looking figs on the outside and delicious inside; then
    good looking figs on the outside, bad looking inside
    and yet still sweet!

I'll only like to compare.

• hlyell
    15 years ago

Mark,

You've also had email from me since 9AM 12/11. I hope you got it. Thanks.

Henry

• gorgi
    15 years ago

I would also like to add that my #8 M.Croisic fruit shape
    does not look anywhere near the Gillette; it is much more
    roundish rather than longish as the G is.

• mwamsley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi George-

My friend's main issue with seeing photos of this tree was that it was a Latarulla. In seeing it in person, he was confidant that it was a Gillette. The one I found looks very similar to his:

http://www.geocities.com/kiwibobg/kiwifruitsalad3

Notice the shape of the fruit and the shape of the leaves. The northwest's Gillette has very rounded, corrugated edged leaves. The sinuses are very narrow, if not overlapping. If a quarter is almost an inch, my fruit is almost 2.5 inches wide. Condit lists Croisic as 1.75 inches. When I compare my photos to the Latarulla at:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0711091931015.html
    http://www.cloudforest.com/northwest/forum/2883.html

the leaves and figs don't look the same.

One other thing, the Gillette produces seeds. Is it common for figs to develop seeds through apomixis or are the seeds not fertile? No wasp here.

Any ideas opinions are welcome.

Thanks-
    Mark
    Seattle, WA

• gorgi
    15 years ago

Mark,
    My previous post was not meant to question your Gillette.
    I was actually questioning my unknown Croisic.
    BTW, there is also another Croisic fig circulating around
    with the name of Pingo de Mel...

• mwamsley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

George-
    I understood and I'm sorry if my message came off as defensive. That was not my intent.
    I was just detailing our identification decision and providing information on its characteristics. My concern is passing around a mis-identified fig (I know, it's never been done!) that was identified by one person that is familiar with both cultivars, and one amateur. I don't want to create a Sal's situation!
    I was also hoping to find people that have Latarulla, Gillette or whatever, and can say, "hey that looks like mine" or vice-versa.
    Mark

• fignut
    15 years ago

What appear to be seeds in common figs are called cenocarps, and they are not fertile.
    Croisic is a caprifig and as such has male and female flowers, but from what I understand should not be able to self-pollinate.
    I've never tried sowing fig seed, but I've heard they germinate rapidly. Maybe try sowing some of Croisic's "seeds" and see what happens. With figs, you never rule anything out, LOL.

• boizeau
    15 years ago

I have a bunch of root base cuttings from an unknown type of light brown/tan fig. The tree is just a few blocks north of here, and is not like any of mine-- Desert King, Violet DE Bordeaux, Brunswick or Magnolia. I noted also that the figs that did mature last fall, had a sort of striped two tone shade on the sides between light and dark tan.
    I wish I had a digital camera.
    I think it is a fairly uncommon variety for the NW, and I've only seen one other like it at South Seattle Community College. Size wise the tree is medium, smaller than Desert King.
    Would be happy to trade for the Gillette.

• boizeau
    15 years ago

I figured out at last how to use the photo bucket and though I have no handy fig photos, "yet", I did take this picture of my Richard Walden Seedless to share.

{{gwi:55879}}

• boizeau
    15 years ago

I do have some wood of Violet DE Bordeaux, " I brought some into the porch, just in case this 'Canadian blast' gets the best outdoors. It is a small tree and the fruit ripens very early. I think it is one of the most 'Cool Hardy' fruits in the fig population.
    {{gwi:842998}}

• wildforager
    15 years ago

Hey,
    If any of you Seattle people want to meet up and talk figs I'll bet there from late May into June. I'd love to connect with fellow Fig-heads while I'm there. Please email me offline or find me at Folklife on memorial day weekend, I'll have a booth.

Peace,
    Little John

• boizeau
    15 years ago

Yes that would be good what is Folklife?
    I am closer to Tacoma WA.
    If it doesn't get any warmer, I think I'll tear out the fig trees and plant Sitka Spruce trees.

• wildforager
    15 years ago

boizeau,

Folklife is a huge festival with vendors and free music. Here's a link.....

http://www.nwfolklife.org/

I'll be in the founders court area making brooms at my booth. If you bring some potted figs they're as good as currency at my booth. Hope to see you there!!

Peace,
    Little John