Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

August 2011 buds & blooms!!!

dmichael619
12 years ago

I honestly can't believe that it's August 1st, I swear it seems like July just started and now it's gone!!! Now that the new month is upon us,it's time to start a new flower show!!!

Here's a sampling of what I have blooming today!!!

H. multiflora "variegated form"

H. sp. square leaf::: I really wish somebody would publish this and give this plant a name!!!

H. heuschkeliana "yellow"

H. Vanuatuensis IML 0071

H. subcalva. This is just beginning to open and I find that growing it in very bright light tends to cause the flowers to be a bit more washed out looking than when grown in a shadier spot which seems to cause the flowers to be a darker raspberry pink. Either way it's still a beautiful flower and the scent is intoxicating. It smells just like grape juice!!!

Comments (26)

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Lovely! Totally lovin' your subcalva!

:) Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

You know, I'm getting totally jealous of all this grape juice talk. My subcalva had beautiful blooms... that smelled like bubblegum! Sigh. Well, I guess we'll see what it smells like the next time it blooms.

That tears it. I am getting vanuatuensis. I can't stand it anymore, I love those yellow blooms and the way the plant looks every time I see it.

I dunno. Square leaf is very descriptive. And easy to spell ;)

I may have to break down and get a heuschkeliana yellow plant, and add my cutting that is doing nothing for two years to it. Either it will do something or I won't notice it anymore, right?

Do you find you almost always have something blooming, David? Or are there times of the year when even your vast collection has nothing blooming? I've got javanica, and an African violet NOID blooming. And that's it. Oh wait, and a geranium. I'm not really complaining, I really like vines and leaves growing rampant, I just don't feel like I often have any blooms to share, so I was curious. Most of my plants are young and this is to be expected.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Quinn,

what if we change it up a bit and just say that it smells like grape bubblegum!!!

There's something in bloom all 12 months. From about mid March until October is when I get the most blooms. Usually from November through February there's not much blooming other than the lacunosa's and I can depend on them to be in bloom the entire year pretty much. During the winter months I do get some stray blooms here and there on different things but no too many.

Yes you have to get H. vanuatuensis in your collection!! It's a neat rather compact grower and an early bloomer.

Carolyn,subcalva is one of my favorites!!!

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Pretty sure that subcalva just surpassed the variegated heuschkeliana that I was lusting for. What a beauty!

I love them all! Is there a thread where you show your growing set up?
    Do you have a greenhouse?

Here's my NOID that I call aff carnosa. Has speckled, veined, red (new growth) leaves and smells like chocolate or hot cocoa but very faintly

And H. multiflora who is almost there

Dischidia ruscifolia which blooms off and on all the time.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Ha ha, well grape bubblegum is closer to what mine smelled like, minus the grape part. Oh well. I'm just surprised it bloomed already, for some reason I thought it was going to be one of those that I had to wait a long time for. ELB, here is what my subcalva leaves occasionally grow in looking like:

Not all the time, but when they do, it's wild looking. It slowly becomes all green as it matures. David, does this ever happen to you?

Hey, I have a speckled carnosa that grows new leaves in a bronzey red or almost purple color. It is growing like crazy this year. I have mine in a west window. I love it.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ELB,

there's several threads here on GW that show the plants while still in the gh but I have no idea how far you'd have to go back to find them or what the thread title's may have been. If you type in my user ID in the search box at the top of the page it'll bring up all the threads I have started or posted to and it's gonna be a lot!!!

I do have a GH 18W x 10h x 60L. The hoysa are in there from late November until about mid April. From that point on they go outside under the shade house. The SH butts up to the front end wall of the gh. It's sort of shaped like a giant "L". It's 18W on the shorter end then it extends 24Ft out into the yard then the arm of the "L" is about 40ft L

18W
    24L "L"
    40L

I hope that 3rd grade diagram that I just drew there makes sense!!! that's basically what the shade house looks like extending from the front of the gh
    I like the dischidia but gosh knows I don't need another plant addiction!!!

Jane it took my subcalva a long time to take hold and an even longer time to bloom for the first time. I had issues with keeping it going when I first got it but once it took hold there was no turning back!!! Yes my plant does quite often make new foliage that bronzey color and it seems to come in many different patterns. Hoya subglabra foliage does the same thing when brand new.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I'm a stalker, so I know this answer!

Shade House

Greenhouse

/goes back to hiding in the bushes

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Carolyn I'm with you, lovin' the subcalva!

Mike

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Thank you GG!
    Wow, great set up you have there! I'm jealous!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/David

Beautiful photos as usual. Does the variegated multiflora bloom as frequently as the regular one?

/Quinn

That's so interesting that you don't get the grape smell. I'm with you - original flavor bubblegum is all good and well, but it's just not the same once you've been promised grape! I'll be sure to report what I smell once mine blooms. It's the child of David's plant, so hopefully that means I get g r a p e! Or maybe it's about the nose, not the clone, and mine will malfunction, like yours.

I haven't been paying attention to my new subcalva leaves, I confess. They are a very beautiful coppery rose color, I know that much, so I'll have to keep a sharp eye on them as they transition to green. Thanks for the reminder!!

/Begonia

I'm loving that ruscifolia. Too cute. :) :) Like it's peppered with stars. That NOID has gorgeous color, too.

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

David, as usual, your blooms are breathtaking. I love the subcalva and I'm going to have to move it to the top of my list.
    @GG -- how do you do that--find posts that fast? Is there a trick involved? I was searching for your post for the clear square pots, and couln't find it doing a search.
    You find posts like magic. LOL

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL! My father wants to build a greenhouse for my mom, so I told him I'd save records of what other more knowledgeable people have done, so that when the time came, he'd have a reserve of ideas and advice. Thus, I had David's links bookmarked.

Sometimes it takes me a while to find what I'm looking for, but I am pretty good at doing searches. I don't have a photographic memory, but I have a good conceptual memory, so usually I can remember one unique word or set of words that will pull it up.

Like, to find the post of mine I think you were looking for, I typed in:

greedyghost Tindara

(Or if I were you and I didn't remember Tindara I'd search greedyghost square saucer since saucer comes up less in posts than pots.)

Or, like, when I want to find that time Pug posted her sigillatis in bloom, I remember that she said it was an anniversary present and I search:

puglvr1 sigillatis anniversary

Or, if I can't remember who Mike said was hosting the old Stemma issues, I search:

Stemma done Randal (or mikedahms Stemma Vol since he almost always puts a specific volume number in his posts.)

I can NEVER remember the post title, but I can usually remember some weird thing that came up at the same time. It helps a lot to search using more than one word.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear Square Pots

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I need to get more square pots from Tindara, actually. That and those coco husk bricks. I love those. They take up no space until you need them, just add water, and poof! Magically you have all this potting medium. Actually, I break off pieces and hydrate them. That way I don't need to deal with that much potting medium at once. I have the reptile bedding stuff too, which is shredded and resembles coffee grounds in appearance. I will use that if I need finer textured stuff. But I am still going through it and I reconstituted it at least a couple years ago. I have it stored in 2 gal ziploc bags. I got that stuff from Black Jungle Terrarium Supply, and often wish I could have tree frogs when I visit their site. Then I remember having to deal with live food, and I get over it. I do love looking at their vivarium set up pics though. They did a major site overhaul recently, so I don't know if they still have the pics up. I hope so, I used their pics as inspiration and still want to build a terrarium someday that has plants actually mounted onto the branches and such. Unlike my current one where things are just set in and still movable.

It's possible that the first blooming doesn't smell quite right. It happened with paulshirleyi. The first blooming barely smelled at all. But this last blooming, the scent was strong. All I had to do was approach the shelf it was on, and I could smell it. Lacunosa didn't smell much at first either. So perhaps grape juice is still waiting for me in the future.

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Thanks GG. I love the look of the square pots. I'm going to slowly change over from the plastic round ones. The square pots take up less room when plants are small. I also wrote down the samosas so I remember what to look for when I go shopping. Old age is terrible on the brain. I have lots of 'dead' memory cells.

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

H. sp square leaf should be H. perfecta.

Also loving those variegated multiflora leaves!

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Coming soon... pics of my H. Schneei blooms.

TammyPie

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had to go out and take some pictures today to get my mind off of that $1500.00 Epiphytica order that customs has tied up at the moment!!

H. sp. Estrella Waterfall

H. sp. kalimantan

H. lamingtoniae

H. micrantha

H. archboldiana (white form)

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

David, I just love sp. Estrella Waterfall. Looks like 'little green apples'. And Archboldiana is AWESOME!!!

• alba_gardener
    12 years ago

OMG..what a feast for the eyes! All of your pictures of blooming hoyas just confirms that I LOVE HOYAS!!!
    There is just one thing missing, I don't have any of the hoyas pictured....
    I have a scrawny Lanceolata Bella who decided to come back to life after I put her outside because I got frustrated with her. She looks awful, but she's in bloom..
    And I have a Linearis who's also outside because she was dying..And when I got home this past week after having attended two funerals.....She was in bloom! The blooms have a lemony fragrance...I guess it was my hoyas way of welcoming me back home...it lifted my spirits to see them in bloom....
    alba in Hawthorne

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

My H. multiflora from above popped open the other day.

And the same H. aff carnosa is now throwing out some different colored buds? The first and second set on the peduncle from the photo above are dark burgundy pink, this set is pale pale pink, almost white. Same with the 'stem' (can someone tell me the proper name of the stem between the peduncle and the actual flower bud?)

Same plant, different peduncle. Blooming at the same time

Another view of the pale pink

And the difference - showing the dark pink buds

Same hoya, showing the nectar.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Gorgeous photographs, Begonia! I love that you're seeing such a wide range of color. Thanks for sharing all the comparison pics - they're a lot of fun to look at! I like the burgundy tones, personally. ^_^

I think the term you're looking for is pedicel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki: pedicel

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Love the photo of the burgundy bloom in front of the citrusy-orange background - one of my favorite color combos. Nice growing!

Lisa

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Ooooh, so that's what sp. Kalimantan blooms will look like! Don't think I've ever seen the blooms from one before, just the leaves.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

David those are all very nice and seeing those sp Estrella waterfall blooms again makes me determined to bloom my plant.

ELB I love that first photo, congrats on the blooms.

Mike

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Thanks gang!

The second peduncle popped open yesterday evening - definitely not the same color as the other bloom, much more white.

I've had this hoya about 6 years, neglected for about 5 and a half until life settled down again and I was able to focus on hoya once more. (hate to admit how many I lost!) Something in the back of my mind makes me think that this was an EA H. carnosa 'rubra' the variegated one that reverted to all green so I rooted it. But I can't recall for sure. Any thoughts? And truly it doesn't matter if I never have a name, I'm just thrilled to have a hoya blooming in my life again! It's the simple things!

Showing both blooms with different colors.

Have a GREAT weekend everyone!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ELB,

I LOVE the multiflora photo!!!

Quinn the Kalamntan flowers are quite tiny and only last for a day or so but they smell makes up for that!!! It's sweet and spicy and one of my favorite hoya scents!!!

Sponsored