Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Paul's Glory vs Gold Standard

For those of you who are wondering whether they have a Paul's Glory or Gold Standard, let me say that I have searched for information and feel that the following differences stand out for me---

Paul's Glory:

---has brilliant gold center which turns to a white gold as the season progresses (depending on sun exposure)

---good substance (better than GS)

---1/2" blue/ green leaf border

---some puckering when mature

---produces lots of seed pods

---most importantly I think (10 PAIRS OF VEINS)

Gold Standard:

---center is gold/cream throughout the season

---narrow green margin

---no seed pods (sterile)

---7-8 PAIRS OF VEINS!!!

Since 2011 I have thought what I had was a Paul's Glory, but it definitely is not. Vein count is wrong. I guess it may be a Gold Standard. I do love my NOID.

Will the real Paul's Glory please stand up?

Comments (20)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK. So the "real" Paul's Glory is the one on the top left. The other two are my possible Gold Standards.

Here is another leaf shot. (Didn't realize that my hostas were getting the dried edges till I took this shot!)

Also while looking for information regarding these two hostas, I found a former thread about the same thing which is good reading also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold Standard & Paul's Glory---how to tell

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

when i look at the pic immediately above ... GS has no cleandon streaking.. no third color ...

and i thought.. leaf texture was way different ...

ken

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

I think Ken means celadon - a grey green

Also, I have have Gold Standard leaf pics with more than 7-8 vein pairs (and Zilis lists 10-11 vein pairs).

Pics below have Paul's Glory on left and Gold Standard on right

Paul

edit - attached wrong pic - corrected.

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 18:31

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I checked again my 3 'Gold Standard' and my 2 'Paul's Glory'. GS are perhaps 10 yrs old, PG are 5-6 yrs old.
    I agree in that my GS are not fertile, no pods, and have no puckering, PGs have pods and some puckering.
    The GS in more sun and probably affected by maple roots has 7 or so vein pairs, the other GSs (which are divisions of the first) have up to 10 vein pairs. PGs have 10-11 vein pairs.
    PG have somewhat bleached centers in bright shade, GS is more yellow, both close to each other.
    To me they all look alike.
    Bernd

• User
    10 years ago

I've grown both Paul's Glory and Gold Standard for 2 years now. This being the 2nd year. Paul's Glory came from Hallson. Gold Standard came from Mason Hollow in NH.

Let's see what recent photos are available. It is storming right now, cannot take any new shots.

Paul's Glory in June 2013

and now Gold Standard...I have two of these so plant might not always look alike.
    in August 2012....love the color variances

At this time, I'm never confused by which is which. The substance of Paul's Glory is much thicker and crisper than on Gold Standard. Maybe as they mature, the corrugating of the leaves will make it harder to distinguish between the two. But not for now.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I have both PG and GS that are quite mature, and there is in my opinion absolutely no comparison. My PG leaves are more rugose, almost 3 times the size and much more rounded than GS. Their shape is also more rounded than GS. The largest of my 2 GS is maybe 3' across and my PG is still growing at 4'.

Just in general appearance I consider GS along with U. Albo and Lancifolia, and my PG as a specimen.

Am I wrong? I cannot compare the two. Not even in the same ballpark. But as I have often posted, I would have a hard time choosing between Old Glory and Paul's Glory, and mine are growing side by side.

I really need to resolve my photo posting problems. Pray for me please.

Theresa

• User
    10 years ago

I'd go nuts, Theresa, if I could not post photos. Sure hope you get it straightened out soon. But don't let that stop you from taking pics.

Have you a Flickr account? See if you can upload there and then get the HTML code to load here. More ways to kill a cat than one.

• esox48
    10 years ago

I think both are pretty cool hostas and I really like Gold Standard. It's not entirely sterile as you will occasionally see a pod. I've got a Gold Standard OP growing, and it's vigorous.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken---is GS suppose to have celadon streaking?

Paul---when you say Zilis lists 10-11 vein pairs for GS, is that in his Hostapedia? You are aware that GS was registered as having 7-8 vein pairs. But I have heard that sometimes the hostas registered are not mature and so size and perhaps vein pairs may be inaccurate. Thanks for the pictures. They are great. Your pictures show a big difference between Paul's Glory and GS.

Bernd---So you say that you have divided your GS (with 7 or so vein pairs) and now have GS with up to 10 veins---interesting. I had to laugh when you said "to me they all look alike." Don't they though! But it is frustrating to not see the difference. I understand. And NOTE: I am not laughing at you! It makes me laugh when I can perfectly understand what another hostaholic means or feels about their hosta! It makes me feel like I'm not CRAZY!

Moccasinlanding---my NOID has never had the color variation that I see in your GS. I see your GS has some light leaves, some green leaves and everything in between. Nope, I've never had that in my NOID since I got it in 2011. I am now thinking that my NOID is not a GS.

Gogirlterri---I do so hope you can resolve your photo problems. I love to see your pictures.

This post was edited by newhostalady on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 10:15

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Pauls Glory today, pops right out.

...and the closer you get the nicer it gets.

{{gwi:1078117}}

Jon

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

J...that's a gorgeous one....I like the way the leaves extend somewhat laterally...it's got it all, that one! You must love it and the close ups you and some others provide from time to time are the kind of detail I love looking at.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jo.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jon you have a beauty. No wonder Paul's Glory was ranked #15 in the AHS) Popularity Poll; was 14th in the "2012 Top 100 Hosta Poll (GardenWeb forum, thanks goes to Paul for doing that); and it has been on the top 25 AHS Popularity Poll for 18 years!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

When I first started acquiring hosta last year, I bought 2 PG's and 3 GS's. Still have the 2 PG's, and they look great. The 3 GS's were infested with HVX, so they're long gone. I'll get GS again sometime.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

ESox, I have a couple of seed pods on my two Gold Standards, was not sure if they were fertile seeds though, because I'd heard it was sterile.

Makes me wonder, how do you know when the seeds are fertile, I guess it would be too easy if all seeds were fertile? :)

• esox48
    10 years ago

Moccasin....the only way to know for sure if a seed is fertile is to plant it and see if it grows. I knew Gold Standard rarely has seeds, so I was determined to plant the ones I got. Grew just like any other seed, a bit better than most.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Flowers are fertile if they can be pollinated and develop seed, infertile if they cant be fertilized...

seeds are viable if they have a living embryon, not viable if they have incomplete or no fertilization... no viable embryo...

then there is the issue of whether or not that supposedly viable seed will actually germinate for you... some science, some art, some luck involved at that step...

You can't tell how well a ripened hosta seed will grow... but if the seeds were not pollinated and are flat... no "bump" for the embryo... then you know those seeds aren't viable...

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Thanks Jo and NHL for the compliments. Pauls Glory is in its second year. Last year I wasn't too impressed with it, but this year it has matured into a favorite.

Jon

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Several years ago I had young hostas 'Paradigm', 'Paul's Glory' and a division of an old 'Gold Standard' planted in a row, not knowing better (perhaps a 'Manhattan' in between). In early spring they looked alike to me, that was a confusing time. In a different part of the garden I had a young h.'Rainforest Sunrise', and that looked like a copy of the others though smaller. Now 'Paradigm' s leaves are wider and with wider darker border, and I planted 'Paul's Glory' elsewhere.

I think someone needs to become a hosta connoisseur to appreciate these fine nuances in plants. There are a lot of potential duplicates in appearance, so it seems to me. Imagine planting all the greens with yellow borders in a group, etc.
    Have a good one! Bernd

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

This was August last year. Paul's Glory on the left. Gold Standard on the right.

The link is my comparison post of them through last year.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Side by each

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

My 'Paul's Glory that gets about four hours of early-day sun (about 8-noon, I guess). Chartreuse City! Pic taken today.

Don B.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21