Houzz Logo Print
ronnyb123

2014 Holiday Seed Swap Part 2

ronnyb123
9 years ago

Holiday Seed Swap - 2014

Rules/Regs
1. Seeds must be clearly labeled a/ in separate bags
2. If you have/send a "cross" a/or "hybrid," that is STABLE, please note that on packaging
3. Please do your best a/ not mis-label seeds
4. Seed packet rules -
Min 10 per bag
Please limit to 30 bags per type
Max of 500 bags per participant [Yes someone sent me 250 bags of seeds last year ☺ a/ it was appreciated]
5. If you want to donate seeds beyond the max, understand you are donating these
6. Include a list (type/quantity) you are sending to trade
7. Include a list (type/quantity) you would like to receive
8. Leftover seeds submitted will be used for "Newbies" unless you note that you want any "leftovers" returned to you
9. Newbies are welcome to participate just note you may/may not receive anything based on availability of seeds
10. Don't send old seeds

Shipping/Handling Rules-
1. Please ensure submission packaging is bubble wrap
2. Include enough money a/or stamps to send seeds back to you as I cannot pay postage for you
3. Please include a return label indicating your name a/ return address
4. If outside of US (i.e., Canada, Europe, etc.) expect longer time for both submission and receipt of exchange items
5. Only US funds are accepted

Timing/Dates -
1. Submission is 10/1/2014 - 11/30/2014 (Plan accordingly)
Note - Anything rec'd post 12/3 will not be used nor your seed request filled
2. 12/4 - 12/10 will be used for re-packaging
3. Mail out will be from 12/11-12/13

Important Notes -
1. Only Peppers are being swapped
2. Remember this is a voluntary exchange and that no one is required to participate
3. Understand that you probably won't get everything you want in return b/c we may not receive enough to fulfill everyone's wish list
4. I will do my best to be fair in fulfilling requests

Submission address
Johnny Luse
P.O. Box 276
Midland, GA 31820

Comments (151)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for posting that Lisa, I'll send an email to get the address - I have lots of tomato seeds and maybe some cukes to send Salsacanner.

Maybe Johnny can send him a big packet of seeds "from everyone on GW's Hot Pepper Forum" so you don't have to forward it?

My pepper seeds for the swap will go out tomorrow.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by ishareflowers on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 17:51

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Can you provide a link to her post? I don't know how to find a member without having a link to "My Page". Thanks

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Hi Mama

Try this link - not sure if it will work. If it does, scroll down a lot to get to Red's post.

~Susie

Here is a link that might be useful: Secret Santa 2014

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

This was posted on the Secret Santa round robin seed trade for SalsaCanner

2012 Wish List for those who want to send a Christmas Surprise to SalsaCanner, here was his former wish list if that helps.

1. Your Favorite Tomatoes
    2. Heirloom Tomato
    3. Cherry Tomato
    4. Striped Tomato
    5. Bulls Heart Tomato
    6. Polish Tomato
    7. Fish Peppers
    8. Hungarian Hot Peppers
    9. Hot Peppers
    10. Chili Peppers
    11. Sweet Banana Pepper
    12. Cacti
    13. Orange/Lemon/Grapefruit seeds
    14. Orange/Lemon/Grapefruit plants
    15. Pole or Bush Beans
    16. Blue Lake Bush Bean
    17. Kentucky Wonder Pole Bean
    18. Garlic
    19. Shallots
    20. Boston Pickler Cucumbers
    21. Cilantro
    22. Four O'clock Flowers
    23. Lovage
    24. Lilies
    25. Catnip
    26. Dill
    27. Oregano
    28. Parsley
    29. Peas
    30. Spider Flower

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by ishareflowers on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 17:53

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

SalsaCanners daughter is redthreaddiy. To find her information, go to the bottom of the page and look for Member Pages.. Toward the bottom of the screen it says Search forMembers, click that and type her name in then search. Her information comes right up.

Hope this helps.

• andrew1981
    9 years ago

I would also like to sign up for this unfortunately I just started to grow some seeds I bought online so I do not have any seeds to contribute but if there is extra I would like to see if I can sign up thank you all.do I send a envelope to you ,not to sure on what the process is for newbies sorry.

• jtight
    9 years ago

@ andrew1981 - mail me $3 a/ a return envelope w/ your info.

Johnny

• backwoodswife
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

If you have room for another newbie, I would love to join! I couldn't come close to what everyone is sending but could contribute some cayenne and Thai seeds if they would be useful? Thanks so much, you guys are a real generous group! Hoping next year I can step up and pitch in just as much!

• andrew1981
    9 years ago

Ty, what kind of envelope?

• nutmegger5
    9 years ago

Hi Johnny and everyone,

I'm new here and wondered if I could join the swap? I have some bhut jolokia and cayenne seeds that I could send in if you need any more of them? I only had a couple plants, so don't have a lot of seeds, but I would be glad to send them in if you need more, Johnny. I would love to try some new types of hot peppers that I've been reading about here.

Thanks so much for organizing this amazing swap, and thank you to everyone here for sharing your seeds and knowledge with everyone else.

• jtight
    9 years ago

@ Backwoods / Nutmegger / Andrew -

No issue w/ your participation. Mail me a padded return envelope a/ $3 w/ a list of things you would like.

FYI..... First response to this thread outlines all the particulars of this annual swap.

Johnny

• backwoodswife
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Johnny,
    I will send you an envelope:) And thanks to everyone!
    Lisa

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link/email.

I got my seeds all packed up and addressed but didn't make it to the PO (sat in dentist's office 2 hrs with DS, next trip oral surgeon - he needs wisdom teeth out). I'll hit the PO tomorrow in between my dentist appt and DD's.

But I forgot to put my wish list in - and I used the older one, so not in alphabetical order. Johnny, is it easier to email you or post here?

I'm not sure if there is any difference between Chinese 5 color, Bolivian Rainbow, Numex Twilight, Garda, etc. I only desire 1 ornamental though I will take whatever's available.

My package contains 10 packs x 20 seeds Corno di Toro (red, Burpee seed so who knows if it's true CdiT, some were blocky rather than pointed, OP)
    10 packs x 20 seeds Tequila Sunrise (grown out from ottawapepper's seeds, OP)
    20 packs x 15 seeds red Hinkelhatz (I think these were from last of the Fedco seeds but might have been saved, the pods looked right and tasted right to me, not really hot but good for a Yankee! OP)

Sorry I just didn't have a whole lot of seeds in the mini bells I grew out from grocery store peppers, those had a lot more seed and I don't know if they're stable (looked good but these were not isolated in my beds) so I figured I'd try growing them out another year before trading.

• pepperchuck
    9 years ago

Package sent

• ryang23
    9 years ago

Noob here that's been lurking around the forum all year. My envelope will be in the mail tomorrow. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Thanks in advance, Johnny!

• jtight
    9 years ago

@ajsamma - Email me your list.
    @Chuck - Tks boss
    @Ryan - Look fwd to having you participate

Johnny

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Aj,

I was gonna make a Navy joke and suggest you try a Peter pepper for your ornamental. .. But seriously, i wanted to suggest Black Pearl.

• backwoodswife
    9 years ago

Johnny,

I sent my envelope to you today, but I didn't realize until now I was suppose to include a list of my contributions... Sorry. I sent 3 Red Habanero 3 red Thai, 3 cayenne and 2 serrano. 20 -40 ish seeds per pk. Hope it's not a problem. Thanks again! Lisa

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Shaping up nicely. Newbies paradise is here.
    A lot of seeds in this swap are rare and you cannot buy them at HD, Burpe, or other places. And they cost quite a bit too. I wished this opportunity existed years ago.

@backwoodswife,,, as long as your seeds were bagged and tagged properly and you included your wish list, that is all that is important. A lot of people have not published the list of their contribution.

Seysonn

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

SJohn - I am interested in the smaller multi-colored pods, so no Peter Peppers. I do have my eye on Brazilian Starfish (if there are enough to go around) for unusual shapes. And I want an edible ornamental, I hear Black Pearl is seedy. Not to mention cursed ;-) Though I was tempted just to grow one as a house plant. If there are extra seeds, I'll take a couple, as long as I don't have to make a deal with Davy Jones ;-)

Johnny, I'll email you my list later, have to run to dentist.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 6:53

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Ajs

I sent in some ornamentals that I think are very stunning

The Black Peal is always a nice one but it is very seedy.
    The Jigsaw ornamental is probably my favorite. the peppers start out black and turn red and they hang down. the nice thing about this plant is the leaves are variagrated (spelling?) so the leaves resemble a fish pepper.

Bolivian rainbow is really pretty as is the Fireworks and Christmas tree (otherwise known as the sweet pickling pepper)

the Christmas tree produced like mad and as new pods grew, the size of the pods tripled.

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

My newbie package went out today, Johnny. (No seeds so I included a few extra bucks and some extra padded envelopes- hope it helps.)

Thanks again for all of your hard work and for everyone's incredible generosity. I'm really excited about the 2015 growing season now! My winter will be spent building and filling new beds just for the peppers. :)

• backwoodswife
    9 years ago

Thanks Seysonn!

It really is an amazing opportunity for everyone, especially the newbies! I was reluctant to join in because I didn't have much to offer, but you are all such a wonderful group of people making us all feel welcomed and part of the group! That's what its all about! Thank you all!

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is an amzing opportunity for newbies.

Last year was my first time and I had no seeds to give. I got about 30 packs. Now, you guys will get more than that, depending on how many join and give.

Since I gave nothing last year, I gave heavily this year, not because I had too, but because I could (sent 130 pks/ 30 different varities). I wanted to give back.

This group is great, always helping out with answers and donating whenever this is a problem. if you need something, there is always someone to help.

Im glad to be here.

Ron

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Packet just went out (padded envelope with padded envelope addressed to me inside, with seeds inside that, so well-padded). No tracking but it should get to you by the end of next week (cutting it close, Dec 3 is only 2 weeks away and we have a holiday here in USA so get your stuff in the mail folks!).

I thought Jigsaw was a hot pepper? I tried googling some I hadn't heard of when making my list. Whatever, sounds like there are a lot so Johnny, I've separated my list into REALLY WANT and WANT, try your best (I'm greedy, REALLY WANT 16 types and WANT more) but I'll take pretty much anything, even if I end up planting them in 2016 or sending back for next year's swap. The list was so long I kept looking up the different types and going yeah, that would be nice to try...

Thanks everyone for your generosity, and Johnny for all his hard work (yet to come!). I'll try to save more seed next year for the swap.

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Aj, the Pearl is seedy, but i think most ornamentals i have grown are small, seedy.... and although edible, not a great choice for eatting

• ryang23
    9 years ago

Johnny,

Package is at the post office. I apologize in advance for my letter looking like a second grader put it together. Forgot to type up a letter while I was at work so had to make due with what I had on hand.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

That's why I only want to grow 1 per year and this year I'd like a multicolor but it looks like there are a lot of similar ones. DH just said he wanted the kind they make ristras from and there are a number of those too but I'd really like chimayo.

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

there is a fatali jigsaw and a jigsaw hot ornamental (at least that's what it was called on the seed package)

And yes, most (all?) are edible, but they are mostly bitter (at least the ones I have tried).

• seysonn
    9 years ago

RON,
    you nailed it: This is an amazing opportunity for newbies. Last year I got some seeds from a couple of good men : Tim and Leaf Erickson. So as a token of my appreciation, this year I tried to pay it forward as much as I could (Not a whole lot ).

Growing peppers is a lot of fun. Every variety has its own personality ; in heat, growth habit, size, color, taste ...
    Tomatoes are a lot alike and can be substituted but not peppers. And what is more is that peppers are much easier to grow and care for. Once you get hooked, you are hooked for life. hehe

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

@Jtight, you have totally ignored my postings about possibly sending seeds to salsacanner. I'm assuming I broke a rule or two doing so, I apologize. They have been deleted.

Lisa/ishare

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Posted by ishareflowers 6a. MA. (My Page) on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 18:07
    @Jtight, you have totally ignored my postings

So have others, myself included.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 20:02

• jtight
    9 years ago

No clue what you are ref. Perhaps you are in the wrong forum? Nobody in this thread has been talking about canning salsa.

Confused/Sorry

Johnny

• jtight
    9 years ago

3 more packages rec'd today.
    JMarshall
    DDryden
    SChunat

Johnny

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Lisa deleted her posts but Sunday 18:09 dmkelly gave wish list (not all peppers) for SalsaCanner (membername). He lost his son this year and on Secret Santa thread his DD asked if people could send seed in an Xmas card to lift his spirits. I emailed her through GW since I have tomato and bean seeds. Once I get the address I will email it to you Johnny. I put $5 in my envelope so that can help with postage.

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

good one chile dude...You know i had planned on sending him seeds as soon as more info was given, just because it seems like the navy chick knows them... not real bright? all she had to do is sign her dad up as a newbie.. But getting mad cause she doesn't get an answer in less than 48 hours.. she can share her flowers somewhere else

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I don't know them (though with a name like that I would expect to see him over on Harvest). Just touched by the story. I don't know why ishareflowers deleted her posts, I don't think Johnny has responded personally to every newbie who wanted to join, the rules are up top and plenty of newbies have been told just send wish list, envelope and postage, don't worry about seeds.

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

What gets me is how she gets upset and goes off on Johnny when her post was less than 48 hours old.. Johnny still has his normal everyday life plus sorting out thousands of seeds. I have talked to him since he joined the forum, and i don't expect a speedy responce

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Johnny,

Another 500 on the way buddy.. mailed them today... 50 types X 10 for the swap, a quart of powder, a pint of mash, and 60 types for our personal trade. You can bag some powder for the swap if you get time and keep the rest...John

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

SJohn - I agree, shouldn't expect a speedy response (or maybe any) from Johnny when the rules were posted and he's so busy. But I'm still planning on sending seed to the guy she was trying to help. I got an email from his DD (not the person who posted on this forum), she was pleasantly surprised that someone had posted over here, said her dad would love anything (but please no sympathy cards), the family has had a very hard time of it and the holidays will probably be harder.

Johnny, I sent you the address and wish list, hope you will add SalsaCanner as a newbie.

He's in MI, so if anybody has any short-season tomatoes, beans, flowers, etc. they'd like to send, let me know if you want the address.

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Aj,

I just thought her attitude was un-warranted and ignorant. All the people here are very genorous. Email me the address, and send me a list of stuff you want also.

• jtight
    9 years ago

@ Scorp - appreciate the donation as will the participants. I'll get throughnthe other items as well.

@ ajsmamma - We will treat the sitauition as a "Newbie."

Johnny

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That was very generous scorp_john. It will be most appreciated among all here including the powder if Johnny wants to pass it around.

I believe we may have passed Johnny's goal of 2200 with this box. Next goal 3000 pks.

2 weeks to go people. Get those packages in.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Thanks Johnny.

SJohn - you have mail

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ishareflowers talking smack on the santa seed swap. How cruel we are. All I see is a group that is caring and willing to help out their fellow man/woman. There is no mention of those that took the time to help out and will send seeds and other items.

Guess she avoids this board now.

Here is a link that might be useful: santa swap

• jtight
    9 years ago

I enjoyed how we are "so mean." IDK about some people.

Johnny

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Just checking back in for Scorp's email address, I got it bounced back.

Gee, I was going to give her the benefit of the doubt and even emailed her saying it came across weird and sorry for the misunderstanding. I haven't heard back.

But at least there are some people on the santa swap thread who do realize what a generous group there is here. Please don't let 1 person keep you from helping another. We have a common goal here, to give a grieving father something to smile for, even briefly, at the holidays.

I will have to use Gardenweb's email to send address to people, the list is actually above in dmkelly's post Nov 16 18:09. Let me know if you want the address.

I'm really sorry for all the unpleasantness.

• jtight
    9 years ago

Had to move to Thread Three

Johnny

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Seed Swap Thread Three

Sponsored